Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
hobbyking.com RIP-OFF >

hobbyking.com RIP-OFF

hobbyking.com RIP-OFF

Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I personally have 12 lipos purchased from hobbyking as well as several friends who have "shared" an order to save $$ so far over 25 lipos all Turnigy but different mah and C ratings.

NOT A SINGLE FAILURE...... we all race weekly at a local track and run them in brushless vehicles so they are not babied. I run mine in a brushless Emaxx, E-Revo and Slash 4x4 so the get used.

I expected to have issues and always ordered more than I needed "just in case" heck at that price who cares and so far have been very pleased. My local hobbyshop also purchases them and re-labels them for re-sale. I would bet over 50% of the lipos at my local track came from Hobbyking.

Sorry you had a bad experience....but many LHS will not warranty lipos anyway. You have to deal with the manufacturere on the battery wty.

Sorry again...... but Hobbyking will continue to be where I get my lipos....hopefully my luck will hold out.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Exactly how is this "buyer beware" ?

Maybe be aware to read the terms and conditions before buying something . Hobby King did exactly what their T&C state .
Once bitten, twice shy.
You're on a mission to criticize everything I have to say. As was already pointed out, I was chasing cheap. I thought I'd share my experience to give someone else a perspective they may not have otherwise considered.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

They have a new thing now where they are sticking labels on the back of their packs with warranty codes. You have to enter the code into the website within 24 hours of it being delivered to validate the warranty. Smart for them, bad for us. Especially those of us who resell them.
I've placed 22 orders with them in the past 16 months with over $5,000 in batteries and had a total of 1 arrive bad. It was actually sold to a guy in North Carolina and he informed me of it being bad. (I had checked it when it arrived and it was fine but another story)
I accepted the return, sent it to HK, and about 5 weeks later had a new battery.
I've also had 1 charger arrive dead.
That's 2 items out of more than $5,000 worth. Maybe I'm lucky, I don't know.

As stated, you could buy 5 batteries, have 2 come dead, and still have 3 good ones for less than a single MaxAmps pack. To me it's worth it. To others, not so much.

I have $850 worth of lipos on the way that I will be selling and I personally will warranty every one of them. No dealing with HK so let me know if you're interested.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by utah300rum View Post
Sorry you had a bad experience....but many LHS will not warranty lipos anyway. You have to deal with the manufacturere on the battery wty.
I know more hobby shops that do battery warranties for people than ones that don't. You support our shop, we support you. If your hobby shop does not help you as much as they are capable of, then move your business. I just had a cheap lipo come into the shop today that was blown up when plugged into the charger the first time. The user was a veteran of the hobby and DID know what he was doing. He plans to never purchase that brand again and we helped make him happy. That was a Common Sense lipo (Not much sense, ). Cheap lipos are exactly that, cheap. You buy a Thunder Power, SMC, Acorn, etc, you get what you pay for.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I`m all about supporting my hobby shop , but when I can get a lipo that performs just as good or better then my high dollar lipo for a fraction of the price I will do so . In this economy I can not/will not spend $100+ for a lipo .
Old 07-21-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

We ordered 6 lipos from Hobbyking 4 months ago and they are all still working fine. The same batteries we got for $50 each would have cost $150 at an e-tailer and probably closer to $200 at a hobby shop.

Even if 2-3 of batteries ended up being defective, we still would have saved compared to buying them full retail prices.

I'm all for supporting hobby shops, but, my recent experience with buying direct is making me question whether or not the markups RC enthusiasts are accustomed to paying are fair.

I'm not blaming the store as much the whole process that makes us pay $150 for a product that probably costs $20-25 to make.

Last edited by Ed237; 07-21-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Like any product, when the price comes down something has got to give. In this case, like many discount Asian RC products, customer service and quality control are sacrificed.

The worst I've had from HobbyCity is a pack or two that came in pretty out of balance, but the cells synced right back up after a slow balance cycle.

You just have to accept the higher risk of getting a bunk pack, and a more scrutinizing process to claim a warranty. IMO even if I do get a few bad packs (which I'm sure will happen sooner or later) the savings are still worth it. If you want to have the customer service and quality control to be better, you're going to have to buy from a US-based company and pay the markup, that's what they are charging for.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well after reading this entire thread, I believe it can be summed up like this:

1. Beware of buying cheap batteries...sometimes you get what you pay for.

2. On the other hand, even if 1 out of 3 are bad, its still cheaper to order from HK.

3. Majority of buyers have had positive experience with the HK lipos, few others have not and that's always discouraging to those few.

PS- I am one of those few. I ordered 4 Turnigy...registered all 4 within 24hrs.
One of them puffed on the first "balance charge". HK said if you use the battery or charge it=warranty voided. So without a voltage check right out of the box, the warranty is worthless.

Two of the remaining usable three will not balance during the balance charge. I end up having to leave them on a balancer over night and recharge/cycle to get them matched up. Hey, at least one of them works right for $100!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

To me it is funny that you would spend $1000.00 on kit, parts, accessories, tires, radio, and then buy a cheap HK lipo. To me that is disgraceful. In this current economy, you should spend your money wisely on good product. Ive had to many issues come threw the hobby shop with cheap batteries. And who at turnegy (SP?) decided that it was a good idea to use 10 gauge wire on 2 cell lipos? So difficult to solder, its ridiculous. And most people want Deans on them or traxxas connectors.

Funny thread, funny thread.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Sometimes, I buy those cheapie $1 scratch-off lottery tickets from the lottery retailer, and they don't win. Guess what, no warrenty on those either. Buyer beware on those too!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Great point about the connectors. I wish you never brought that up. Now I'm really bumming about how it took all of my fee time and money to solder up those Deans connectors.

Oh well, At least I still have that $200. Maybe I'll Tower-up a T4.1 just for the hell of it to console myself with.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tb62 View Post
Buyer Beware. New to RCs & to this forum but have gleaned info over the last few months (thank you) and wanted to pass along a word of warning dealing with hobbyking.com. As I understand it, all LIPOs come from the same couple of factories so I figured I'd look for the best deal. Long story short - I ordered 2 LIPOs from hobbyking and when I finally got around to soldering connectors, I found 1 battery was no good. Shame on me, it was after their 30 day warranty on LIPOs that I discovered the problem.

Knowingly taking the risk, my buddy & I ordered 4 LIPOs. He had no problem. Upon testing, I had another bad battery. It was well within 30 days so I emailed hobbyking for support. I was told that because I did not notify them of the battery problem THE DAY they were delivered, this was not under warranty. Nowhere on their site does it indicate a warranty for LIPO must be made the day of delivery.

I ordered 6 batteries and 2 were bad. Even if they would have warrantied them, I would have paid for shipping back to Hong Kong (+$25) which is more than the battery is worth.

Something to consider when dealing w/ offshore internet suppliers.
Does anyone know for sure that all lipos come from the same couple of factories? Anybody know the names these factories? Who are the biggest lipo battery manufactures in china?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by speedin View Post
Does anyone know for sure that all lipos come from the same couple of factories? Anybody know the names these factories? Who are the biggest lipo battery manufactures in china?
If you want evidence; buy one Domestic pack for I dunno, $100+(make sure it has a nifty label with all sorts of high numbers and guarantees, etc...), then buy one of the comparable Turnigy packs for $20. Run them in the same RC back to back... tell us the difference. I think you may laugh a while, then try to sell the $100 pack to some fanboy that can't live without a nifty label. Then go buy yourself 5 more ternigy packs.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bbecker View Post
Failure rate is about 3 Percent... I have order about 100 batteries total from them between me and my buddies...
Exactly.

I've bought and sold over 2 dozen of these packs now. I have one 4 cell that has one cell that won't balence. It's down .2 volts. I use it for practice.

The rest have been fine. I'm way, way ahead on cost compared to even the more reasonable batteries out there.

I'll stick to my Turnigy and Zippy lipos.

I find it interesting that some didn't read/check HK's warranty rules. I mean isn't there a metric ton of "buyer beware" clues on thier website???

Red Flag #1: Goofy, cheap looking website.
Red Flag #2: Pics of Chinese models hoding products.
Red Flag #3: Ships from China, a Godless nation where the Communist Goverment executes women and children for fun.
Red Flag #4: Too cheap to be true.

How many clues deos it take before you think " Hmmmm, I better read the rules on the site and reviews at Rctech???"

I was pretty sure I was going to get ripped when I did my first order. But I'm pleasantly surprized that they've sent me good stuff so far.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 07-21-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: The best Wonton soup is from Ohio anyway!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
If you want evidence; buy one Domestic pack for I dunno, $100+(make sure it has a nifty label with all sorts of high numbers and guarantees, etc...), then buy one of the comparable Turnigy packs for $20. Run them in the same RC back to back... tell us the difference. I think you may laugh a while, then try to sell the $100 pack to some fanboy that can't live without a nifty label. Then go buy yourself 5 more ternigy packs.
I am not doubting you...I am curious...Who knows the name of the three manufacturers of lipo cells in china and or korea?

Secondly, If all lipos come from three different companies in china or korea....then companies like max amps, smc...ect, are up charging that much??? If the actual cells, are the same in an smc pack vs a pack from hobby king, then why is smc, max amps soo much more?? Are they really making that much a profit. If it is like you say, then smc, or max amps gets their batteries from china, assembles them here in the u.s.a, then re sells them for a huge profit? I know one of the issues with hobby kings packs, are not the cells usually, its mostly the defects in assembling the packs that causes the faliures.
Something doesn't sound right with that...but maybe i am wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service