Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions on Novak 4.5HV and ESC

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thank you Zack!! I will take heed to what you said! You cleared up a few unknowns from me. Sounds like I will be pulling out that system, and going for some thing else.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I run the castle mm and 2200kv in my ve8 and it is awesome, tons of torque
Old 06-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default See Castle Creations Mamba Monster ESC and 2650kv Motor Combination.

Zack is definitely right on with his expertise. You really got the good info. I myself use to run that same motor and speed control, consider yourself lucky, I had a fire and it burned my lipo's and body and the stinky smell never really went away. I had burned the ESC up in flames. and before that, I had spun the rotor loose from the magnet many many times. Novak always took care of me, but when my Buggy burned up, that was the end of it.

I had done a lot of reading and study, and accept lots of advice. And bought the Sensorless Mamba Monster 2650kv motor and speed control combo. In one year of running this system hard in my Hyper 9e, The motor has given me zero problems, and the speed control went out three times, but no fires, the buggy just stopped. and three times is not bad at all for one entire year of racing. and, Castle Creations always took care of it Fast. No charge either. this system comes with a 12month warranty, best in the RC industry from what I understand. And beyond that year, you get another twelve month warranty for a flat fee of 70.oo dollars on your reparied or replaced speed control. Hope This Helps.

PS. Though this is a sensorless system, I've never had trouble with cogging/rouch throttle control from take off's. Always smooth as can be. and excellent power and crazzy torque and top speed. I run either one two cell or one three cell at the most, and it's just insane fast.

Note: Castle Creations also now offers another kv/rpm per volt, rating(motor). It's the 1800kv motor. Just as bulletproof and allows you to run a four cell, five cell, or even a six cell LiPo without getting the rpm's up too high. Sound Good?

Originally Posted by opio
Thank you Zack!! I will take heed to what you said! You cleared up a few unknowns from me. Sounds like I will be pulling out that system, and going for some thing else.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Zachfeen
Here is your problem. The wires from novak are in series which means your voltage is doubled so you are running 14.8 volts. Novak's website is very flawed and you need to pay close attention, that esc can handle 14.8 volts BUT the motor can not and you need to stop running 2 2s lipo's now. You are turning some serious rpm's with that motor (which WILL fry it) and pulling a huge amount of amps which is overheating your esc. You should sell that setup and get a true 1/8 setup, the hv systems really are not designed for 1/8th use. You can run it on 2s and it will still be moderately powerful but very inefficient and run times will be horrible
true dat if you wanna blow up your hv and esc @ 75 600 rpm lol

2 x too fast

on 2 cell youll be fine

we run on a medium 1/10 track on 2 cell and its perfect
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Really - he's running the 2 2S in series? Ouch. Ok - well, that's that then. :-)

One way to "save the configuration" is go to a 7.5 Novak instead of the 4.5 - but that means buying a motor, finding a home for the 4.5 motor and all that. A full replacement wouldn't be horribly expensive - say a Castle MMM + 1800KV motor and then a serial plug for the existing 2 x 2S lipos. That's a viable setup - but I'd still go to a single 5000 mAh 4S LIPos if it would fit in the guy's tray.

4.5 on 4S is probably the highest RPM I've ever heard of in an 1/8 scale. The car probably hits hard and flys for a few moments - but the heat in the ESC and motor must be incredible. Could be a crazy speed-run car but don't run it for more than 5 minutes.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have ran it around for 10 min or so. Yea the esc got hot, motor never did though. Even with that said, I'm very glad for the input. This esc and motor combo will be going up for sale as soon as I get it out of my car!

Thanks for saving my buggy guys!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Solution! Two 1Cell Lipos (we must be inventive, eh?)

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bat...h-p-30953.html
Old 06-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well I can run it 2 cell, but honestly I don't think it will have the power I will need lol. Thanks for yet another option though!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I run the HV Pro 7.5 in my E-Revo on dual 2s Lipo and dont have any problems my esc and motor stay plenty cool and I have pretty good power, I can pretty much wheelie on demand.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by opio
Well I can run it 2 cell, but honestly I don't think it will have the power I will need lol. Thanks for yet another option though!!!

I'm running a Steve Nue 1409 1Y 3600 kv motor in my Hyper 9e with the Mamba Monster ESC, on one, 2cell lipo and motor temps well bellow 150 degrees, the buggy is as fast or faster than all the other 1/8th scale buggies running 4cell at 14.8 volts. Though I'm running all carbon fiber parts, and chassis- all by Matrix Concepts Inc. This significant weight reduction certainly helps in many ways as well. I will be posting a video on the HoBao Hyper 9e thread soon showing my second place qualifier race, that's amazing considering all the other buggies in my class(sportsmen) are running a 4cell at 14.8volts.