Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread >

Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread

Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slotmachine View Post
Since the idler keeps stripping on me I ordered one of these to see if it will fit, it does have the same # of teeth I just hope it is the same diameter. http://www.philshobbyshop.com/catalo...slider_hrl_sct I know....adjust your slipper, I did just enough to make the short approach double. The issue is we are running on indoor asphalt with wood jumps and we have gobs of traction. Other than this one problem the truck is great! I'm only running 1/2 a second a lap behind the fastest 4wd trucks.
Not sure about the size. I guess if it doesn't work, then just back the slipper out a bit.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default ChrisAttebery - T-Plate

Just want to give props to ChrisAttebery for his awesome t-plate. I didn't expect it to arrive as quickly as it did....fast as hell shipping and a great looking product! Can't wait to try it at our club race tomorrow night.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Angry

Having some troubles with my slipper. while racing last night I was noticing that my low end power was not so great. Today took everything apart to see if the diff was loose and it was all fine, then I checked the slipper and the pads had a bit of glazing which I scraped off with a X-Acto knife, but when I tried to set it by holding the rear wheels and hitting the throttle, the front end did not come up at all and it made a deep grrrrrrrrn type sound. Sort of like the sound a ball diff makes slipping but allot deeper. Tried a new spring, which did not help, then the old normal sc-r slipper pads (which were worn) and they were worse. After fiddling with it for a while I tried sanding the slipper discs with some super fine sand paper and that made the nose come up about an inch and a half, then it made the same deep slipping sound and wouldn't come up any more. Every time I tested it the slipper was fully locked down. I am running the SP slipper btw.

Any idea's? Will order some more slipper pads but no local stores carry them and I have a race this weekend
Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Are they sitted right in the notches? Did you sand the disc as well? Is the nylon in the slipper nut worn out causing it to back out?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Tech Regular

Yup, they are seated in the notches. nuts fine, tried another with same results. Did not try sanding the pad, just scraping. will try sanding both pad and disc and see if that works...
Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC demon View Post
Yup, they are seated in the notches. nuts fine, tried another with same results. Did not try sanding the pad, just scraping. will try sanding both pad and disc and see if that works...
Mine sometimes have that glaze or polish in the pads. I take 1500 grit paper until they look like new again. Are you sure the diff is some what tight? Mine is almost locked, not quiet but close.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Def sounds like your diff is loose. If your front end is pulling off the ground while holding the tires, your slipper is prob too tight anyway. You have a heavier SCT, not a buggy. It's best to set your slipper on the track.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Tech Master

I did the same thing when I first put this things together.

Hey curt thanks for the help via pm. Has worked out great!! Going to try out he front hubs this weekend, let you know
Old 06-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Yeti AS3 View Post
Def sounds like your diff is loose. If your front end is pulling off the ground while holding the tires, your slipper is prob too tight anyway. You have a heavier SCT, not a buggy. It's best to set your slipper on the track.
Ya it sounds like a loose diff but its not. Will sand both the pads and the discs then keep it a bit loose this time, hopefully the does that trick.

Thanks both of you for the help.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC demon View Post
Ya it sounds like a loose diff but its not. Will sand both the pads and the discs then keep it a bit loose this time, hopefully the does that trick.

Thanks both of you for the help.
Did you put your radio to 100% when you calibrated your esc to your specific radio? My truck does not do wheelies as I have full 100% expo and the EPA at 80%. If I turn the expo to 0% or -50 it's a wheeling machine with the 7.5 motor even at 80% out of 150. Check your radio as well and put your expo at 0 if it higher than that.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

hey guys i have bn thinking about getting ultima sc r and would like to know a few things about em such as how hard are they to set up and how often do you have to check to see if they hold their adjustments such as cmaber and ride height and such. i have had a 22 and now drive ae buggy, sc and truck, but i want to try something new in comparison to my sc10 cause they are good truck but can get loose such as rear hubs and things like that. i would like to know like how many diff balls do the ultima take and outdrives are they the same as sc10 this way i know what things i can cross over in that aspect of the trucks. what is a good setup to start with for a smooth, high bite clay indoor track and what shocks come on the truck such as bb or standart velvets. how hard are they to set up and what is a needed item to plave on them out of the box, sc10 must have 3 oz behind the battery for traction purposes in all setups you may choose to run. just give me a lot of things to think about before i make my mind up and get one, i think i want to get a high quality used one tho and not try to brreak the bank while doing so if ya know what i mean, idk how i would explain that to the miss lol. thanks guys for your help
Old 06-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Tech Addict

what are the differences between the ultima sc and ultima sc-r, and ultima sc-r sp?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gamedog1966 View Post
what are the differences between the ultima sc and ultima sc-r, and ultima sc-r sp?
Gamedog, off the top of my head you get:
Big bore shocks
redesigned steering rack
motor centering peace
metal wheel hexes

I know there is more.
Kenny
Old 06-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

The ultima sc is the rtr truck. This is the bottom line truck that doesn't have the same quality of part materials as the sc-r. Otherwise, it wouldn't be able to hit the price point it is currently selling at.

The ultima sc-r had the velvet shocks, ball differential, cvd's, one piece upper gear shaft, different slipper plates, hex hardware, upgraded tie-rods.

The ultima sc-r sp starts out as the sc-r but has big bore shocks, off-set motor mount, revised slipper disks, clamping wheel hubs, redesigned servo saver and the aluminum pieces are gun metal.

I am sure I left some gaps but people will also chime in to fill those gaps.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Get the scr sp. there are some great deals here in the for sale section.

The sp has the following Items which are better than the rtr.

Better screws with different thread pitch
Better hard anodized steering rack
Better servo saver
Ball diff
Motor centering plate
Better shocks
Carbon composite chassis
One piece swing shaft axles
Clamp on hexes
Better clutch pads and vented disc.

The ultima has by far more forward traction over the sc10. Less steering though so its less twitchy.

The diff balls are 3-32 size so if you got spares they will fit.

parts aren't that much over the sc10 at all. The weak point in these trucks are the axles. I torch them and dip them in oil to make them stronger. They won't break just bend slightly eventually. Get arms, rear hinges, the front knuckles and Chris attebery rear metal t plate, other than That the truck is solid. As far as set up I don't really believe in them as its different driver and track conditions. The set up the manual calls for is good enough for me.

Now as far as maintenance they hardly ever require any. Bearings last you for a while and the shock oils last so much more than anything I've had. Have had my truck for 2 months running it 2 times a week and the oils look as the first day I filled them in. Now if you buy used truck that's different as I would tear it down completely and make sure everything is in top condition that way you get no surprises when you go out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.