R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-28-2004, 01:01 PM   #346
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

ThreeEwes:

UPDATE: I don't think that spur gear number will work. Academy is going to have to come out with more spur options.

So far what are you seeing that you will have to do to the spur gears? I didn't do a complete look over, but it looks like you need to drill out the center hole to be the proper size and you also need to make sure the 4 screw holds line up right.

I wouldn't mind buying some from you if you got this working.

Last edited by Cain; 06-28-2004 at 01:24 PM.
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:21 PM   #347
Tech Regular

it seems very simple...easier said than done right?-but if you were to take an exixting spur -with holes or not- The best candidate I saw for the project was the single disk t3 0r b3 spur with just the center hole and the two screw hole that attach it to the outer hub-then I have to make drill 2 holes near the outer edges just to attach the spur to something-flat..wood block- ect. find the exact x and y planes-you know what they say measure twice... cut once then find a 4 flute bit that is the exact circumference as the biggest part of the mounting hub slight bit smaller-a split hair--then mill straight down-like a drill press-staying withing the parameters of the up/down (x) and side to side (y) the center should be easily found...
Then I would have to match up the screw holes for the sport spurs to the future prototype holes.
that would be pretty much it.
Its sooooooo time consuming...
Old 06-28-2004, 02:50 PM   #348
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I really don't understand why you guys are having a problem. Over here in the UK, we run on Grass, and it is a killer on drag, yet none of us have had the need to go to a bigger spur gear at any point.

What you got to remember, you are not gearing this like a XX4 or Yokomo, it is a super efficient shaft drive that WILL allow you to gear lower.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:26 PM   #349
Tech Regular

the problem i have is the smallest pinion i can run is an 18. I run on a small technical track with 8 small to medium jumps... I should be using a 16 pinion but I cant because of the design of the motor mount
And you know the way the motor sits now its just a 2 couple of millimeters away from the rear shaft drive cup. NOt much room to work with.
I cant get the motor closer to the spur.
Running the 17 risks chipping up the teeth of the 70 spur.
Da cookie monster- What motor. spur/ pinion are you using? What would you reccommend for me?
I use revolution 10x2 .
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2004, 04:02 PM   #350
Tech Master

on a short technical grass track, which is bumpy, I run a 13x1 on a 24/70, that don't burn the com or heat the moror up bad, but you got to get the speedo settings right, highish drive frequency in it.

On a 10, I would maybe be on a 20, maybe a 21.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:27 PM   #351
Tech Regular

thanks!
Old 06-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #352
Tech Legend

Dacookiemonsta: what about a 19T motor and a stock motor like the P2k2?
Old 06-28-2004, 06:29 PM   #353
Tech Adept

For Family Hobbies, what would you run in the Mod class?
What spur, pinion???
DemonLosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:30 PM   #354
Tech Adept

Cain did you get my PM on the ESC???
Old 06-28-2004, 09:39 PM   #355
Tech Rookie

Ok. I purchased my SB Sport today. I will not be able to put it
together until thursday. I want to order the needed bearings and shocks tonight.

It seems the bearings are straight forward except for the diff. Are the diff bearing 3mm or 2.5mm?

Also, is rcscrewz the only place to get the bearings?

Most importantly, I am confused about the shocks.

1) What do I need to improve the stock shocks?
manufacturer and part numbers?

2) I asked the lhs for a b4 shock kit but didn't have one. But they said they could sell all the individual pieces necessary.
Does anyone have the part numbers to put the shocks together?

Lastly, what pinion and spur would you guys recommend when using the Novak SS 5800?

This is a great thread. Thanks for all the info guys and any help you can give me.

Chris.
tmqdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:03 PM   #356
Tech Adept

From what I have heard, put Losi Bk2 shocks on and they should work, also b4 shocks should to.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:44 PM   #357
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to LosiFromHell986

Suddenly everyone is buying what I have for sale... So I should have enough within the month... it takes forever when you don't have a job!!!
LosiFromHell986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:25 AM   #358
Tech Legend

you can try rcboyz for your bearing needs. and I believe the size you want for the diff bearings is 2.5mm . Remember though some recommend using them, others don't for the diff. So if they fail don't be suprised. I haven't had an issue yet with mine in the diff.

As for shocks, you probably can get them from a guy on ebay , I believe it is kprc , something like that. He puts alot of stuff up on ebay that looks like he took about a B4 kit to sell . he also has a website where you can buy it outright. I believe to buy it outright it costs 32.50 + shipping ( about $5 bucks? ) Most shops will sell you the front and rear shock kits that will work but you will spend about $60 retail on them. I also believe the B3 shocks in the rear hang lower than the B4 ones, if they hit the chassis I don't know. I think my B4 ones in the rear are dead on.

On a different note:

I called Tim at MRC yesterday to discuss a few things, pretty cool guy by the way! I told him about the axle shearing off and he is going to check with Academy and see what is going on with the axles. If any of you guys had this happen you should give him a call and see what he has found out, it is possible you may get a new set for free. He does have replacements in stock however.

I spoke with him about if he knew of any places that would carry Kose aftermarket parts and he told me that he is going to try and see if they could carry some of the Kose parts for the vehicle. I hope that goes through as Kose has some nice stuff.

Last edited by Cain; 06-29-2004 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:50 AM   #359
Tech Legend

Looks like for gearing we are doing about 10 to 11 over the wind? Checking out what they do for the B4 and the T4 ( light vs heavy ) it goes 9 to 8 over the wind, where the 19T motor is geared similar to a 13T motor .

So using what you recommend for a tight bumpy track going with 10 over the wind using the 70T Spur :

Motor Pinion
10 turn 20
11 turn 21
12 turn 22
13 turn 23
14 turn 24
19 turn 23 - 24
24 stock ( torque based ) 24
24 stock ( rpm based ) 23

My only concern is that these selections are even larger in pinion size that what the B4 buggy uses for gearing recommendations, and I would think a 2wd drivetrain would have less drag? If the drivetrain on the Academy is that efficient, no problems here!

If I was gearing this similar in final ratios to say the B4, I would drop all these values by about 2 teeth.

I am going to try them though and see how it goes. Three-Ewes, let me know how it goes for you.

Another racer has a review of the buggy in a race situation, nothing detailed but I will post it here:

Quote:
I race in San Antonio TX at the local track. I happen to own two SB SPORTS,one xxx-4,and a xx4(soon to be X5).Last weekend i let a local 1/8 scale driver run the sb sport in the 4wd mod class. The race had 5 xxx-4's and the sb sport. Well after all was said and done the sb TQ'd and won the main buy almost a lap. Setup was stock with full bearings and a 19 turn reedy spec quad mag. This buggy does have a future in the race scene,and it looks bright!
Old 06-29-2004, 06:21 AM   #360
Tech Master

I must say, your gear ratios for cars are very conservative, considering the surface you race on. On one brand of motor here in the UK, a 13x1 in the B4 is like a 28 tooth on a big track.