R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-07-2004, 07:22 PM   #166
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I don't dissagree with your point, but remember, mine is build quality on the pins from the perspective of the newbie. The more stuff that just fits right, the better. If they even include a note saying "if the pins don't fit right, file alittle" that would even help.

As for the motor mount, as I said, I think it should be looked at, but its ok for now.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:02 PM   #167
Tech Initiate

Just spent 1/2 hour writing you guys an update and lost it...... So here's short and Sweet.

Slipper for STR-4, NO!! You lose the third bearing and I don't like that. Wait for Academy to come out with car specific slipper. BTW the slipper is 2 pads.

Oneway (st-t10/st-t55) Great!!!! Car handles great, steers great, and takes the load off of the drivetrain when nosing in from a jump. Car still fly's really well and is controllable with the break (almost) as well as without the oneway.

Duratrax shocks, Great (basically same design as Losi) B4 springs won't work (diameter to small, SB springs work) My setup right now is Duratrax white front springs, SB stock rear springs. seems to settle the car in nicely and greatly improved the jump characteristics on whoops. I'm running #30 shock oil in both, but could use some tunning in dampening, with oil or dampers.

Shawn

OH yeah, any word on Pro version?

Last edited by woody0371; 06-07-2004 at 08:09 PM.
woody0371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:03 PM   #168
Tech Addict

Do the losi springs fit those shocks?
Boatdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:45 AM   #169
Tech Legend

I am looking at picking up some hard body shocks. I was thinking of the B4 shocks, can you elaborate woody on why you decided to go with the duratrax ones other than price? ( ie- B4 shocks not long enough, etc ).

I took apart my vehicle today and examined the damage, I was actually pretty happy as I didn't bend the rear shock shaft, I only knocked the eclip free and that caused the piston to fall off. One thing about the kit shocks that I noticed that I don't like, when you get to full extension, there is alot of wobble in the shock shaft. So all I need to do is order a hingepin as I already got some arms coming in.

Woody: So I am assuming you used Evader BX shocks front and Eavader ST rear? Looks like Losi springs might fit those shocks?

Last edited by Cain; 06-08-2004 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:21 AM   #170
Tech Legend

So do anyone know what the kit springs are rated at?

Also, I don't know who else ran these things, but I was thinking of rigging up one of those RPM mini bumpers in place of the stock bumper for better protection, anyone have any of these bumpers laying around and can do a test fit? I have no problem drilling holes in the plastic if necessary, just want to make sure it extends far back enough to hold down the undertray.

Last edited by Cain; 06-08-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:50 PM   #171
Tech Initiate

Cain, you are correct in the assumption about the Evader BX fronts and Evader St rears. I don't have another front bumper to try, I'm not having problems with the one I have. I like the bottom loading design like Losi's. And yes the price. Losi springs will work on the front's, but the rear isn't threaded down far enough to use Losi's rear springs. Unless the springs for the trucks are longer, then that is the solution. I have never been a truck person so I have little or no knowledge about parts for the trucks.

Boatdork, guess I already answered your question with Cain.

Shawn
Old 06-08-2004, 03:22 PM   #172
Tech Initiate

'nother tid bit of info. The RG-T001 is the slipper for their 4wd truck. (not the STR-4) In talking to Tim this afternoon, he told me this slipper will work perfectly and will still use the 3rd bearing in the motor mount. So my slipper is back to MRC and he will send me the right one. We'll see how this one fits.

Shawn
Old 06-08-2004, 03:29 PM   #173
Tech Addict

The Losi truck rear springs are the same length as the rear springs for the buggy. So if that's the case...maybe the way to go is B4 front shocks and T4 rear shocks?
Boatdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:05 PM   #174
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK, so far, Associated B4 springs fit, front and rear with NO modiciactions or changing of spring retainers.

B4 shocks go on as a direct replacment of the kit one, but some modifying of the top platic ball will need to be done. If you require more droop at the rear, you wil have to trim the chassis around the area of the front inboard part of the rear wishbone, once done, you could use B3 shafts in there with limiters to get more droop.

Currently, myself and one other driver are going to actualy use the Griffin Purple shocks with the Teflon 3 hole pistons, and have four sets, drilled to 1mm, 1.2mm, 1.4mm and 1.6mm to try to balance the damping.

After watching an SB with B4 shocks on and mine with the long tops and bottoms on the kit shocks, there realy was very little difference in the ride (except for slightly better pack on his). I realy don't see the need to go to other make shocks, other than they are like an old pair of slippers, you know exectly what they are doing and how they feel.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #175
Tech Adept

Default Springs

I tried XXXKE rear springs and they appear to have the same diameter. Lenght wise the Losi spring is about 4mm longer. However, the Losi front spring is longer by 10-12mm.

I also have the Duratrax ST front spring but it is too long for the front and too short for the rear but they have the same diameter.

HPI MT spring 13x57x1.1mm spring also fit well and the length is about the same as the rear kit spring. And and HPI rally spring, 13x40x1.1mm is also about the same length as the kit front spring and diameter.
Supra66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:39 PM   #176
Tech Legend

Great info guys. I am leaning towards the Duratrax shocks, I like the purple ones they have.

Right now I am running the kit shocks and I got RPM AE lower cups and it will take AE springs on the shocks, I couldn't get the springs to fit properly the stock cups, they were alittle too small.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:21 AM   #177
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cain
Right now I am running the kit shocks and I got RPM AE lower cups and it will take AE springs on the shocks, I couldn't get the springs to fit properly the stock cups, they were alittle too small.
My B4 springs just went straight on, no messing, I even bought the B4 spring spacer and bottoms kit for them, and didn't need them.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:49 AM   #178
Tech Legend

For me, they springs were too small for the stock spring cup. Oh well, i like the look of the RPM yellow ones I have on now

I am thinking of trying AE truck front springs on the front shocks as I have some sitting around and the spring rates should work.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:36 AM   #179
Tech Apprentice

http://www.offroad-cult.org/Forum/im.../SBtopdeck.ppt
(right click -> save as)

this is a drawing of an enhanced top deck for the SB. Żou'll need 2 extra M3x8mm screws in addition to all the stock screws.

It joins together the front gearbox at its top and the steering plate support as seen on the RT-4 GP.
This should eliminate most of the flex of the chassis and add durability to the upper half of the front geadbox.

You can try this out, measurements should be within 0,1mm accuracy. (but you should better double check with your stock top-deck)
You'll need MS Powerpoint however, since I didn't have a CAD software at hand - when printing, make sure the actual measurements correspond with the printed ones! (should be no problem on most printers however)

I did not take away any material form the inside, since I think it's up to you, how much you want the top plate to actually give under load. (and weight is not an issue for me - brushless )
Edges aren't rounded either but I did mine with a 3mm radius that pretty much ressembles stock dimensions.
You can take whatever material you like, but I would recommend 2mm or 2,5mm glassfibre

I did the top deck since I felt that the front part of the chassis was a bit too flexible to me. Upgrading to the very expensive carbon plates would make the chassis stiffer, but wouldn't add any structural stability. (thus raising the chance for breakage)

Last edited by re-inferno; 06-10-2004 at 03:53 AM.
re-inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:48 AM   #180
Tech Legend

Nice. Do you have any pics of what you did? I would like to see your buggy with this done on it. Is it ok I post your design to some other boards, I know other guys who would be very interested.

I emailed ultimate hobbies to see if they plan to carry any of the hopup parts, I figure they will be able to sell them for less than what MRC does, which is about 27% less than retail.

I also am still trying to get in touch with BMI to see what it would take to manufacture an upgraded chassis and top deck for those who want it. Being able to get it in colors is pretty cool.

The front truck springs from AE will work but you can't run any clips on the shocks, so I don't think that is too practical for tuning.

Last edited by Cain; 06-10-2004 at 06:55 AM.