R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liscio View Post
This is an interesting one. It's a truggy, which is a little strange (to my eyes, anyway) but would probably give it a bit more clearance than an SCT.

Where are the benefits of going with the mini hyper as opposed to one of Traxxas' truggies, or even another truggy or stadium truck?

Thanks,
Chris
I had one of these for a little while and it def doesn't have the ground clearance that the slash does. Its way smaller than the slash. On 3s with a MM 4600 combo though it was a darn rocket ship. Ran really hot though, and in my first bash session I broke most of the front end out. I like to test things for toughness haha. I dont race, or I would have kept that truck because it handled real well.

+1 for a Slash.
Ride1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
Tech Rookie

After applying the Tower Hobbies coupon code I had ($60 off $300+ - 011XY, expires today), it was hard to resist going with the 4x4 Brushless Slash. Also, Tower threw in a $10 coupon with that package, which I will easily burn up on some new paint for the Boomerang in the future, and maybe a ball bearing set.

My LHS sells the same truck (when it's in stock) for nearly $500 (CAD), and I got it for $350 (USD) shipped from Tower. After taxes and duties are applied, I'll still have money to spare.

The main thing that swung my decision to the Slash over the buggies is that it's waterproof (we get a lot of snow here in the winter). It will definitely be far better suited to the terrain that we drive on.

Looking at the pictures of the 2WD and 4WD slashes on the inside, I felt that the 4WD was totally the way to govery well built, sturdy, and ready for bashing. Also, I'm a sucker for a shaft-driven 4WD vehicle.

Now I must return to rebuilding and re-greasing my Boomerang's rear gearbox...
liscio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Nice, that should be pretty sweet.

I suppose another option could have been the Thunder Tiger XXB though.
Or the Kyosho DBX VE (although, I read the ESC is apparently dodgy).
Shimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liscio View Post
After applying the Tower Hobbies coupon code I had ($60 off $300+ - 011XY, expires today), it was hard to resist going with the 4x4 Brushless Slash. Also, Tower threw in a $10 coupon with that package, which I will easily burn up on some new paint for the Boomerang in the future, and maybe a ball bearing set.

My LHS sells the same truck (when it's in stock) for nearly $500 (CAD), and I got it for $350 (USD) shipped from Tower. After taxes and duties are applied, I'll still have money to spare.

The main thing that swung my decision to the Slash over the buggies is that it's waterproof (we get a lot of snow here in the winter). It will definitely be far better suited to the terrain that we drive on.

Looking at the pictures of the 2WD and 4WD slashes on the inside, I felt that the 4WD was totally the way to govery well built, sturdy, and ready for bashing. Also, I'm a sucker for a shaft-driven 4WD vehicle.

Now I must return to rebuilding and re-greasing my Boomerang's rear gearbox...

Congrats! I think you made a good choice and I'm sure you will like the 4wd and brushless. Tower has made ordering so tempting with the $60 off! I just purchased a Hot Bodies VE8 because of this. So addicting this hobby is.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to sim600

3 and a half and he can hold the transmitter properly already? Sweet!

If you get a different class of vehicles, it's either going to be slower or faster. When the bashing gets a little competitive, that might be a bit frustrating, especially for a young driver. Also, you wouldn't be able to share wheels and tires. (But I'm not sure if you can share wheels across brands for SCTs. Anyone know?)
Old 06-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #21
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim600 View Post
3 and a half and he can hold the transmitter properly already? Sweet!
He's a really big kid for his age. At a few months shy of his 4th birthday, he's already an inch or two shy of 4' tall.

The transmitter included with the Losi Strike is quite nicely sized for him, and he is able to get my Boomerang going with the Tower 2.4GHz transmitter as well.

Quote:
If you get a different class of vehicles, it's either going to be slower or faster. When the bashing gets a little competitive, that might be a bit frustrating, especially for a young driver. Also, you wouldn't be able to share wheels and tires. (But I'm not sure if you can share wheels across brands for SCTs. Anyone know?)
For now (and for a while I imagine) the bashing consists mostly of trying to jump over ruts in an unfinished road (caused by hardened truck tracks in mud) and him doing donuts. The racing will start soon after, I'm sure, but for right now our 'team driving' is more like a game of 'Follow the Leader'.

He also likes trying to make the car go through little obstacles, like the low step of the monkey bars in his playground, or between some car barriers, etc. It doesn't take much to entertain a kid his age, and so far he's done a good job of demonstrating some restraint in driving a fairly delicate truck.

Speaking of which, we just burnt out the Losi 550 12T this weekend after driving through some medium length grass. It's not his fault, thoughthe gear ratio I had set up wasn't ideal for him.

I'm going to try and get my hands on a very much lower gear ratio for him to drive with, in addition to a new motor...
liscio is offline   Reply With Quote