R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-25-2004, 05:50 AM   #631
Tech Apprentice

Is there any possibility I could order these parts from Austria?
re-inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:32 PM   #632
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

what's the latest estimate on when we can expect a full blown SB PRO?
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:39 PM   #633
Tech Rookie

Well I think it was the receiver. I programed the JR XS-3 pro and the RS310 servo that came with it. Wow this thing is fun now. It is unseasonalbly cool here today (low 70's). So not a great test. But the ESC didn't even feel warm at all and the motor neither.

I mounted the esc 2-3mm back from the steering servo on 3 sheets thick of 2 sided stick tape. Also, I mounted the esc on 2 thin pieces of aluminum that were themselves attached to the upper frame with 2 sided taped. I then mounted a fan on a small piece of aluminum and bolted it to the upper frame right in front of the esc.

Now glitching now whatsoever. I can run it down the street until I can hardly see it and never notice and decrease in responsiveness or control.

Of course as happy as I am, it has rained here for the last 24 hrs. and the track is a mud pit. Hopefully it will be dry later in the week. I hope even in the high heat I could move up to a 20 tooth pinion.

Now just waiting for my front and rear stabilizers and slipper to come in.

Anyway thanks for all the input from everyone.

Chris.
tmqdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:28 PM   #634
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I just got done with some racing. I won't go too much into the gory details as I am still beat but I managed to place second in the buggy main ( not enough 4wd drivers for our own main ).

The slipper clutch makes a BIG difference. you can really put the power down and the vehicle was a missile.

It also has the durability of a tank. I managed to really beat the crap out of it this time with some real modified motor power but it held together great.

If you are going to go with a 12 x 2 V2 style motor, I would gear about a 19 tooth to start with. I ran a 20 and the motor felt too warm.

Put me down for a Kose Motor mount if you can get it over here. I really want that as the stock one still moves and the position of where the wires end up having to go is not the best.

Another Academy owner at our track. so there should be two of us out there friday.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:56 AM   #635
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Running

Raced yesterday.We ran 19 turn,geared 21/67.Didn't have a 70 spur.This thing is just awesome all over the track.Have the ASSOC.shocks on it.Unfortunately we had some barking on the landings off the jumps.Thought it was the diffs getting loose so in checking them I broke the rear diff screw.Couldnt run the main.Didn't take much to do it tho.Seems maybe it was from the slipper.Cain,how are you setting yours?1/2 turn out from locked or? I don't remember who posted it but,the dreneling of the notor cam works like a charm.Took some good tumbles and did not have any motor loosening issues at all.Thanks for that tip.The slipper does make a big difference to the cars smoothness.The only issue at the moment is finding the right rear shock setup.Using 30wt oil,the green and grey springs were too soft.The hobby shop didn't have silver springs in stock so thats next to try.We were going to go with blue but didn't get a chance due to the diff screw.Will start with them next week and see. The front is great with 35wt,blue springs.All in all we're both happy with this vehicle.Might be getting another for me to run.Mario
lotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:06 AM   #636
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you PM AcademyUK then he may be able to provide you with a part number for the new diff screw/thrust race set for the SB. We had an issue of shearing diff screws, and it came from the fact that if the diff is left to slip, a small groove would be worn into the diff screw, so when you go to tighten it up, it would shear.

The new screw is much thicker.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:27 AM   #637
Tech Legend

Academy_UK: Can you get some pics of the Kose mount on the SB as well as the aluminum steering arms? Also, some price estimates as well as shipping estimates would be great.

Ok, now a more detailed race report:

I went ahead and on a whim ran the vehicle with 1 spring tension setting stiffer than previously, but it was way too bouncy. the track is such that a very soft suspension handles the best so you can soak up the bumps. For buggies this track can be more involved to drive on but I think it really improves your skills and gives you more of an offroad feel. So kudos to Lester at Wolcott hobbies on the design.

The whoops are no longer there, probably pounded down by the 1/8 Unlimited and buggy guys. With this gone you can really get on power on the long straight, though at the end there is an area that is uneven that will pop your vehicle in the air you if you hit it wrong.

I went back to my stock setting but now I had the slipper. The unit feels pretty good. I did the initial tightening but as it seated it opened up again so I had to retighten. Word of advice, if you move the front drive shaft cup up more so it holds the shaft better, this will prevent you from just dropping out the drive shaft. To avoid this, I would go ahead and set it so with alittle chassis flex you can pop it out. That way I only had to remove one of the screws and loosen the other that hold the long top plate to the smaller top plate. You will also want to put something to keep the slipper from moving during tightening as initially holding the spur won't work. After awhile though it did. It took about 4 practice runs before the slipper felt fully seated and didn't loosen up again.

Since this was my first sunday racing I didn't have the mini-pin tires that everyone had, so i ran the kit ones with the kit foam. The tires actually seemed to hook up quite well. I also ran a Vantage 12 x 2 motor. This one upon comparison to even my 19T KR and others KRs doesn't have the punch of a KR, but was still plenty powerful for me. Only thing is that mounting your wires can be a pain. I plan to use a XXL reciever on its side to get more clearance between the ESC ( C2 ) and the motor.

First heat: The turnout for 4wd buggy was light compared to other classes, 3 vehicles total. Since I was running 2400 power first and had 3 heats to run before the main, I decided to try my studs after seeing some guys using them , big mistake. I had no grip on the track and it caused me to cartwheel of the first jump to the table top and I ended up ripping out the screw that goes into the front knuckle. Honestly when I saw what happened I expected MUCH worse. the part however was still in great shape and with alittle filler to take up the slack it could still be used. Everyone ended up breaking on the first lap so they just skipped it.

Second heat: Still trying to get used to the power the vehicle was able to put down, I used the kit tires and I had improved grip than before. The vehicle still feels though like it needs more rear traction, but I think my setup could be more of the issue than the actual vehicle. Anyway I came in third but I was still on the same lap as the #2 position.

Third heat: I got some help on my vehicle from one of the guys at the track, and he advised me to tighten up the slipper even more as I had it slipping too far. This really helped during my pratice before the heat and in the heat. I also decided to go to even softer springs, greens up front and blacks in the rear. The vehicle felt MUCH better then. Handling the bumpy straight and other sections at higher speeds without becoming wandery. though I think I need quicker suspension reaction so the change in pistons may help. I decided to let it hang out more and clear more of the doubles in one shot and the vehicle took the pounding without complaining. If this had been a normal material wing I would have probably replaced it easily.

Pre-main: One of the 4wd drivers ended up breaking his XXX-4 and wouldn't be able to get it going for the main so I spoke with the track owner and managed to get myself put into the 2wd buggy main which I believe ended up having about 10 - 12 cars with me included. I started as far back as possible to be fair to the 2wd guys since they had earned there spots battling each other. This class had various power plants for the vehicles being used from brushless systems to 19T power. But driving consistently was the key as the 19T power could more than hold its own on this track. I went ahead and moved the rear camber link to the next longest position ( middle ) on the shock tower from its stock position to get more rear bite.

I ended up by the third or so lap fighting into second place, driving the vehicle very hard and taking many jumps that were doubles in one shot. The vehicle took its beating. I probably cartwheeled off the burm at the end of the straight into turn one more than once. Since setting up for the track was a comprise between the monster jumps and the normal bumpy driving area, bottoming out on the track was a given no matter the class except maybe Unlimited truck. The vehicle though after repeated slapping down on the track, cartwheels, etc, kept going and was asking for more.

When it was all said and done I finished second out of the field of buggies. Considering the guy who won it is very good and this was my first race outing with a full blown mod motor, I felt pretty good about how I did and the buggy.

Post Race:

The vehicle looked to be in excellent shape. Diffs were still smooth and wear on the diffs was non-existent. I am wondering if the slipper made a good difference in saving the drivetrain?

The wing was contorted in various bend shapes, but a few pulls and tugs here and there it looks good as it ever did. For someone who goes through wings in normal buggies, this will be a god send.

The slipper I believe for most people is going to make a world of difference, especially in the US. You can try and get away with throttle control, but on a loose track like what I ran on or if you are new to the power of a 4wd vehicle, you will flat out LOVE the slipper. no if's and's, or but's.

I think for this friday I am going to play some more with my shock oil settings for quicker reaction from the suspension. If anyone has a good article on pistons and shock oil feel free to post.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:18 AM   #638
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Over here in the UK, with the extra grip the grass gives, the car slews out of corners and twists into all funny shapes without the slipper clutch, with the slipper, it just powers out of the corner real nice.

And yes, the car is strong, VERY strong.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:18 AM   #639
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Cookie,Thanks,will do that later today as work is looming.I ordered the replacement listed in the parts list,maybe academy will upgrade all to the new spec.If not,it should hold till I can get the upgrade.I do think it was just a bit too much muscle on my part.Was rushing to get 4 vehicles ready for th mains.But, a beefier part is always welcome.Thanks,Mario.
lotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:42 AM   #640
Tech Legend

My diff is pretty much trial and error. I tightened it till it felt good so I don't notch the rings. pretty smooth now.

The first I saw about notching the cam (that I remember ) was by rickster on the www.rc10b4.com forum. His is a team driver for MRC in the US and runs the SB. could be wrong so if someone did this earlier I appologize. haven't tried it yet though. I am going to try the notching trick for this friday as the cam just moved too much during the race.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:33 PM   #641
Tech Legend

I got word that a driver using an Academy SB got into the "show" at the stock nats. 8th place I think. Anyone know a Jon Noon? That was the driver.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:57 PM   #642
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Jonathan Noon?

Go here for Offroad Nats Final info: http://home.comcast.net/~mhor/MHORRC/finalnats.htm

Looks like Jonathan Noon got 8th in the multiple A-Mains system...

'nuff said,
MX4
YoKoMo-MX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:03 AM   #643
Tech Legend

Anywhere that would have info on the vehicle that was used?
Old 07-28-2004, 10:11 AM   #644
Tech Legend

there is a guy on the www.rc10b4.com forum who knows him. I am hoping to get him to post his setup, thoughts, etc. Would be great to hear from someone who put the vehicle in the A-main!
Old 07-28-2004, 09:27 PM   #645
Tech Regular

how do you set the diff? do you set it very tight or loose at the rear and/or front? want to know the settings for a non-slipper 4wd kit. I drive a MR4BC and am interested in the SB. I am new at 4wd off-road and after a run my diff needs a rebuild. It is set medium to loose, if that helps. tnx.
miniracer is offline   Reply With Quote