R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-06-2004, 08:44 AM   #151
Tech Apprentice

On the english page, it says that their products are distributed by Tokyo Hobbies (http://www.tokyo-hobbies.com/eng.html)

Don't know, perhaps you can get your LHS to order these parts for you, or perhaps order directly from them?
re-inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:47 AM   #152
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I think if you look in this thread some of the academy racing guys said that the current slipper wouldn't work and they were working on getting another one out there.

Did you get a chance to do any racing yet woody? Got some reports from a NY racer, sounds like the vehicle was quite durable, just needs more work on setting it up and a slipper clutch would really help.

That Kose motor mount though would really be nice. I like how it looks like you can just slight the motor around direct instead of the Cam thing.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:51 AM   #153
Tech Apprentice

I like the cam-thingy

with the precision machined excenter, put onto the rough surface of the cast-alloy mount, it has an awesome grip and would perhaps never come loose, even with the screw half thightened.
Plus, it tranfers heat much better than any other motor-mounting setup other than a clamp that fully covers the motor

BTW a question regarding the shocks:
Did any of you manage to put in the spring clamp as shown or rather "ment to be" in the manual?
this damn thing keeps on bindig and not-catching-the-hole that I gave it up, use a longer spacer and glued the dust covers to the shocks so that they themselves hold the seals.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:55 AM   #154
Tech Apprentice

One word to the current academy slipper:

As far as i'm informed, that slipper was ONLY intented for the RALLY version of the STR-4 that uses a completely different chassis structure.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:11 AM   #155
Tech Legend

That sounds along the lines of what I heard. Would make sense also concerning the fact that they do have one in the works.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:02 AM   #156
Tech Rookie

Default SB Slipper

Concerning the slipper clutch, the clutch being talked about is designed for the STR-4 Rally, it will work in the SB, however to fit the slipper you have to remove the bearing in the motor mount, possibly making the center shaft unstable. We have used this slipper in the SB without problem.

There is a new slipper on its way for the SB, and will be out in a matter of weeks.
Academy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 05:21 AM   #157
Tech Apprentice

Academy UK,

Can you tell wether the Slipper uses 2 pads or a single disk with thrust bearing assembly?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:40 AM   #158
Tech Legend

Academy_UK:

anythoughts on a redesigned motor mount along the lines of what Kose is doing? Basically not using a cam?
Old 06-07-2004, 07:13 AM   #159
Tech Rookie

Default Motor Mount

To be honest, I like the current design. I will see if I can take a video clip of David Snee and David Grunill racing. You will see then that the design at the moment is very suitable. I dont think it needs any desing change.
You must make sure when you out the motor in it is flush up against the motor mount. And do it tight.

When we go to nationals and we are skimming a motor after every run this design saves alot of time.
Academy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:47 AM   #160
Tech Adept

This is my first 4WD buggy. Started building the kit and some of the tips posted over here help out greatly. Here are my personal observations during the building process.
- The rear arms sort of bind when using the kit washers. I replaced them with 3mm 0.30 thick washers.
- The hole where the pin go through on one of my front universal is a little small, so when you tighten the set screw the dogbone will bind. Just need to enlarge the hole.
- the 4 screws that secure the spur are hitting the motor mount. I had to dremmel down some high spots on the mount.
- Need to file down the 2x10 pin so it will go into the wheel hexs
- Compare the plastic shocks to some of those HPI composite shocks, they are not as smooth. But far better than Tamiya friction shocks

Still waiting for bearings and turnbuckles to come in before I can complete the car. I basically plan to run the car in a baseball diamond so it is kind of sandy. I doubt the kit tires will help much in such a loose surface. Does anyone know the Losi XXX-4 front and rear tires will fit the kit wheels? The other option I am thinking is to run the HPI 26mm rally up front and 36mm super rally tires in the rear. Also I plan on running the novak ss brushless motor and is the gearing around 9.0-10.00 range is about right for this car?
Supra66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:05 AM   #161
Tech Legend

you should be fine running the losi 4wd tires. I am looking into the ifmar studs ( I believe thats what they are ) as the surfaces I would run it in are broken up.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:49 PM   #162
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK, before you guys start saying this and that needs changing, prioritise what NEEDS to be sorted first in development. The slipper clutch is the most important thing to get sorted on this car.

Then I think the steering arms will help make the car more direct.

The plastic shocks are fine, and I have had no problems with them but then they ARE plastic shocks, and the Griffin shocks are a direct fit. For tunning options without needing new shock bottoms Associated B4 springs fit.

The motor mount is a Love it Loath it item, only thing I don't like it is it isn't purple, I had a motor pop out of it yesterday, but that was hitting a tree root that had appeared and it stopped the car dead. The Kose one would be nice, but isn't essential.

I don't think I had any of the problems you guys have had, I have left the drive pin long as the wheel hex grips the ends of the pins and stays ON the axle when you take the wheel of, so no losing the pin.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:01 PM   #163
Tech Legend

I would say that better manufacturing of the drive pins for the hexes is a priority as since this is a sport kit and newbie drivers will most likely buy it, and it can be frustrating to them to have to do filing in the such. My hexes would NOT fit at all until I filed the pins down some.

Since Academy is looking to make inroads in the US, good fitting parts is important.

As for the slipper, I fully agree.

As for the motor mount, For me after using what is out there, it could definitely be improved. I would say it should be important, not as much as the manufacturing and slipper, but up there, maybe an option in the team kit?
Old 06-07-2004, 03:24 PM   #164
Tech Master

One thing you got to put into perspective, the more they invest in the car, the more they got to recoupe. Not saying that they wont, but one thing at the time, the motor mount works fine, there are other MORE noticeable areas that need sorting, especially if you run on high grip tracks.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:18 PM   #165
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

Quote:
Originally posted by Supra66
This is my first 4WD buggy. Started building the kit and some of the tips posted over here help out greatly. Here are my personal observations during the building process.
- The rear arms sort of bind when using the kit washers. I replaced them with 3mm 0.30 thick washers.
- The hole where the pin go through on one of my front universal is a little small, so when you tighten the set screw the dogbone will bind. Just need to enlarge the hole.
- the 4 screws that secure the spur are hitting the motor mount. I had to dremmel down some high spots on the mount.
- Need to file down the 2x10 pin so it will go into the wheel hexs
- Compare the plastic shocks to some of those HPI composite shocks, they are not as smooth. But far better than Tamiya friction shocks

Still waiting for bearings and turnbuckles to come in before I can complete the car. I basically plan to run the car in a baseball diamond so it is kind of sandy. I doubt the kit tires will help much in such a loose surface. Does anyone know the Losi XXX-4 front and rear tires will fit the kit wheels? The other option I am thinking is to run the HPI 26mm rally up front and 36mm super rally tires in the rear. Also I plan on running the novak ss brushless motor and is the gearing around 9.0-10.00 range is about right for this car?
I don't think the wheels are 2.2" but I could be wrong...if it is the standard 2.2 then any 2.2 tires will fit except the wheels has to be the one with the hexes not anything else (which means the XXX4 wheels won't fit)

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club

Last edited by Aaron Waldron; 06-07-2004 at 07:27 PM.
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote