Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Brushless motor and battery for 1/8 truggy >

Brushless motor and battery for 1/8 truggy

Brushless motor and battery for 1/8 truggy

Old 05-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Brushless motor and battery for 1/8 truggy

Let's say I have a 1/8 scale truggy roller, either a Team Associated or Losi, that is setup for electric power, what motor, ESC and battery do I need? Could I run something like a Havoc Ballistic 3S with a 3 cell Lipo? Could I use a Castle Creations Sidewinder setup with a 2 cell? Or do I really need to go to a 4 cell setup and some other motor to be able to race one of these truggies? Is it just a matter of the 4 cell setup being faster, but I could get started with one of these other alternatives, or will the heavier weight of the 1/8 scale just fry the ESC/motor/battery too quickly?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cslewis
Let's say I have a 1/8 scale truggy roller, either a Team Associated or Losi, that is setup for electric power, what motor, ESC and battery do I need? Could I run something like a Havoc Ballistic 3S with a 3 cell Lipo? Could I use a Castle Creations Sidewinder setup with a 2 cell? Or do I really need to go to a 4 cell setup and some other motor to be able to race one of these truggies? Is it just a matter of the 4 cell setup being faster, but I could get started with one of these other alternatives, or will the heavier weight of the 1/8 scale just fry the ESC/motor/battery too quickly?
no way u can power a 1/8 using 2s. It will be too slow!

you can't use 3s to power a truggy, buggy maybe but not a truggy as it's bigger n heavier.

Side winder can't handle 3s n above.

Use tekin rx8, mamba monster v3 or hobbywing xerun 80/150amp esc you won't go wrong.

You can either chose 4s setup with 2000kv n above or low kv like 1350kv with 6s setup.

Batts, motor n esc setup is important. U can read more at 1/8 electric convert thread.