R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #31
Tech Master

Send a message via Skype™ to ShortCourseOnly

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Not that much how I would like to know.
So for me in basic physics it is the same with weight if you have enough power and always adjusted suspension. But if you get physical look on tyres under more load , chassic and so it isnt the same but how it is?
Not sure I understood your response. Basic physics states that more contact force on the tire will provide increased friction between the surface and the tire. That said the down force is not just related to the overall vehicle weight. Weight transfer, wings, etc provide down force. The entire vehicle performance can be characterized by standard physical principles. There are many books that cover the dynamics of a vehicle. To really understand it you would need to be an engineering student.
Associated SC10 4x4/Havoc Pro SC/Ballistic 550 4.5t
Traxxas Rally Custom Edge/Ballistic 540 10.5t
ShortCourseOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I didnt read all the post so sorry if I repeating what someone else says. Most post I see says lighter is faster. I have found that lighter is not always better with r/c cars. making reference to full scale cars only work so far before you run into one of the conundrums of the "theory of everything" about weight. The bigger the car in size and weight drives easier than a smaller lighter car. I am a 10th scale driver, when I am behind the wheel of a 8th scale car, I giggle, the cars sheer size and weight makes the car soooooooooooo much easier to handle. go run a mini t on a track and tell me your faster with it than a 10th scale vehicle, that will never happen.

all are correct about lightening up on the fluids and spring rates on light car, but you wont see me dropping a 4.5hv 550 in a light SC10 for a mod class, I would use it in my modded and extremely heavy slash, were it needs the motor to get it moving. with my heavy weight I have to run thicker fluids and spring rate to get a consistent feel, but yea know what? my heavier truck drives with more authority, ruts and bumps dont bother it as much and when there is fender to fender contact you can guess who wins that battle, ME and my heavy truck!

but I know from track to track things change, so whats fast on one track might not be the fastest on another! Light cars will be faster on some tracks and heavy cars will have the advantage on other tracks!
!!!!! OFFICIAL TEAM TURTLE TRAX TEAM DRIVER!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!NEXT LEVEL ADDICTIONS CUSTOM PAINT!!!!!!!
synap2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #33
Tech Adept

Yea in battle weight can result in your rival to spin. But I think that if I make my car 200g heavier I would have a better feeling of it but it wouldnt be that fast. Maybe its better to get it into hands instead of trying to make it handling more consistent by adding weight on it. But maybe its better to overweight your car if you need to balance front/rear, right?
L@gger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In a stock class racing go with the lighter car, in mod class weight does not matter as much, unless you race a extremely high traction, small 50' straight, blue groove track. Where the benefits of a lighter car's acceleration can be seen in the mod classes.

adding weight to front of car for more overall steering is a common practice for me!
!!!!! OFFICIAL TEAM TURTLE TRAX TEAM DRIVER!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!NEXT LEVEL ADDICTIONS CUSTOM PAINT!!!!!!!
synap2012 is offline   Reply With Quote