Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on B44 setup purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 AM
MER
Tech Rookie

Default Thoughts on B44 setup purchase

I used to have a Losi XX4 and raced it at local tracks. I have since sold it and all my batteries. I still have a Nitro TC3 and RC10GT. I am now wanting to get back into electric racing with a buggy and I've pretty much decided on the B44.

So, since it has been a while since I've ran electric, I'm not familiar with all the advances that have been made. I used to run brushed motors with Ni-Mh batteries but now it seems brushless is the way to go as well as Li-Po batteries.

I still have my old Ni-Mh charger so switching to Li-Po would mean I'd have to buy a new charger as well.

My biggest concern is matching up the motor, esc and batteries.

I've been doing a lot of reading, especially about sensored vs sensorless brushless motors. I don't plan on doing any ROAR racing, mostly just bashing at local tracks and parking lots, etc so I don't have that concern. I'm leaning towards sensorless as from what I can tell they have gotten pretty good and don't cog too much. I am leaning towards them as there seems to be less maintenance and run cooler, etc.

So, that said, I've put together the following items I'm thinking of ordering. But, before doing so, I'd like some input from you guys to see what you think. Is this a good battery/esc/motor combo?

* Team Associated B44
* Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro (4600kv)
* Reedy 2S Li-Poly saddle pack battery 35C (7.4V/5100mAh)
* Team Associated Factory Team LiPo cradle
* Hyperion EOS 0606i Li/NiMh/A123 AC/DC balancing charger
* Common Sense RC Charge Anything "Octopus" multi-connector adapter

I also considered a sensored motor and was thinking of the Novak Havoc Pro Brushless ESC/Ballistic Brushless Motor Combo (6.5T).

Thanks for any thoughts on this!