Search

Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default gear diif oil...

Guys,

Here is my rationale for selecting gear diff oil. Not magic, just technical common sense mixed with a little preferred taste - meaning you might not like exactly what I like.

4K, or a lighter oil on high bite tight tracks that require a lot of turn in. Lighter oil will provide more "diff action," which is ok when you have enough forward bite and need mad steering.

7K for those in-between tracks and surfaces. For example, when traction is good, not great, and the track is of a reasonable size. Smaller amount of "diff action."

10K / 15K for large, outdoor, loose tracks where traction is at a premium and you want a stable car and don't want or need a huge amount of turn in - much, much less "diff action."

I wish they sold diff oil in variety packs, but sadly, I've not seen any. At any rate, a few bucks will last forever.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Is anyone running the ball diff? all i see is everybody is running the geared diff? Why?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zanernator
Is anyone running the ball diff? all i see is everybody is running the geared diff? Why?
Unless they purchase one, or have the standard SC to butcher for it.. They are running the Ball in the SC-R.. It comes standard equiped with it.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Ty
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I just picked up my SC-R kit from the LHS. What JConcepts bodies fit without much modification? Also I need a suggestion for tires on a hard packed indoor clay track. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm using the ball diff in my SC. Works great in loose to hard tracks. I'm also using the ball diff in my RB5 for mod racing.

I'm really glad they went with 3/32" balls because I have a bunch of carbide balls from my old Losis.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ty
I just picked up my SC-R kit from the LHS. What JConcepts bodies fit without much modification? Also I need a suggestion for tires on a hard packed indoor clay track. Thanks.
I've had the best luck with Panther Switch Clay tires. They are way better than anything else I've tried.

I also just picked up some Pro-Line Suburbs MC as they were designed specifically for indoor clay. Haven't tried them yet but I'm a big fan of Pro-Line.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ty
The Manta requires almost no mods to fit. Just use the rear body mount dimples and the fronts will be in between the dimples. You will need to trim some of the fenders in front but then you would have to do that with any body except a Kyosho.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Looks like the Track Star/ ShortCourseHQ team will be running them soon
I officially retract this statement......

Our Pro drivers will NOT be running Kyosho Products nor endorsing them.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Ty
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AreCee
The Manta requires almost no mods to fit. Just use the rear body mount dimples and the fronts will be in between the dimples. You will need to trim some of the fenders in front but then you would have to do that with any body except a Kyosho.
Is this the Manta body you are referring to: JCI0064 Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ty
I currently run a set of worn Goosebumps (they work SOOOOO much better worn), but Double Dees and Bar Codes work well on my buggy. They feel more connected and predictable. I think I'm going to try some of the AKA Wishbones and Double Dees next.

Up front I run a set of Proline Calibers, which I personally think suck in the rear.

Originally Posted by zanernator
Less maintenance, and set-it-and-forget-it ease. Theres nothing at all wrong with the ball diff, but it requires more upkeep.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

guys what should i gear my sc-r at with a Novak 10.5ss with tekin rs the only spur i got is the 82 but if it fits i have team associated ones?

and thanks for the diff replys i was just wondering cuz i always have ball diffs
Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Nankinhobby.com has the Ultima SC R in stock

http://www.nankinhobby.com/Cars-and-...prod_2611.html

thanks
Old 07-21-2010, 10:32 PM
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by obsoletex
Unless they purchase one, or have the standard SC to butcher for it.. They are running the Ball in the SC-R.. It comes standard equiped with it.
Anyone interested in us putting together the parts for the Kyosho gear diff? I just ordered the parts for my SC-R, and I thought it might be a good option (tuning or low maintenance) part for other SC-R/RB-5/RT-5 drivers. Price would be in the $30's. PM or email me if you're in.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
I officially retract this statement......

Our Pro drivers will NOT be running Kyosho Products nor endorsing them.
What changed?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by celt
Guys,

Here is my rationale for selecting gear diff oil. Not magic, just technical common sense mixed with a little preferred taste - meaning you might not like exactly what I like.

4K, or a lighter oil on high bite tight tracks that require a lot of turn in. Lighter oil will provide more "diff action," which is ok when you have enough forward bite and need mad steering.

7K for those in-between tracks and surfaces. For example, when traction is good, not great, and the track is of a reasonable size. Smaller amount of "diff action."

10K / 15K for large, outdoor, loose tracks where traction is at a premium and you want a stable car and don't want or need a huge amount of turn in - much, much less "diff action."

I wish they sold diff oil in variety packs, but sadly, I've not seen any. At any rate, a few bucks will last forever.
How about a large, outdoor loamy track where traction is not that good unless the track is made wet.. And running stock tires in stock class?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.