Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hobbyking.com RIP-OFF

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by speedin
Does anyone know for sure that all lipos come from the same couple of factories? Anybody know the names these factories? Who are the biggest lipo battery manufactures in china?
This is a marketing ploy to make it look like more expensive batteries are the same as the less expensive batteries.

Originally Posted by R40Victim
If you want evidence; buy one Domestic pack for I dunno, $100+(make sure it has a nifty label with all sorts of high numbers and guarantees, etc...), then buy one of the comparable Turnigy packs for $20. Run them in the same RC back to back... tell us the difference. I think you may laugh a while, then try to sell the $100 pack to some fanboy that can't live without a nifty label. Then go buy yourself 5 more ternigy packs.
This true and no different than a guy who buys a sport NiMH pack compared to a matched one or a guy who is unable to do better lap times with a name brand R/C car versus a cheap copy.

I always wonder about the regular lives of those that are diehard cheap/inexpensive LiPo users. Does this same philosophy exist in their everyday lives? Do they buy all their clothes at low-cost retailers? Do they buy shoes direct from China? Do they buy generic?

I doubt there is anyone on RCTech that doesn't have at least a few name brand (and relativily expensive) items scattered around their house.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

I am not doubting you...I am curious...Who knows the name of the three manufacturers of lipo cells in china and or korea?

Secondly, If all lipos come from three different companies in china or korea....then companies like max amps, smc...ect, are up charging that much??? If the actual cells, are the same in an smc pack vs a pack from hobby king, then why is smc, max amps soo much more?? Are they really making that much a profit. If it is like you say, then smc, or max amps gets their batteries from china, assembles them here in the u.s.a, then re sells them for a huge profit? I know one of the issues with hobby kings packs, are not the cells usually, its mostly the defects in assembling the packs that causes the faliures.
Something doesn't sound right with that...but maybe i am wrong.
Yup that's right.

But I think that Max amps, SMC, etc. are paying extra to get better cells, or specially made cells.

But they're still marking them up a ton.

No different than RC8's, 8ieght's, D8's being made in Tawian for next to nothing and trippleing in price on the boat ride over here.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Back to same question....name the companies that manufacture lipos........
Old 07-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I see alot of cheaper packs in racers pits but see the same racers again a month later they have new or different packs and you may see a few of the older cheapies taped back together. Not every good pack is 130 bucks and not every pack is the same quality as the $18.00+$20 S&H packs. That being said I also don't hold a grudge between those groups as long as I get a season+ out of what I use I am happy.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

I am not doubting you...I am curious...Who knows the name of the three manufacturers of lipo cells in china and or korea?

Secondly, If all lipos come from three different companies in china or korea....then companies like max amps, smc...ect, are up charging that much??? If the actual cells, are the same in an smc pack vs a pack from hobby king, then why is smc, max amps soo much more?? Are they really making that much a profit. If it is like you say, then smc, or max amps gets their batteries from china, assembles them here in the u.s.a, then re sells them for a huge profit? I know one of the issues with hobby kings packs, are not the cells usually, its mostly the defects in assembling the packs that causes the faliures.
Something doesn't sound right with that...but maybe i am wrong.
In all likelihood, the main question will never be answered. That would be releasing a "Trade Secret", and I highly doubt any of them would.

If we all had definitive proof that those cells came from the same place, nobody in their right mind would pay the exorbitant prices that the Domestic companies charge... would they?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I always wonder about the regular lives of those that are diehard cheap/inexpensive LiPo users. Does this same philosophy exist in their everyday lives? Do they buy all their clothes at low-cost retailers? Do they buy shoes direct from China? Do they buy generic?

I doubt there is anyone on RCTech that doesn't have at least a few name brand (and relativily expensive) items scattered around their house.
Man I see some scrubs at the track, some guys look like that have never showered and they wear the same thing every time. However they have nice R/C stuff, but cheap clothing and a POS real car. I would much rather spend a few bucks saving on a battery for practice and bashing. And the coin I save use to buy the higher quality packs for racing and some clean clothes, a tooth brush and water for a shower.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Suspended

I've ordered from Hobbyking loads of times and fortunately never had a problem. Internet shopping is always risky, and it's just luck at times.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hobbipro
What exactly is the issue with these packs? I had a top name/band pack show up at my door with one cell reading bad on my charger. I had to actually disconnect my balance plug and charge it as a NiMh for a few minutes to get some voltage in that cell. It would then charge in lipo mode, but took a long time to balance it out. But after a few cycles it would stay up with the other cell in the pack. Moral of the story, even expensive packs will have issues.
Yep ive done this too, a bit scary but just dont leave it ont too long
Old 07-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had 2 SMC 50c packs that puffed up shortly after I got them. I have some Turnigy packs that are way older and are still charging and running perfect. I have also have 2 thunder power batteries. The 2 cell thunder power has balancing issues and the 3 cell wont run longer than 3800 MAH ever though its listed as a 5000.

Just facts, make your own decisions. Im sure some people have had issues with Turingy but at less then 1/4 of the cost of the big name batteries I can buy 3 more that will work.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
I`m all about supporting my hobby shop , but when I can get a lipo that performs just as good or better then my high dollar lipo for a fraction of the price I will do so . In this economy I can not/will not spend $100+ for a lipo .
X 2 on that statment!!
Old 07-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Back to same question....name the companies that manufacture lipos........
Ive been known to be wrong but......Id venture to guess 80% if not more of the bats come from overseas reguardless of the label/brand, like everything else supply demand....Im surprised HK hasnt jacked up thier prices cuzz of thier huge volume/demand, on the flip side they sell enuff to be able keep thier prices down
Old 07-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by drive2survive
Ive been known to be wrong but......Id venture to guess 80% of the bats come from overseas reguardless of the label/brand, like everything else supply demand....Im surprised HK hasnt jacked up thier prices cuzz of thier huge volume/demand, on the flip side they sell enuff to be able keep thier prices down
I agree....but there have been numerous posts on here of people stating that lipos come from a handfull of factories. What are the names of these companies that produce lipo cells for companies like smc, max amps...thunder power...ect......anybody? Im sure the details are secret, but the manufactor can't be totally hidden because they wouldnt make any money them selves. You think that the company that supplies the cells to smc, only supplies to SMC? I highly doubt it......Cmon someone has to know one of these companies in china.....anybody
Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

the companies who charge big $$$ and bost about there packs need to show some testing to prove there worth the extra $$$
turnigy/hk have nothing to prove as there not the ones boasting.
i have tested and have seen first hand data between the big $$$ batts and the turnigy batts.
i can say turnigy not only the best bang for buck but match the more expensive brands some even better
Old 07-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Yup that's right.

But I think that Max amps, SMC, etc. are paying extra to get better cells, or specially made cells.
It is a known fact by many that MaxAmps take regular cells and jack up the price. Maxamps also have a very high known failure rate. SMC's are "better" cells.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing
SMC's are "better" cells.
I agree that SMC are good cells, but I have had 4 of them and 3 of them are puffing after less than 7 months of use. But what I have to say is that they are A+ for customer service. I contacted SMC and they replaced them for no charge, they even paid shipping when returning the new ones to me.

But the next ones I buy, I will be trying Turnigy from HK. For that price I will take a chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.