R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Slash or Ultima? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/409030-slash-ultima.html)

Raptor-4 06-17-2010 02:35 PM

Slash or Ultima?

Which one do you guys think is better for racing, the Traxxas Slash or the Kyosho Ultima?

Substance 06-17-2010 02:36 PM

Slash 100%

SaladFork 06-17-2010 02:41 PM

For racing?? Kyosho hands down.

blade329 06-17-2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Raptor-4 (Post 7555305)
Which one do you guys think is better for racing, the Traxxas Slash or the Kyosho Ultima?

I would say Slash. I have renewed respect for this truck after racing it in The Short Course race in socal. Not only is it fun it's very forgiving. If you are running in a spec/rtr class, then you only need a few adjustments. If you go mod, then you will really want to get the Pro-Trac suspension kit for it. Nothing against the Ultima, but I just don't see a lot of them around in our area.

captaindemo17 06-17-2010 03:36 PM

I might say either, i have a slash( whats left of it) thats pretty good and a front runner. I am very pleased how this truck performs against all the other brands. I am wanting to try the ultima sc but seems like nobody is selling and nobody has them in stock for me to purchase.

SaladFork 06-17-2010 03:49 PM

One of my team drivers races his Kyosho in stock SC against quite a few Slash's. He got 1st in the NW Nationals in Pasco with it and last weekend won the first points series race with it on a 1/8th scale outdoor track. My other driver got 2nd last weekend behind him and also placed 3rd in Nationals with his SC10. Two more of my drivers on Sunday placed #2 and #3 in mod SC with their SC10's but got beat by a ESE Blitz. Slash would be last on my list if you plan on racing. But for bashing, by all means get a Slash. ;)

tc5 man 06-17-2010 03:51 PM

well i run the slash its not a bad truck for stock sc racing, for what it is it doesnt handle too bad with a good setup.

but ive been looking at the ultima and....since i dont have a lhs i can just get the extra a- arms and carriers etc online but i whould have to say, the ultima is a race truck and im hearing from other racers that it handles good out of the box and the longer chassis, and wheelbase will help a ton a bumpy rough track.

so i think the ultima would be, dam good for stock sc and the only thing i heard bad about it was the shocks leak thats it.

LMRacing 06-17-2010 04:15 PM

If your going to run into a lot of stuff go the slash route, but if you can drive halfway clean go Kyosho.

The Kyosho's are amazing driving vehicles and If I didnt have my love affair for associated I'd be driving the Ultima SC and there 2wd buggy as well. Very predictable and very flickable. The stub Axle's are very weak in them though, the CVD kit is worth the extra money

blade329 06-17-2010 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by SaladFork (Post 7555567)
One of my team drivers races his Kyosho in stock SC against quite a few Slash's. He got 1st in the NW Nationals in Pasco with it and last weekend won the first points series race with it on a 1/8th scale outdoor track. My other driver got 2nd last weekend behind him and also placed 3rd in Nationals with his SC10. Two more of my drivers on Sunday placed #2 and #3 in mod SC with their SC10's but got beat by a ESE Blitz. Slash would be last on my list if you plan on racing. But for bashing, by all means get a Slash. ;)

Well there you have it folks. If you are an expert/team driver and running with pros in big events, then run the Ultima, SC10 or Blitz. However, for majority of us who are casual and amateur drivers the Slash is a fine choice.

Sorry SaladFork, I couldn't resist commenting.

LMRacing 06-17-2010 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by blade329 (Post 7555666)
Well there you have it folks. If you are an expert/team driver and running with pros in big events, then run the Ultima, SC10 or Blitz. However, for majority of us who are casual and amateur drivers the Slash is a fine choice.

The slash is going to be a little slower. Center of Gravity isn't optimal in the truck, and the parts have too much flex to them. But its these things that also make it as durrable as it is and yes perfect for someone learning who doesn't want to spend a lot of money or to give the kids to beat around the yard with.

A fast driver can be fast with just about anything though :nod:

blade329 06-17-2010 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by LMRacing (Post 7555688)
The slash is going to be a little slower. Center of Gravity isn't optimal in the truck, and the parts have too much flex to them. But its these things that also make it as durrable as it is and yes perfect for someone learning who doesn't want to spend a lot of money or to give the kids to beat around the yard with.

Yup. That's why I like it though. Though I am faster with my Blitz, with the same motor, I like the Slash because it's more of a challenge.

SaladFork 06-17-2010 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by blade329 (Post 7555666)

Exactly why would you not want to run what the pro's run?? I know I expected you to comment lol.

And you forgot to call me SaladDork. :p

Honu 06-17-2010 05:59 PM

Ultima SC if you can get your hands on one.

tc5 man 06-17-2010 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by LMRacing (Post 7555688)

i think you can remove some of, the flex on the slash with the rpm shock towers.

as for the high center of gravity it, can be a problem espially if you use certain soft times ( traxxas s1 compound tires) but you only notice it really, when you can into a high speed corner other than that its somewhat hard to notice the high gravity.

one race i was in i went to fast, into a high speed corner and rolled about 4 times i look dam good though.

i dont wreck to much though, i do club racing so i think i might try out the ultima sc and im not sure im good enough to drive anything and be good.

zanernator 06-17-2010 06:49 PM

ultima no question