Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding Electric RC

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Understanding Electric RC

I'm new to Electric RC Cars. I'm wanting to get into all forms of 1/10 scale electric. Before I do anything though I wanted to ask all the nice people of RCTech a few questions. Is there a site that explains RC Motors/ESC/Batterys and what it all means? I'm confused as to what class takes what Motor and ESC and what is a good battery to run with them. I'm looking to first buy a SCT and work my way up. Also does the charger make a huge difference or ?? Thank you all for your time.

-- I'm looking at the mamba max stuff but i'm wanting to run stock truck but be able to easily and cost effectively jump up to mod.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

The HPI Blitz ESE is what im looking to put an ESC/Charger/Batterys in. Just confused on what is best for stock class.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Depends on the rules at your local track. Most run 13.5 and/or 17.5 for stock class. For brand I run the LRP SXX Competition and X12 motor - which I chose after a huge amount of research and conversations with team drivers. Novaks are also good. Tekin is fast but a lot of people don't like the feel of Tekin for off road use. It seems more popular for onroad.

My biggest surprise was how huge the improvement was when I upgraded my servo. I went with the Futaba BLS451 and it blew me away. You can spend half that and still see a huge difference over the RTR servos.

For batts you can't go wrong with the Thunder Power 40C/4200mah. I have 3 of them. Plenty of power.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

the 40C Means what? Is there a site to explain mAH and Discharge and all that good stuff? and If i go brushless (Which I will) how do i know what is ROAR Legal?? Sorry if i'm getting repetitive. Just a little overwhelmed at the difference from nitro to electric.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I don't think the ESE is stock legal. For Roar purposes 17.5 turn brushless is stock legal. C rating is the discharge capacity of a battery in relation to it's capacity. A 5000mah hour batter can supply 5 amps of power for 1 hour = 1c. if it's a 40c battery it can supply 200 amps of power for 1/40th of an hour continous
Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 AM
Tech Adept

As far as classes go, find your closest track and go down on a race day and see what classes are on offer and and what people are running in these classes
Old 07-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doxiedad
I don't think the ESE is stock legal. For Roar purposes 17.5 turn brushless is stock legal. C rating is the discharge capacity of a battery in relation to it's capacity. A 5000mah hour batter can supply 5 amps of power for 1 hour = 1c. if it's a 40c battery it can supply 200 amps of power for 1/40th of an hour continous
I understand discharge rates and I had to read that a few times!

Definitely see what other people are running so you can get the most help. everyone starts somewhere so don't feel bad or dumb for asking questions. Even pros at one time didn't know the basics.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Doxiedad
I stared and stared, NOW I see the light! Thank you sure. That help understanding batterys.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

before you spend lots of money look at value first. I run the mmp and its a great ESC. It has all the features you would want just getting into electric. That ESC will support all major brand motors when you are ready to switch from stock to modified. When it comes to the servo you gotta go with a good one. I have a hitec that has a speed of .10 and its not digital. you can pick up the new spektrum that has a speed of .08 I think. Any good servo will do just make sure you get one. also when running stock the battery is very important. with a 17.5 you want the highest C rating you can get. Look at value over cost and like alot said earlier in the thread go to your track and talk to the racers there. remember money doesnt win the race skill does. the best and most expensive stuff doe not make you a better driver.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by whjdm069
before you spend lots of money look at value first. I run the mmp and its a great ESC. It has all the features you would want just getting into electric. That ESC will support all major brand motors when you are ready to switch from stock to modified. When it comes to the servo you gotta go with a good one. I have a hitec that has a speed of .10 and its not digital. you can pick up the new spektrum that has a speed of .08 I think. Any good servo will do just make sure you get one. also when running stock the battery is very important. with a 17.5 you want the highest C rating you can get. Look at value over cost and like alot said earlier in the thread go to your track and talk to the racers there. remember money doesnt win the race skill does. the best and most expensive stuff doe not make you a better driver.
Great advice, Thank you. I am going to go with a Mamba Max Pro. It looks to be great and affordable. Thanks to everyone at this site. It is an exceptional RC Website packed full of useful stuff.