Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transparent Diff Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Transparent Diff Cases

Hey guys, have rebuild and regreased my B44 diffs and my buddys b4 diff today, and at the end i thought- wouldnt it be great if the diff cases where transparent and u dont need to take the hole thing apart just to see if everything in there is alright?

Theres a Plexiglass Manufacturer not far away from me and they produce a wide range of Items and Accessories from Plexiglass and Prototypes, and i was thinking- all they need is a negativ print of the diff case i bring to them...
So iam really willing to give them a call next week, but i also realise that might be very expensive in Production if the quantity is to low, so we will see- ill give them a call and see what happens and if they are able to do it. If the Production is too expensive or too complicated to realise i wont do it for sure but theres nothing wrong with just asking.

But before i go for this i wanted some feedback from u guys- what do you think about this idea and what are the pros and might be a contra on a Transparent (Plexiglass) Diff case?

Yea iam racing so i think it should be durable enough...
Old 07-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

But most of the time, you won't know if anything is wrong until you take apart the diff.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by vabroom
But most of the time, you won't know if anything is wrong until you take apart the diff.
Yea you are right, but my mainly concern is to see the condition of the gears...
Old 07-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

With grease and dirt getting flung around in there as you use the car, having clear cases may be moot. Also, you'd have to consider the durability of the material you're using.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So how are you going to keep grease off the diff cases to be able to see through them?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Umm, acrylic is VERY brittle. You'd have to redesign the case to accommodate for this......

do it though! don't let the haters stop you
Old 07-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

We're not haters, we're just pointing possible flaws. Almost like brain-storming.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Sounds interesting. Seems like you would have to have threaded inserts in the case. How about modifying the top portion of the case with a clear window fir visual inspection.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Get a good car and dont worry about your gears. My diff needs rebuilding frequently anyway. I just pm everything else at the same time.

Eventually you'll be able to just pick up your car and know if its good by spinning the wheels a little. You'll learn the feel soon enough.