Wiki Posts
Search

Why do companies give release dates and never come close

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joelwhite
Its not as bad as video games. Been waiting FOREVER for Grand Turismo 5.
What this guy said...
Old 06-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dave H
This may not apply to some of your specific examples, but in general I suspect the main reason, other than the marketing hype mentioned, is outsourcing, without understanding all of the ramifications. Frequently these days from another country, with different language, business practices, culture, with a still developing supply base, quality practices, knowledge of established customer expectations, and long shipping times, etc. The brand name company simply doesn’t have control of the situation.

I see it all the time in the day gig. In an increasing number of cases there is a trend back to our local production, because we can actually get things done, usually correctly.
+1 There is also reoccurring theme of project managers (eager to please the boss with optimistic time lines) who spend more time creating fancy gantt charts than consulting with the people who do the actual work. Bean counters who think they're going to save a nickel outsourcing end up spending thousands sending a designer or engineer overseas several times just to get a decent first article. Only to get burned later with a shipping container full of product that isn't right.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...or how the MSRP is always WAY over the real prices. Do they really think that we believe we're getting a great deal? Losi 8eight E Race Roller is shown as
"list price" of like $1300+, but the price to order is $899. Why not just advertise the selling price? EVERY manufacturer does it, they give it a List price for WAY more than they actually sell for. You're not fooling anyone, just tell us how much you want to sell it for and don't try to pretend you're giving us a better price! As Judge Judy once said...Don't Piss on my leg and tell me it's raining!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My only complant with release dates is that they are almost always through the racing season, 2 quick examples, the FT SC10, and the Ultima SC-R. Why release them in Mid-July, and Mid August respectfully. Season starts in May.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by joelwhite
Its not as bad as video games. Been waiting FOREVER for Grand Turismo 5.
NOW your right up MY alley! I have been in the games industry and in fact did a lot of work on ATV Offroad Fury 4 for the PS2 and ATV Offroad Fury Pro for the PSP Hand-held. This is something that I can comment on with some authority. The GAMES are contracted by a company such as SONY to be developed at a STUDIO (in my case it was Climax Racing Studio). The games typically get ANNOUNCED while the game is still in development. This is a clear-cut case of the client wanting to generate excitement and buzz for the game before it's release. The idea is that they want the game flying off of department store shelves as fast as possible, obviously.

What happens though is that as the game approaches being done the BETA is sent off to the client who then has their own game people test the crap out of it. They go over the game with a fine-tooth-comb, looking at every aspect of the environment, all buildings, trees, and objects are scrutinized and viewed from every possible angle. They then build a set of data sheets from this and send it to the studio as BUGS. On the games I worked on we had bugs that included tree branches contacting the ground, partially submerged objects, objects contacting other objects strangley, jumps that they couldn't make, or even suggestions for creating alternate lines in the race tracks.

This process of BUG fixing is hands-down the most tedious and hair-raisingly BUSY part of creating the game. Until ALL bugs are fixed to the client's satisfaction (and they check them ALL)...the game remains in this state. The client has to officially 'sign off' on the game. Once that happens the boxes, discs and manuals are printed up, put together and sent to distributors to send to the stores who are told to release it on a specific day. YES...that means that the stores might have the games a week or so in advance, although usually they get them a couple of days before the release date.

Sorry for the OFF-TOPIC post...somebody FINALLY mentioned something that I know something about! lol Got a bit excited I guess!!! lol
Old 06-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

im thinking odonnell is the undisputed KING of blown release dates!!!! LOL didnt we wait like 3 years for the z01b and bye the time it got here it was outdated. heck their .21 motor just came out early this year. im wondering how long we will sit and wait for the zo1e/sg.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

still waiting on the rc8be ft what the hell is the hold up????
very frustrating
Old 07-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by toyota 2jz
still waiting on the rc8be ft what the hell is the hold up????
very frustrating
AE Tech told me on 6/21 that they were shipping and that most distributors would have them that week and that places like TOWER should have them the next week (that would have been this week).

TOWER changed the status THIS WEEK from Late June to ON ORDER and then back to Late June in the same day. Yesterday they updated to Early July. Great since it IS JULY now Tower! WTG!!! At least they FINALLY added a PIC of the new buggy today.

I looked on AMain today and found that the page for the RC8Be says at the bottom that it will be IN STOCK this Wednesday July 7th. I would have to guess that most sites like TOWER will have the buggies next week as well. But that IS just a guess.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike881
yeah how about the SC10 Factory Kit?

Tower hobbies said mid June, Late June, Early July, now it says mid July.
They just changed it back to early July. That has to be a good sign. Right?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You'd think they would learn by now to tack on about 3 months to their guesstimated release dates no?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nougat
They just changed it back to early July. That has to be a good sign. Right?

Here's an even better sign:

http://aedownloads.com/press/in_063010_sc10ft.pdf

Late June, Early July, just like Associated said. Every now and then they get it right.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charly71
im thinking odonnell is the undisputed KING of blown release dates!!!! LOL didnt we wait like 3 years for the z01b and bye the time it got here it was outdated. heck their .21 motor just came out early this year. im wondering how long we will sit and wait for the zo1e/sg.
True story. I'm running a converted Z01-B team buggy and keep hearing sooooon on the SG...Riiiite