Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread >

Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread

Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo911 View Post
Building to kit specs, 35 losi front, 30 rear, yellow bb front, red or orange bb rear.

How much or how little rebound to set shocks? And what does rebound do for this truck.
Red and orange rears are a huge difference. Unless you are running carpet i do not see any need for orange rears. Thats just waaay too stiff.

Run the reds for low to medium bite tracks and run the yellow on medium to high bite tracks. Orange for carpet.

Up front you will probably use the yellow most of the time. Maybe the orange on higher bite tracks.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks guys. Will be using HPI rims or Proline rims made for Slash. How about the tyres? If I use HPI rims, will I be stuck with HPI tyres? Or can I use Proline tyres without mods?

Another thing, I have the SCR and gonna be installing SP motor and motor spacer with SP gear shaft. Is that enough if Im going
to combine it with a 550 ballistic motor? Or it only works with 540s?

Thanks

Last edited by Airflow; 07-03-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Airflow View Post
Thanks guys. Will be using HPI rims or Proline rims made for Slash. How about the tyres? If I use HPI rims, will I be stuck with HPI tyres? Or can I use Proline tyres without mods?

Another thing, I have the SCR and gonna be installing SP motor and motor spacer with SP gear shaft. Is that enough if Im going
to combine it with a 550 ballistic motor? Or it only works with 540s?

Thanks
Any tires will work. A 540 motor is all you need. If a 550 can will fit, stock up on tranny parts because you will be fixing it a lot
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Yeti AS3 View Post
Any tires will work. A 540 motor is all you need. If a 550 can will fit, stock up on tranny parts because you will be fixing it a lot
Ok, Ill just follow your recommendation to just use a 540. Right now, it's running
on Ballistic 10.5 with Novak Edge. Ill just upgrade to Havoc SCT Pro or GTB 2.
Good to know any tires will work.

Thanks man.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Tech Rookie

I know guys that run orange up front and in the rear. On outside loose tracks and inside high bite. And their trucks operate great.
I run orange in the front with reds in the rear. Truck jumps so perfectly and far and I have grear traction in the rear. 3oz weight behind battery, 3/4 ounce wt on front bulkhead, 1/2 oz on each side in middle of chassi.
I use to be alittle looser coming out of corners that I wanted to be so I added 1mm shim to the rear of the truck to take out some anti-squat. Now I can get on the throttle alittle harder and earlier out of every turn
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi, can I use other brand springs from Blitz or SC10 or Losi's? Will they fit? Kyosho parts are hard to find in my area. But if I get to order Kyosho SCR springs, what do you guys recommend so I can have more tuning options.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Rookie

As for spring fitting, I would stick to the kyosho springs that are made for the scr, unless you just have some laying around from another vehicle and you want to try them, that way you will not be wasteing money if they dont work. I have a Team C 2wd SCT also and I run Losi 22 green springs in the rear and like some white rustler springs in the front. It works great, but I didnt have to take a chance on buying them, I just had em and tryed em.

I run orange in the front of my scr and reds in the back, my truck is completely dialed in this way. So Im gonna tell you to order these and be done with it. But thats just my opinion. You might want to play it safe and get the yellows for the front and the reds for the rear. That is what most people would probably say to get. But I have yellows and I dont even run them at all. I either do oranges all the way around or (orange front and reds rear)this setup feels best to me.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Tech Rookie

dont get in a hurry, just because the local hobby stores dont carry kyosho parts or springs. Just order the right parts and wait a week and you will have them. Dont go waste money on a part that doesnt perform and then end up replaceing it later. imo
Old 07-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default kyosho scr setup

Here is my setup.. Completely Dialed this way. I run this setup for low and high traction, dont change anything but tires and its always fast
Front..
30 degree caster w/.5mm spacer
shocks= out up top, middl bottom ( shock mount block to inside on a-arms)
camber link= middle on bulk, inside on C-hubs
(C-hubs to the rear, both spacers up front, its aggressive turning this way so dont turn to early at all or your in the pipe..1.5 neg camber, .5 maybe 1 toe out..Orange springs, arms level, sometimes alittle below if no big jumps, 40wt losi oil in front shocks
Rear..
Shocks= inside up top, outside on a-arms
Red springs, 35wt losi oil, always below arms level, adjust to traction
Camber link= middle on rear bulk, forward outside hole on 1 degree strc rear hubs, 3mm spacer under that ball stud at rear hub,
1-2 degree neg camber, adjust to track
use standard RF blocks in truck but add the 1mm spacer in the rear under the far rear toe block, this takes away some of the anti-squat. Makes my truck come out of the curves a whole lot faster without getting loose. the scr has alot of anti-squat at stock build and does not need that much. Since adding the 1mm spacer to the rear, its made me so much faster with my truck.
*The only spacers I have under ball studs on the entire truck are only at the rear 1 degree hubs, 3mm.. No spacers at all on the front under any ball studs.
For tires I like Hot bodies Beams and Pro-line Tazers the most, really impressed by the tazers, they work descent everywhere
3oz weight all the way in the rear behind battery, 3/4 ounce on front bulkhead, 1/2 ounce on each side of chassis alittle more that halfway down the chassis, alittle more to the rear than to the front, (if that makes since)
I might have forgot something, if so just ask

Last edited by fayettevilleman; 07-05-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: clear up something
Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fayettevilleman View Post
arms level, sometimes alittle below if no big jumps
egad, why do you do that ?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Rookie

i will only do that in the front if I'm racing inside and the traction is great. It helps to keep from traction rolling, im not talking about alot below, just a little bit. But im always below level in the rear, especialy outside on low traction tracks.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

It is this one
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...llow-65-ZX-5-2

and this one?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Medium-Hard-2

But it says big bores...
Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Ive got the kyosho scr sp kit with big bores, the orange, yellow and red springs are not completely colored like those in your links you posted. the kyosho big bore springs are all black, but they will have a small red, yellow or orange strip painted at the top of the springs. Just enough so you can see it. I will find a link to show you what im talking about.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Rookie

well it will not let me post a link taking you to them, so just go to kyoshoamerica.com click on parts and accesories, then click off road electric, then click 2wd truck, 30850 ultima scr, then click option parts, go to page 7 of the option parts and there you will see all the springs.

There you will find the front in reds, yellow and orange (m)
and you will also see the rear in same colors (LL)

You see how there is just a small dash or actually red, yellow or orange on the shocks, the whole shock isnt red like you might be thinking. Keep in mind these are for the bigbore shocks on the SCR. which is what you need unless you have the ready to run shocks, if you do then you need to just throw them in the trash, you have better luck just keeping shock oil in a paper towel wrapped around the spring then those shocks keeping oil in them. lol

when you get some shocks, either keep them the same front and back or keep the front stiffer than the rear. I run orange front and red rear and its great that way, wouldnt change for anything. But with that said I got friends whose trucks are super fast and dialed for them and they run orange in front and rear, one runs yellow front and reds in rear, one guy runs yellow front and yellow rear. But the majority of people I race with mostly have orange all the way around the truck. You would think that it would be to stiff in the rear, but its actually not, I ran my truck this way for along time. But I finally settled inwith reds in the rear and oranges in front. So its all gonna be your preference. Everybody likes thier truck to react alittle different and springs and oil weight is a big key in that. Hope this helps

Last edited by fayettevilleman; 07-05-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for your help man.

I just felt that the stock/included rear spring of the SCR are too soft thats why
I want to try out a stiffer spring rate at the rear.

Anyway, whats the spring rates of the stock spring?

Cant seem to figure out which spring set in this Kyosho parts lists:
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread-picture-1.png  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.