Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
mamba max pro and 4.5 hv >

mamba max pro and 4.5 hv

mamba max pro and 4.5 hv

Old 06-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by diesel32x View Post
I havent had a problem with my MMP glitching with my transponder.
I have had my trandsponder not count cuz of the mmp
Old 06-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

mine started to studder then i pushed on the sensor wire and the sensor plug broke at the sodder joints in the speed controller,have to send back now other wise i like the setup mmp 4.5 with 14t pinion
Old 06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm running the MMP and new 4.5 and it's cogging bad. I'm running the 13 pinion and stock spur gear. I'm using new thunder power 2S 50C 5200 battery. Should I put the punch control up??? It seems to cog no matter how I mesh the gears. Also it hates going into reverse. It takes two or three trys with the trigger to get it in reverse.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbckevin View Post
+1 ...Hyperboys settings are spot on !!
I wonder who did his and show him how?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dentman View Post
I'm running the MMP and new 4.5 and it's cogging bad. I'm running the 13 pinion and stock spur gear. I'm using new thunder power 2S 50C 5200 battery. Should I put the punch control up??? It seems to cog no matter how I mesh the gears. Also it hates going into reverse. It takes two or three trys with the trigger to get it in reverse.
Is it cogging or stuttering? Even before I installed the CC BEC when mine was stuttering on full acceleration, it would crawl around as slow as I wanted without issue. If you can't do that I would look toward your sensor cable being the problem, whether it's bad or possibly not plugged in all the way.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Default MMP Cogging

My MMP and Novak 4.5HV is a real letdown.It has that stutter/hesitation.I have set various settings via the Castlelink also.I put a Neu 1612 2d with 4s and its no comparison very crisp from a deadstop.Try this same throttle blip on 2s and 4.5 and its ship.Is it the MMP?Lower Voltage pulls more amps right?I have good 2s 30c 5200 batteries also.I am just tired of messin with it and gonna try a Tekin.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

WOW, Seeing all these problems with the MMP and Hv motors makes me feel pretty lucky. I havent had a single problem with mine yet. Mine doesnt stutter or hesitate, never had a problem with my transponder, NOTHING. I better go knock on some wood.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

To those who had problems..

Did you call Castle ?

They have a new update ...version 1.26 , it helps with the Novak HV motors to stop the cog. Follow the setting developed by SNR and perfected by Hyperboy and you will have no problems... We have over 10 guys with this setup at West Coast Raceway , none with problems.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Did you call Castle ?

They have a new update ...version 1.26 , it helps with the Novak HV motors to stop the cog. Follow the setting developed by SNR and perfected by Hyperboy and you will have no problems... We have over 10 guys with this setup at West Coast Raceway , none with problems.
So how do I get this update? Should have it on the site, right?
Old 06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Did you call Castle ?

Somebody on another forum mentioned that was just a beta update that had nothing to do with fixing the stutter issues. Something about changing the LED to show a different setting or something. Are you sure updating to beta firmware will help? I usually try to stick with non-beta updates that have been proven.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I tried the latest firware last weekend and it shuttered, went back to the old version and it was fine. I had shutter issues but am using a similar setup up to Hyperboy and it was great, no issue.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Addict

As far as I can tell, and from what I read in a few places, the only real difference from 1.25 to 1.26 is they make the yellow LED flash at neutral when the CHEAT mode is turned off to meet the ROAR Sportsman class rule of no dynamic timing for racing. Driving my 1/8 buggy on bother versions feels exactly the same.

Small re-cap...
Set the sensor timing way down on the motor. The factory position is between 15 and 30 degrees of advance, depending n who you ask, so back it off 15 degrees and try it again. Make sure you have a good sensor cable and that the connector in the ESC is not lose on theboard, this does appear to have been a production issue with a cold solder joint on the socket, they will replace it, no question. If your goal is the utmost smoothness, run it in "sensored only" mode. Either run it at bas timing only, or use at most 10 degrees of CHEAT advance if you need that extra edge, but watch your temps if you do it. Gear it for just 30 mph to start, it is only a 500 watt motor on 2S, the 700 watt rating is on 4S. If you can deal with an occasional hesitaion, going to "Smart Sense" mode will run cooler and give a longer run time for a given amount of power. Same rules apply on timing, use one of the 3 lowest sensorless timing settings. Even he third one is getting pretty aggressive though, so be sure to try a smaller pinion the first time you crank it up.

Punch control is a mixed bag, use a small amount to soften it, but too much will kill the spool up and make you loose the ability to use throttle to lift the nose off of jumps. It slows the rate of rpm climb over time.

The MMPro BEC does appear to be a bit unstable under rapid load changes. High power servos are causing some issues. A good quality glitch busted cap on the RX power does wonders. I was ready to return my Airtronics digital servo, but a small capacitor bank cured all my issues. I am pumping 1800 watts of power through my MMPro on 4S into a Neu motor, and it works like a champ. Over 100 amps is not a problem at all. The 2=pole Novak motors are picky to get running smooth, but many SCT guys seem to really like the combo when they get it right. Gearing is still critical on that motor, do not try for too much speed. Start a little slow and you can always go up a tooth if it is off the pace to the other guys in the class.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HYPERBOY View Post
I have programmed everyones at WCRC with 100% success and no cogging or any issues.

Sensored

0 timming

Start: small

Punch: high
so is the motor timing stock , 30 degrees and 0 on the esc.....also what is high on punch control 75 plus etc???
Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by phatmonk View Post
My MMP and Novak 4.5HV is a real letdown.It has that stutter/hesitation.I have set various settings via the Castlelink also.I put a Neu 1612 2d with 4s and its no comparison very crisp from a deadstop.Try this same throttle blip on 2s and 4.5 and its ship.Is it the MMP?Lower Voltage pulls more amps right?I have good 2s 30c 5200 batteries also.I am just tired of messin with it and gonna try a Tekin.
Try a "glitch buster" capaciter. I've been running the same system since the day it came out, and glitching was BAD, would jump into failsafe mode. Ran to LHS and bought the CAP ($6-$12.... just a polarized capacitor) and INSTANTLY everything ran great! I think the ESC/Motor is just pulling so many amps, theirs not enough (initially) for the receiver.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Haas View Post
I have had my trandsponder not count cuz of the mmp
I had this problem w/mine, plugged in a capacitor and BAM problem solved. Now I am having a cog issue. I am going to try switching from smart cence to censored, I have a feeling that will fix the issue.

ill update after I try it later tonight

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service