R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-11-2004, 05:14 PM   #496
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to LosiFromHell986

Cain: Unofficially, but yeah. I raced for the second time a few weeks ago, and boy, did I choke! I most likely won't be Racing for awhile, as I don't have a ride home that late of a time(on race nights). I also need to get used to the 4wd, I've never driven one, just been in awe of the amazing handling they have...

With that said, Maybe sometime soon I'll be race-worthy, and we'll see the outcome! Watch out, Chris! (yeah, right, I'm not a very good driver...)
LosiFromHell986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:30 PM   #497
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Race Report

Well,as I said here it is.....This thing is wicked fast.Just running a 19 turn till we get it fully sorted out.Kate was keeping up with the 17 turns and hanging with the 12 turns.We're using the INTEGY 19 turn(dual magnet version).Gearing seemed to work at 70/21 best.The only problem is the motor mount.The motor came out in both heats and the main.If you tumble at all out it comes.Will work on something for this this week,as it's a bit heartbreaking to be running in second place and break like that.Still using the plastic shocks with assoc. springs.2 hole stock pistons,35/30wt.oil.In time,in time. Cain,Where are your camber links? You might try a longer link in the rear to calm it down,if you're using the shorter position.The back end seems planted with the inner hole/lower row on the tower and either hole in the hub carrier.Will post more as we go.Mario.
lotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:57 PM   #498
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I am running the stock camber locations still. So I believe that is the bottom inner hole.

You should try the chassis mod on the rear, really helps on the bumps.

As for gearing I was running 23 / 67 on a 19T motor Reedy Quad Mag. Probably would have run 24 / 70 . For dual mags like the Chameleon based ones, I can see running lower. The Reedy really puts out the torque. I may just get a full mod of there motors.

As for the mount, try threadlock on the screw and maybe a slightly smaller shim in the mount.

I still don't run the shim but I don't torque it down hard either. not recommended but it works. I would say unless you can get the Kose mount, go with the machined alloy cam as that is supposed to stay in better. In the pic I posted ( not my car , I wish! ) that's what it looks like they are running and word is that it holds better.

My new LHS and track shop is going to look into the aftermarket stuff as well as the hop up stuff and see how much it will be .
Old 07-12-2004, 04:50 AM   #499
Tech Apprentice

I got a complete set of SB-16 today!

since STT-82A is out of stock in Austria/Germany, I ordered a complete set SB-16 (because I'm going to use universals in the rear anyways, so I just bought the set to take the axles for the front and wait for the STT-82a to arrive)

Well, as Cain said, you'll notice when you've ot the updated axles, when the 11mm portion of the axle is 6,5mm long (instead of 5mm)
And there's another update: The wall of the 8mm hole where you put the CVD joint in, has a kind of countersunk wall, which is rounded in the previous version. (I hope, you know what I mean, I can't take any pics at the time )

Academy even updated the "dogbone" part (I mean the long 3,5mm part of the whole CVD )
The previous version has a thickness of 3,5mm. The new one is 4mm thick just before the "sphere" where you put the CVD coupling in.

edit: just built the CVDs - they seemed to be manufactured to tighter tolerances.
My CVDs that came with the buggy where a bit sloppy, just like normal universal joints (the non-rebuildable type)

The new ones have virtually no play, instead one axle is a bit on the thight side and needs some break in because the 2x11mm had to be pushed through the axle

the shafts for the wheel hexes are still too long.

But all in all, I'm very confident. Thank you Academy for the quick update, you guys show that you really care for your product.

Now I'll do some track testing this week to see how the new axles hold up

But bevore, I'll do some dust-proofing; shock boots on the new shocks (like on the 1/8 buggies) and dust covers for the CVD coulings; I'll try if the academy dust covers for the shocks work on the axle. But if they bind to much (relatively thick rubber) I'll use trimmed shock boots in this area too.

Anyways, the new CVDs with the reinforced areas look great - like something, you ripped out of an 1/8 scale. Apart from the dimensions, I hope that the material is also up to spec now.

Last edited by re-inferno; 07-12-2004 at 05:27 AM.
re-inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:46 AM   #500
Tech Adept

cain, are you looking for a b4? i have one i used exactly once. its a rtr version.
msuh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:23 AM   #501
Tech Legend

sorry. money I was expecting to use on a T4 didn't come through so I won't be buying any more vehicles till the winter, just runnin the academy from now on.

I think I get what you are saying re-inferno. I haven't had a tear down chance yet and that won't probably happen until wednesday as I will be home watching my daughter the whole day and I should find some time when she naps to due a teardown. I will take pics of the differences between the UJs. one thing very obivous was that the nuts thread more on since the axle thread sticks out further.

If you guys are in the US drop Tim an email at MRC and ask him if he knows when the new UJs will be fully available. Mainly the axles. He was really cool to send me a new set of complete UJs, so I will look into buying a full set of the axles and I can have UJs all around.

re-inferno, I will post your info on the radiocontrolzone board.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:44 AM   #502
Tech Regular

We'd run stock truck and 4wd mod buggy!

Cain-I haven't tried the chassis trimming yet, but I did see where it will need to be done at because It see where the rear suspension arms contact the lower plate.

I cant wait to get milling on those carbon fiber components!
Old 07-12-2004, 11:28 AM   #503
Tech Legend

I look forward to seeing the chassis you mill. If you can get it you should try and do one that is colored carbon fiber. that would be pretty cool and you don't have to worry about tearing it all up since we use an undertray.

Trimming the chassis will make a good difference in handling, for me it was pretty big as that extra droop really does the trick.

He Woody, you still checking this thread? How is the slipper holding up for you?
Old 07-12-2004, 06:08 PM   #504
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Guys if you want the buggy to be smoother on rough tracks.
KeyWord:
LOSI SHOCKS.Car handles ALOT better and seems more consistant.I should have done this ALONG time ago.
Nice car though.Not as fast as my XX-4 is but close.
I have had them all even a durango and my XX-4 is STILL faster on most tracks.I may try the X-5 conversion soon.
Losi shocks really helped for me on this car.Nice overall car expecially for the price.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:32 PM   #505
Tech Legend

The car is very planted with AE shocks as well. I think in general for racing better shocks are needed.

One thing also, what do you have installed on your Academy? Do you have the slipper as well as the front one-way so it is in a similar configuration to the XX-4?

If you have the time, give the chassis mod a chance, it should help in the bumpy sections which I know the XX-4 is king at.

Last edited by Cain; 07-13-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:57 AM   #506
Tech Rookie

Default Car Picture

I have just noticed the picture of the SB, I am assuming this is Dave Grunills car, Dave is one of the Evolurion Racing Products drivers who will be going to the Euros. The car in question has the Carbon Chassis fitted and the carbon top deck.

The carbon does make the car a lot stiffer.

Many thanks to Dave for allowing this picture to be used.
Academy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:09 AM   #507
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Another SB (Pro?) Sighting ...

While researching the homebrew Tamiya TB Evolution Buggy I followed a link which lead me here ... which is mostly about a club race (I think) held somewhere in Japan. The interesting thing relative to this thread is about 2/3rds down that page (search for "6.") there is a picture of an SB which looks to be completely tricked out! Can anyone verify if this is the 'Pro' version? Too bad it's only one picture

'nuff said,
MX4
YoKoMo-MX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:25 AM   #508
Tech Legend

yokomo-mx4:

That looks like it has some Kose parts on it, I wonder if they are using the mount too. Wouldn't that be cool if it was?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:26 AM   #509
Tech Rookie

Default Dave Grunills SB

The car in question is Dave Grunills SB Sport, it is not a Pro.

This is an SB Sport upgraded. It has a Carbon chassis, carbon top deck and front plate, aluminium upgraded motor mount and upgraded shocks. It also has Griffin Pro UJ's fitted to the rear.

This is NOT the SB Pro.
Academy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:41 AM   #510
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Academy UK is correct, the car pictured is Dave Grunhills SB Sprort (The MRT speedo is the give away) and not a Pro.

The other Academy SB Sport has some option parts from the Academy list (carbon prop, alloy mount, alloy wishbone hangers), and it appears to have the Academy 4wd Nitro Truck Pro shocks on it too.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote