R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-23-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev
Looking To Get A Nitro ST, Stuck On Engine Choices!

I have decided to get back into nitro, and go with a Stadium Truck. I just don't know what to do when it comes to the engines I can pick. I am an experienced racer, so I'm looking for true race engines. Obviously, it needs to be a .12 and I would prefer a Rear Exhaust engine, but other than that I don't know what to go with. I would like to find an engine for around $150 or under.

Currently, I am between the OS .12 TR, Sirio .12 Standard Race Engine, Wasp .12 Roar, and Mugen MT-12. If I'm missing any other engine choices, let me know them too!

Here is what I want to know:
1. I am going with a RC10GT, so I first need to know if all those engines will fit it.
2. Which engine should I get?
3. How is the tunability of each of the engines (how easy is it to tune them), and which one is the easiest to tune?
4. Which is the most reliable?
5. Which is fastest?
6. And basically, which engine is overall the best for my application?
7. Let me know if there are any other engines I should take a look at also.

Thanks in advance,
etzkev
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:22 PM   #2
Tech Addict

1. All of the engines will fit. The Losi rear exaust hedar works best.
2.Depends on the track
3.The only one that you might have a bit of trouble tuning is the Wasp because its a picco and they are generally sensative. I have the tr and the sirio. The tr is a breeze to tune and the sirio is also pretty easy to tune. I havent owned a MT12 but its a Nova, so it shouldnt be a problem.
4. The tr should be the most reliable, it's and OS!
5. The sirio should have the fastest top speed or highest rpm.
6. You have to describe your track. The TR which has the most torque of the bunch (yes according to the rcca dyno it has more torque than the mt 12 in the lower rpms and holds it longer) so it will be best for a smaller to mid sized track. The MT12 has alot of torque as well and more hp and higher rpm it will also work best on small to medium sized tracks. The sirio will work best on large open tracks it will be faster than the rest but have less torque. I really dont know about the wasp but Ive seen it run on a amaller track and it was fast.
7. Excluding the sirio those are some of the most common ST engines.

Last edited by AE Racer; 05-23-2004 at 11:41 PM.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:49 PM   #3
Tech Elite

If you are looking into driving your truck on a track, you really should be considering a side-exhaust engine. They are much easier to control, and make a lot more usable power than a rear-exhaust engine.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:47 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

AE Racer, thanks for your help. I run at a smaller track (see picture), so the .12 TR might be the best choice for me. That is kinda what I thought would be the best, but I wanted to ask. Plus, I like OS!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
If you are looking into driving your truck on a track, you really should be considering a side-exhaust engine. They are much easier to control, and make a lot more usable power than a rear-exhaust engine.
Aaron, I know you are an extremely experienced and high level racer, but I have a question for you. If you are saying that I should go with a side exhaust engine, then why do I see most all the pro's going with rear exhaust engines? They are naturally faster, so what's the problem? I know I can handle it.

Thanks for all your help,
Kevin
Old 05-24-2004, 08:43 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Any Losi driver with a sponsor who produced a side-exhaust engine runs a side-exhaust engine; in fact, Sirio is working on a side-port motor for Trinity right now. Side exhaust engines, by design, make more top end, and less bottom end, power than a rear-exhaust motor with the exact same dimensions.

If a CV has enough power to break the tires loose, what good is an MT12? Basically, the top 30 or so gas truck drivers in the nation all have motors that have been worked on by some of the most experienced guys in the business, and the ones who run rear-port engines all ask for a more mellow bottom end hit. Either way, the result is a much more mellow powerband, and more usable power.

You can lean an engine out and get more power; if you richen an engine to calm down the power, you suffer in gas mileage.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:37 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Ok thanks for your help. I have seen that the RC10GT takes a "short" shaft, and most of the engines shafts are too long for it. I have heard of a lot of people having to cut their shafts down. Will I need to do this too? If so, how do you do it?

Thanks for your help,
etzkev
Old 05-24-2004, 04:55 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Take a tough plastic bag (the gallon ziplock bags work good) and put the engine in it. Poke a hole in the bag with the end of the crankshaft, so the plastic will stay tightly wrapped around the end of the shaft. Cut the crank using a Dremel and cutoff wheel (the manual will instruct you how short to cut it).
Old 05-24-2004, 04:58 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Damn Aaron, you're good! That sounds good. I was afraid I might have to give it to my dad to cut the shaft and re thread it. How would I go about re threading it though? I can just leave it as is after it has been cut.

Thanks,
etzkev
Old 05-24-2004, 04:58 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I run a Mugen truck that takes a threaded shaft, which is the same I think, and all I had to do was take a dremel with a cutoff wheel and cut it where needed
Old 05-24-2004, 06:23 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Oh ok, thats cool. It doesn't sound close as hard as I originally thought.

-etzkev
Old 05-24-2004, 09:29 PM   #11
Tech Elite

It's really not bad at all, you don't need to re-thread anything.

Good luck!