CVDs vs Dogbones

Old 06-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default CVDs vs Dogbones

I have a T4 team kit which came with CVDs, but last week I broke one of the drive axles and didn't notice it until I was preparing to race on friday night. My LHS was out of axles so I borrowed a set of dogbones from a fellow racer just so I could run. Racing on an outdoor dirt track on friday, then today on an indoor dirt track, I've got to say, dogbones feel faster! Since I've gotten my T4 the rear end has always felt a little loose on power, but with the dogbones it feels WAY more planted like I can carry speed and put the power down more effectively. CVD's are advertised as "better", but from my own experience it seems like dogbones feel better, smoother, and easier to drive (not to mention faster) than CVDs. Am I crazy?
Old 06-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

For a nice, smooth high-bite track cvd,s are the way too go. If the tracks your running on are a little rough, bumpy things like that then dogbones are better. You would have to ask Aaron Waldron what the actual difference is, hes the guy who knows, but this is what iknow from experience.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

psbarger,

What you said isn't crazy at all. Dogbones give you a lot more onpower traction and bind up much less the angle of the axle increases. In fact, almost all of the Losi drivers are using dogbones now. Even the new XXXT MF2 comes stock with dogbones.

As Brian said, sometimes on really smooth high bite tracks then CVDs are the way to go, but in most cases you should stick with dogbones.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Wahoo, I'm not completely insane.

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'm going to buy the replacement parts I need to get my CVDs running, and also the parts for dogbones so I'll have them both, but at my track I think I'm sticking with the dogbones for a while.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What us Losi guys use are actually just standard universals with a plastic yoke, less bind than a CVD, but more than an actual dogbone, dogbone as in having the drive shaft that infaces with an drive cup on both ends. Sliders have even less bind than dogbones as long as they are clean, but I don't think anyone makes them for AE trucks. This is basically how the theory goes, more bind (CVD's) give more forward traction, but less side bite, less bind gives less forward traction and better side bite, plus better acceleration over bumpy surfaces.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Many of the AE team drivers have started using dogbones instead of the CVD's for this exact reason. CVD's are becoming less and less popular on off-road vehicles; as one Team Losi driver put it, "if I put CVD's on any of my cars, it instantly feels like something is broken." Even on smooth tracks, we still won't use CVD's, because dogbones will give you more corner speed.

Dogbones, in theory, will give you more sidebite, and will be more stable through bumps. CVD's bind under power, which will give you more forward bite, and make the car square up faster (like wheelnut said). Losi's universals are like dogbones due to the plastic-on-metal contact at the yoke.

Sliders are the most free of the three, and work awesome on most hooked-up tracks, but get dirty and wear out quickly. BK bones, where the outdrive is milled out and bearings are used on the outdrive pins, free the rear end up like sliders do, but last much longer.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

Aron

Is this for gas truck, and which dog bone are the using, and who is switching??

Thanks
Dave mac

PS
any way you could get Jared tebos set up??
Old 06-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

D Mac - Associated's electric racers are using the dogbones from the RTR B4 and T4 on their Factory Team race cars.

All the same concepts apply to gas trucks as well. Associated hasn't gone to the dogbones yet on the GT..but you just might see them (or the option to use them) on the new GT..however long that may be..

I won't see Jared for a while, so you might want to e-mail Associated or check their website. I know he uses a lot of hand-fabricated parts on his truck.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Aron

Thanks abunch, I know ae is not your cup of tea, thanks for answering, ygm

Thanks
Dave Mac
Old 06-12-2004, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

R/C is my cup of tea..I'm here to help you guys out!
Old 06-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Forgot to post this the other day, but thanks alot for the information Aaron! I definatly feel that the dogbones are better than CVDs on my track after more testing, somewhere around 10 seconds faster in a 5 minute race!
Old 06-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Haha..no problem!
Old 06-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

I have a XXX-T. Is there anywheres I can get lighter wheigh dogbones? Would Team Losi sell some aftermarket ones??
Old 06-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Losi used to make aluminum dogbones, but I'm not sure if they still do.

Check with your LHS, they may have some laying around. If not, hopefully they'll have the part number to order some.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Psbarger

that is a lot of time thats awesome, I may just have to try that on my GT,

Thanks
Dave mac

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.