Search

LIPO Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default LIPO Battery

LIPO battery users,

As we speak, my friend and his family nearly ended in tragedy due to a exploding LIPO battery in his car while he was driving.

The explosion measure about 8 feet into the air and virtually burn his car to the ground. However in the nick of time he manage to save himself and his family to avoid such tragedy cause by LIPO battery.

I will update more information including photos to his situation.

At the moment, I have sent numerous emails to ROAR, FAMAR, IFMAR, FEMCA and EFRA to call on the BAN and seriously investigate the sanction and should LIPO battery be allow in any form of RC racing.

DT

Last edited by Danny Teh; 06-24-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Was the lipo where it should be??

In a lipo sack.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I wanted to ask the same question as well.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Exactly. It is the user's responsibility to use a lipo sack when transporting a lipo or especially when charging one. If the lipo was in a sack the explosion would have been contained and no damage would have been done.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lipo's are sketchy for sure. I've had a couple do some weird stuff out of nowhere with no prior signs or abuse. No matter what brand you have, these batteries are prone to be potentially dangerous due to their chemistry.

Definitely not the solution we need for battery power in the rc industry. Sure, Lipo has evolved us into where we are today and really helped bring electrics and rc back from the dead. Now, we need to progress onto a safer battery technology like LiFe technology. I know I'll be making the switch pretty soon.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

Responsibility of a hobbyists to put battery into a LIPO sack.

The explosion took the whole rear off. What sack can help ?

Bomb shelter perhaps ?

LIPO should not be use in any form of RC Racing ! As many season hobbyists too encounter problem without any warning. Shouldn't we all take a look at the serious issue which concern it. What this kind of battery is allow to use be use ?

Don't forget, there are kids out there playing our hobby. Racing little cars.

We should all make it safer and not come in here and say you must do this ot that.

In Mattel case, all the toys are pull out all across america when traces of ban substance found in it.

Should we be looking at this angle too ? The safety and relevant of LIPO battery and not how it relieve the EP market.

DT
Old 06-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I highly doubt "it took the whole rear off". And you are right, it would not have completely stopped the explosion but it would have certainly reduced its effects.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I for one am not going to stop using lipos.

However I've stopped going to bp......Now that is what needs to be banned!!

And I'd like to add that there are cheap lipos, and cheap lipo sacks...Use at your own risk...

With that, I'd like to say that I am glad that your buddy and his family are OK..
Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 PM
RT3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Glad to hear everyone is okay. It's a very unfortunate situation.

Last edited by RT3; 06-24-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My buddy burned his house down because they left the oven on by accident. I guess we should ban ovens because they are an obvious fire hazard.

Lipos can be dangerous if not handled properly, but I have never seen a lipo spontaneously combust. Treat them with respect. Just like I don't expect your buddy would be smoking a cig with a gallon of Byron's 30% in the front seat of the car.

Sucks and glad they are ok, but banning lipos is a bit of a stretch. I recently took about 10 lipo packs I don't use much anymore and put them in an old ammo can for safety reasons until I dispose of them. I inspect my lipos frequently while at the track and have never personally had a lipo fire. In fact, every lipo fire I have ever seen has been the result of user stupidity.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Champion

Now we have another newbie online.

How many out there knows ? Lipo sack, Lipo and it's danger ? Most volatile battery use for RC Racing ?

God knows if it's on a plane and brings a whole 747 down. Wow !

What we have in our boot when we go racing ? We are not going to bring one LIPO battery................GP racers......worst still...........fuel...........more rx/tx lipo battery................wow chain reaction.................

Possibilities ? Yes.................

I been racing all this while and never uses a LIPO on my TX/RX even IFMAR would approve it. I find it dangerous.

Just my opinion.

DT
Old 06-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I am sorry and feel for your friend and his scare. It does need to be looked into.Lipos are not a new tech now and flyers have used them for years now. Maybe there were some contributing factors to the accident maybe not. An outright ban may be impossible. I wouldnt store them in my trunk on a hot day for sure. Again I have no idea of the circumstances and fell for him.I have seen some fires from them, but I have also seen NiMh packs go boom pretty hard too.Just my opinion
Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Batteries are batteries.. all have a potential of exploding in some way.

Im still waiting for these details and pictures.. but No where have i ever seen a Lipo ever explode...

Hell there is a video on you tube of people putting a lipo in a microwave for what i think was 4 minutes.. worse it did was catch fire and melt.. im thinking for some reason this lipo caught fire and possibly ignited something in the trunk..

Im glad all in the car were ok... but honestly.. I dont see lipos as the next hand grenade..
Old 06-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Danny Teh
LIPO battery users,

As we speak, my friend and his family nearly ended in tragedy due to a exploding LIPO battery in his car while he was driving.

The explosion measure about 8 feet into the air and virtually burn his car to the ground. However in the nick of time he manage to save himself and his family to avoid such tragedy cause by LIPO battery.

I will update more information including photos to his situation.

At the moment, I have sent numerous emails to ROAR, FAMAR, IFMAR, FEMCA and EFRA to call on the BAN and seriously investigate the sanction and should LIPO battery be allow in any form of RC racing.

DT
Wow. That sucks.

I'm a bit confused though on what happened.
So, your buddy and his family were riding in their family car, and a Lipo battery, sitting in the trunk, exploded?
And, the explosion shot flames 8 feet into the air?

I've heard of Lipo batteries that can catch fire if overcharged.
I've even heard, can't confirm, of cell phones exploding while someone is using it. However, I find that one hard to believe.

I, like others here, are really interested in knowing all the facts and conditions related to the Lipo battery exploding.
This has me quite interested as I'm about to get into electric RC along with my Nitro RC. I'm looking at Lipo power for the electric, so I really want to know specifics of what happened, so that I can avoid it.
Thanks for the info, and thank God your friend and his family are ok.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Tech Initiate

I have a picture somewhere of exploded nixx cells...I suppose we need to ban them as well....

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.