Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Do people still use the clutch in Tekno kits? >

Do people still use the clutch in Tekno kits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do people still use the clutch in Tekno kits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Do people still use the clutch in Tekno kits?

Thinking of trying one of these in the future, but I am curious if people use the clutch setup at all or just direct drive?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hi Cain, in my opinion, it's worth a try to get the clutch system. If u don't like it, changing it back to direct drive is a breeze. Alternatively, you can even get the new springs & shoes to convert to the Traktion Drive.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I use the clutch set up. works for me.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Direct drive.

I got Electric so I wouldnt mess with all the gas problems. Techno sells the conversion with "nitro-like" brakes and clutch and if you like that "feel" get it. But Direct drive doesnt have the lag associated wit a clutch engaging or maintenance. The A-main at the international RC pro last year (only recognized group running 1/8 E buggies on a pro circuit, both national and internationally) had no clutch systems in any of the pro's cars.

Think about it. Races are won sometimes by seconds or even fractions of a second. If you have to wait a 1/4th or even a 1/10th of a second for that silly clutch to engage times the 100s of times its poping open and closed in a main and it all adds up to valuable time lost.

However, know this. You do drive differently with a direct drive. No more bleeping around like a mad nitro guy. If you do, you'll just end up doing micro peelouts everywhere losing traction and stability. Clutches get away with it cuz it slips a little while engaging softening the torque a bit. You tend to drive like 1/10 scale electrics with direct drive or for that matter real life drivers. Ever see a CORR truck race or F1 race in real life bleeping around turns?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I use both, the clutch for a large outdoor track and direct drive for the medium indoor clay high grip track that I go to.

Each one requires different throttle input/control. I just received Tekno's Traktion drive kit to try on my indoor setup. I want to see how it will perform for me.

Even with my clutch setup, I don't have any "lag" or deal with any "maintenance" issues stated above.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i have used both also. they both have their benefits. i find that i prefer direct drive but i am very excited to use tekno's new traktion drive as i think that is going to be best of both worlds. up til now my favorite setup and what i run on everything is direct drive with mechanical brakes. i turn esc braking off and dial in my mechanical brakes to my preferred bias.

as for the clutch the benefit i found from it was more free rolling through conrners, better off-power turn in, and punch control. the negative was that slight lag (although after a day or two you never notice it. you just notice when you first switch from direct drive), and higher temps. because your motor has to spin more before actually propelling the car forward you tend to have slightly higher temps so you need to have a very efficient setup when running clutch.

the bottom line is if you buy a tekno kit you have your choice of clutch, slipper, or pinion. what have you got to lose? you can easily switch with the slip of one set screw.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default o

Originally Posted by js058515
I use both, the clutch for a large outdoor track and direct drive for the medium indoor clay high grip track that I go to.

Each one requires different throttle input/control. I just received Tekno's Traktion drive kit to try on my indoor setup. I want to see how it will perform for me.

Even with my clutch setup, I don't have any "lag" or deal with any "maintenance" issues stated above.
i still love the sound of mn nitro , so i have the brushless for ease and still race nitro.

i like the feel for bleeping the controller as it feels more natural to me. and with a 2650kv motor, the power is so instant even with the clutch, i love the feel
Old 06-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Legend

Main benefit I was looking at was the free wheeling effect, and in general (not related to the clutch) was wanting to try the mechanical brake setup.

All the vehicles I have used in the past have had a direct drive setup, so I know the feel there.

I see they now can use regular pinions, what do you do to use these instead of the long shanks?

what exactly is the traction drive? got a link to it?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Addict

yes free wheeling effect is a good thing about the clutch but if you get a tekin you get more of that feel. Castle motors magnets are such that it has almost a drag brake effect.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Main benefit I was looking at was the free wheeling effect, and in general (not related to the clutch) was wanting to try the mechanical brake setup.

All the vehicles I have used in the past have had a direct drive setup, so I know the feel there.

I see they now can use regular pinions, what do you do to use these instead of the long shanks?

what exactly is the traction drive? got a link to it?

only their newest kits allow use of a regular pinion as opposed to the longshank pinion. i think the mbx6 conversion you can use the regular pinion. i love the longshank pinions though. i have used them on all my conversion and never had any issues. never had mesh problems, or motor shaft/bearing issues. and i dont use the extra chassis brace that comes with tekno kits. i only use the traditional front/rear chassis braces. the motor mounting system works so that you can run the clutch or pinions by reversing the motor plates.

traktion drive is a slipper clutch. read the last few pages of the Tekno thread here in the forum and you will learn everything you need to know about the traktion drive. its a standard 1/8 clutchbell and modified clutch springs/shoes. it gives you direct drive feel with benefit of slipper clutch like limited slip for traction and protection for your motor from hard hits to the drivetrain. i havent tried it yet but have been hearing awesome feedback on it.

start reading here with post #3434: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...hread-229.html

also, here is link to product: http://www.impaktrc.com/product_info...oducts_id=5731
Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Legend

big thanks