R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-04-2004, 06:57 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Post Motor Cleaning Howto with pics!

Here is motor cleaning howto I wrote for another site, though you guys might get a kick out of it or even give me some tips!

I know that allmost everybody knows how to do this allready, but I though it would be neat to write a howto. Plus it keeps me away from the sauce. and I might even get some tips!!!

Here are all the tools we need to clean our motor, most important is the small philips screwdriver.

Here is the motor we are going to be working on, last weeks a-main 3rd place truck OPEN motor. no its not a stock

We can now start by pulling out the brush springs and then pulling out the brushes.

Now you can loosen the two small phillips screws that hold the endbell on, then remove the endbell from the motor(MAKE SURE YOU KEEP TRACK OF THE WASHERS!!!!!!!). Once the endbell is removed you can remove the ring inside the motor, then you can finally pull out the arm. here is my motor completly taken apart.

Once you have everything taken apart you can now hose everythig off with motor spray, Motor spray is highly recommended because it is gentle on electronics I have seen some people use brake cleaner for cars but this may harm your motor , I usually spray untill the runoff is clear.

wicked cleaning action shots!

Can

Endbell

Arm

Here is our icky arm, this one has roughly 30 runs on it(all at tchr!!!!), you can tell that this guy is ready for a cut.

Now we get to bust out that expensive lathe and get ready to cut the motor, I wont go too in depth on how th use the lathe in this howto but I will show you pics of the general process.

Here I have the arm in the lathe and am oiling up the v-notches so the arm spins oh so nice

Here I am marking the comm with a marker to get ready for the cutting.

Here is a crappy pic of the comm after I cut it, you can tell it looks much better now

After you cut your comm you always want to replace your brushes, here we can see the old brush on the bottom and the new brush on the top, man that old one looks nasty!!!

You can now go ahead and reassemble your motor by placing the washers on the arm then placing it in the can, after that you can place the endbell holding ring back in the can then place the washers on the comm end of the arm then re mount the endbell. Now you can replace the brushes on the motor, and last but not least you can oil up those BALL BEARINGS

Last edited by kruthles; 11-19-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: image links
kruthles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:14 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to EvilGavin

cool writeup

tchr = twin city hobby/raceway...?

i might start racing my bk2 there tomorrow...im still fairly new at this stuff tho

i was there last week with my mfe...race once and broke my servo gears =/
EvilGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Hmm, ball bearings in a stocker?

Good tips!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:52 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

tchr = twin city hobby/raceway...?

it sure does, I plan to make it there tomorrow if I can get up on time look for the guy with long hair and the blast from the past 80's paintjob red and white losi truck.

you could try setting the servo save a little looser so if you smack it on something there is a little more give.

Aaron, the ball bearings in the stock motor is sorta an inside joke
Old 01-05-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
Hmm, ball bearings in a stocker?
Why not BB, Bushings suck.
I do not understand why people still are forced to race with bushings.
Snikkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Keeps the price of stock racing affordable for everyone.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Snikkari
Why not BB, Bushings suck.
I do not understand why people still are forced to race with bushings.
He's just saying stock motors don't have bearings.

And I knew somebody stole my toothbrush!!!!!
jbrow1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

I move the pics to a new server to they should be back up.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

You may get different responses on this, but I NEVER motor spray ball bearings. I gently remove them from the endbell and can (okay, I use a big hammer ) and spray the can/endbell to clean them, then reinstall the bearings.

Why? I was told by a very good motor guy (many years ago) never to spray out the bearings, the grease inside is way better than the thin oil you apply afterwards the get slung out with the RPMs we turn.
jk racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:51 AM   #10
Tech Master

Good write up. I remember the first few times I rebuilt my motor, I forgot about the washers and they don't go so good when they can slop around in the can!
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:14 AM   #11

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

whats a motor rebuild? What is cutting a com?
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:53 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk racing View Post
You may get different responses on this, but I NEVER motor spray ball bearings. I gently remove them from the endbell and can (okay, I use a big hammer ) and spray the can/endbell to clean them, then reinstall the bearings.

Why? I was told by a very good motor guy (many years ago) never to spray out the bearings, the grease inside is way better than the thin oil you apply afterwards the get slung out with the RPMs we turn.
I agree with this - keep the motor spray off the bearings - they last a lot longer and run a lot smoother if the original grease is not flushed out.

Another point - no need to fully remove the endbell screws and then pull out the timing ring seperately. Undo the screws a couple of turns and you should just be able to rotate the endbell and lift the whole thing off the motor, timing ring and all, makes rebuild a lot easier.

And it looks like there is still some Sharpie left on your cut comm - could do with another pass to get it perfect!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Great writeup! I'm waiting now for the brushless maintenance guide!

Seriously....I think this is one of the reasons I quit electric a while back.....
Old 11-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

What was that "thing" you had the armature in ?

what do people use those for ? Preventing their set-up sheets from blowing away ?