Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wow that thing is perdy, I want one!!!

I hope Tekin can come out with the RSPscX or something. I have tested the RSP on multiple 550 motors and eventually they will fail due to heat issues. Mine was fine, then out of the blue had heat problems. Tried another one and it failed. I know they said don't run the RSP's on the 550's but we do anyways, would be nice to see a middle of the road speedo instead of using the RX8.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Any thought when they will be actually released?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SaladFork
Wow that thing is perdy, I want one!!!

I hope Tekin can come out with the RSPscX or something. I have tested the RSP on multiple 550 motors and eventually they will fail due to heat issues. Mine was fine, then out of the blue had heat problems. Tried another one and it failed. I know they said don't run the RSP's on the 550's but we do anyways, would be nice to see a middle of the road speedo instead of using the RX8.
At some point, when you sit down and review all your test data, vehicle conditions, battery condition, testing protocols, duration of test, driving style, acceleration/braking style, track or carpark specs/conditions...........your hypothesis may conclude the only common denominator regarding heat related failures might be the operator

Last edited by JDCrow; 06-03-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Time for some more 4wd SCT's to show up so we can bomb their transmissions running 3 or 4s with these bad boys.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JDCrow
At some point, when you sit down and review all your test data, vehicle conditions, battery condition, testing protocols, duration of test, driving style, acceleration/braking style, track or carpark specs/conditions...........your hypothesis may conclude the only common denominator regarding heat related failures might be the operator
With the amount of stuff I have tested, different motors, speed controls and many configurations inside hotwire this might be true. However when it's working fine and I don't change anything on my setup then heat problems pop up out of no where, I doubt its user error.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Here is an example with the Speed Passion V2 5.5R 550 with the RSP, not even meshed...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

With the amount of stuff I have tested, different motors, speed controls and many configurations inside hotwire this might be true. However when it's working fine and I don't change anything on my setup then heat problems pop up out of no where, I doubt its user error.
is your drive train binding?

I ran an RSpro in a 1/8 buggy for a few weeks with no problems, you do need an external BEC for 3s+ though
Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by whitrzac
no, the RS can't supply the amperage that these motors draw.
I don't understand why the RS cannot support the new SC4X motors. I am running the HV4.5 (890watts!!) on a Havoc 3s which is rated at 120amps/phase with no issues at all. The other Novak ESCs are rated at 540amps/phase. What is the rating of the Tekin RS when it can support a 5.5t 540 motor? The RX8 is rated at 210 amps/phase. The Havoc 3s is only capable of running the 8.5t ballistic 540.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by whitrzac
is your drive train binding?

I ran an RSpro in a 1/8 buggy for a few weeks with no problems, you do need an external BEC for 3s+ though
No binding on the drive train... I tried two power caps, three different motors and two different RS Pros in two different trucks both Jammin SCRT's. One worked great for a few weeks then last weekend I over heated, had no changed anything in the hotwire. The other one failed on the Novak HV 4.5. I love those little speedos and hate using the MMP.

Not saying it couldn't be user error either and I am by NO MEANS DISSING ON TEKIN. I love Tekin and would buy any of their products and recommend them daily and look forward to getting a few of these motors to try out.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

So should people plan to get the RX8 to run the SC4X motor?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by ShortCourseOnly
I don't understand why the RS cannot support the new SC4X motors. I am running the HV4.5 (890watts!!) on a Havoc 3s which is rated at 120amps/phase with no issues at all. The other Novak ESCs are rated at 540amps/phase. What is the rating of the Tekin RS when it can support a 5.5t 540 motor? The RX8 is rated at 210 amps/phase. The Havoc 3s is only capable of running the 8.5t ballistic 540.
It can supply the amperage, but not sustained. The heat build-up would put you thermalling before your race ended. Heat sinks go a LONG way when determing the "constant" current compared to the "rating per phase" current. The RX8 actually has fewer fets than the RSpro, but it bleeds the heat created away much more efficiently since all the fets are on the top and in contact with the heat sink at the expense of the overall size of the unit.
The ultimate setup would be an optional aluminum lower case for the RSpro along with some thermal double sided tape to heat sink the ESC to the aluminum chassis. You'd never get your esc 10 degrees over ambient.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 220 (100%+)

This is the same thing i'm wondering. How come almost all the Novak speedos will even run the HV4.5 but you have to have an RSPRO to push one if you want to run a Tekin speedo
Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Team Tekin

Here is an example with the Speed Passion V2 5.5R 550 with the RSP, not even meshed...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Something sounds wrong there, it should free spin in sensored very easily. That sounded like it was trying to go for a couple of seconds with you holding it there and then it finally went. Not good. 107 is nothing for heat by the way. If it was 200, that would be a problem. And your servo (i think that's what I'm hearing) is also sitting there in a bind, which will stress the BEC and heat the ESC up quickly too. Try another servo.

The RSPro handles that application just fine, it sounds like that one is having trouble with the sensors on the motor and it is not starting cleanly and it sounded bad even after it was spinning in the low throttle.

I have been running a 4x4 Slash on an RSPro and our 7.5T redline 1/10 motor with a 13mm torque rotor with no issues the past 6 months. There is no reason the RSPro wouldn't handle the 550 motors.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Team Tekin

Two words: Heat Sink. If we had a gigantic heat sink and fan on top of the ESC, it would do it just fine. BUT the RS wasn't designed for heavy SC trucks, it was designed for stock to mild mod 2WD 1/10 cars that weigh a little more than half these trucks do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.