R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Is there really a big difference between the slash 4x4 and jammin 4x4? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/402723-there-really-big-difference-between-slash-4x4-jammin-4x4.html)

Outtacontrol58 05-26-2010 11:31 PM

Is there really a big difference between the slash 4x4 and jammin 4x4?

Is there really a big difference between the slash 4x4 and jammin 4x4? Is the slash not competitive with the Jammin? I am thinkin about gettin a 4x4....

murky123 05-27-2010 12:43 AM

I have both and I say no. the difference is not huge.
I find the jammin a bit easier to drive. with the slash you have to " work " a bit more. but that is actually a thing I like.

It all comes down to driver skills.

I dont find the jammin more durable than the slash.
only weak spot is rear hubs and stubaxles on the slash

sometimes I have the feel that I can push my slash a bit harder than my jammin

slash parts are better available than jammin ( where I live )

the slash is very competitive with the jammin. actually I get better results with my slash then with my jammin when I race

Im a fairly consistent driver. past winter I came third in the dutch national championship unlimited class.

ofna619 05-27-2010 12:48 AM

I havent driven a slash but the jammin has 3 diffs, alum chassis and a lower CG. They say the Jammin its more of a racers truck but like every one says it all driver. My LHS has parts for both trucks but I chose the Jammin because it came with the Novak system.

Shark413 05-27-2010 01:06 AM

I own both trucks and the biggest difference is that the Jammin has a much lower ride height (center of gravity). The pictures below were shot from the same exact angle. The motor/battery on the Jammin is about 1/2" lower than the Slash. This gives the Jammin a slight handling advantage (less roll), they are both pretty reliable (other than the axles on the Slash and front bumper on the Jammin) and the Slash is a little lighter.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...3/08200021.jpg
Slash PE 4x4

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...3/08200023.jpg
Jammin SCRT10 with Slash sized wheels.

ofna619 05-27-2010 01:22 AM

[QUOTE=Shark413;7462166]I own both trucks and the biggest difference is that the Jammin has a much lower ride height (center of gravity). The pictures below were shot from the same exact angle. The motor/battery on the Jammin is about 1/2" lower than the Slash. This gives the Jammin a slight handling advantage (less roll), they are both pretty reliable (other than the axles on the Slash and front bumper on the Jammin) and the Slash is a little lighter.

Are you going back to stock ride height with the Slash size wheel/tire?

murky123 05-27-2010 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by ofna619 (Post 7462136)
I havent driven a slash but the jammin has 3 diffs, alum chassis and a lower CG. They say the Jammin its more of a racers truck but like every one says it all driver. My LHS has parts for both trucks but I chose the Jammin because it came with the Novak system.

I race my slash 4x4 with centerdiff + swaybars + losi xxx-t shocks + mmp + novak HV 4.5 .
the one advantage my jammin has over my slash is het lower COG

but then again. my slash is dialed i can drive my truck with my eyes closed
its predictable, I know how it reacts in certain situations.

you can win races If you know your truck and the track. I see alot of guys with overgeared and overpowered trucks and they can not drive.

I say. get the truck that suits you best. and get to know it, turn it inside out and back again.

Oasis 05-27-2010 06:20 AM

I own both and IMHO their is a HUGE difference, one is basied on a "race" truck/buggy (ofna) and the other is basied on a "basher" (traxxas)..on the track the ofna is waaaay faster out of the box..you can make the traxxas fast but as the level of competion goes up the traxxas is at a disadvantage..I've not said you can't win with one, just sayin the ofna does have a design advantage is all..

kaisertrip 05-27-2010 06:24 AM

Their are differences???!!!!
Major Differences!!!

What do you want to do with the truck?

Answer 1...If you want to run around with your buddies and bash and have a good time, Get the Slash 4x4
the Traxxas has more part suppliers will be cheaper to bash with. The Jammin is just as reliable but some what harder to get parts for. You will break both.

Answer 2...If you want to race "at all" get the Jammin..You will never beat someone if they are as talented a driver as you are with a slash.

I love the slash its a great truck...
I love the Jammin its a great truck.....

but I tell everyone to buy the Jammin its a better truck all around next would be the OFNA Hyper 10sc then the Slash 4x4.

On race days their is SCT open class and a seperate Slash 4x4 class... if that tells you the difference.

Good question and I wish more people would ask what to get before some store talks them into something that they wish they would have not paid. The basher because they only bash or vice versa for the racer cause they only wanted to race.

diesel32x 05-27-2010 06:29 AM

I own the slash and at the track I race at, there is only me and one other guy that run the slash. The majority of the rest run the jammin and I think that there is one other truck out there. But what I have seen from racing out there at are track is that a couple jammins have broke there a arms a couple times. Now I dont know if that is just bad luck or a flaw in the a arms for the jammins. I have broke a rear hub carrier on my slash but I now have all alum. on my slash now. But between the both, they are both very competitive at my local track. I think both trucks are pretty much identical. But like I said, I havent driven the jammin yet. But I do like the way my slash handles.

Ridley 05-27-2010 06:37 AM

What the jammin gains in lower cog, it loses with more overall weight. There is no real world advantage IMHO. Modded vs modded, because thats what it always is in the real world..... performance is a toss up. We have the Slash's running 1 second off the fastest buggies here on a 35 sec/lap track. I'm sure if we had SCRT's we could get them that dialed as well, but with the higher price of parts and no local support, why bother? I take my racing seriously, and if I thought the jammins were significantly better i'd just go buy one, but from what I've seen of the ones around here they aren't anything to get all excited about. There's sure to be some awesome newcomers to the class soon as Ae, Losi, durango, and others join the fray, so maybe there will be something significantly better soon...but running that close to buggy, with a parachute body...can't really expect a whole lot more.

Ridley 05-27-2010 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by kaisertrip (Post 7462868)
Answer 2...If you want to race "at all" get the Jammin..You will never beat someone if they are as talented a driver as you are with a slash.

On race days their is SCT open class and a seperate Slash 4x4 class... if that tells you the difference.

LMAO, I'd like to see a Jammin just keep up around here. I hear about all this Jammin/ofna domination but it's nowhere to be seen in the real world....just in the bowels of RC tech :lol: please, I beg, someone with a jammin race around here and show our Slash's the fast way around the track!!! We are tired of lapping everyone!! :nod:

onemilekyle 05-27-2010 07:58 AM

Coming from having a Slash 4x4 I can give you "real world" feedback. The Traxxas is a great truck; fun to drive, durable and it pretty quick. Holds it's own on the track if you have it setup right and is in the right hands. I had done just about everything under the sun to mine and felt as if it was at it's prime, since at that point nothing I did made it any faster around the track. I like to think of myself as a smooth, consistent and relatively fast driver, so that's not the issue. I spent countless hours with this car learning it. My "real world" findings is the slash simply can't compete against the Hyper or Jammin if it's in someones hands that has roughly the same skill as you do. Unless you have the steering/throttle control of the Gods, the Hyper/Jammin breaks, or they are unskilled drivers, the OFNA cars are going to be at the front.

After not being able to place well, always finishing mid-pack due to the slash's unpredictability and high tendency to get out of shape and/or roll, it was time to make the swap to something I felt was more track suited. My "real world" research on what was fast on the track landed me with a OFNA Hyper 10sc.

The difference between the Traxxas and the Hyper is NIGHT AND DAY. Once again, NIGHT AND DAY. No, I'm not exaggerating. Driving the Slash at 110% to be fast around the track, was driving the OFNA about 70% of what it's capable of. It's silly fast, retardedly predictable, durable and a absolute pleasure to drive on the track. I can now take the lines I want to lap after lap, jump smoothly effortlessly, and usually get around the track my whole heat without rolling since the truck is so sure footed. What has this resulted in? Winning qualifiers. Winning A-Mains. Putting me in the hunt for the win everytime I go out and race. This difference was immediate.

To those who say there isn't that big of a difference between the Slash and the OFNA line, stop kidding yourself. I always had the mentality that it did come down to the driver and setup. But my "real world" experience now taught me otherwise. It has a lot to do with your starting platform as well.

Take this as it's worth. I'm not knocking the Slash down or bad-talking Traxxas. They make a great product and I myself have owned quite a few. But if your serious about racing in this class, do yourself a favor and get a truck that's already been designed as a racer. Look at what the top drivers are running. That should be a pointer in itself.

onemilekyle 05-27-2010 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ridley (Post 7462942)
LMAO, I'd like to see a Jammin just keep up around here. I hear about all this Jammin/ofna domination but it's nowhere to be seen in the real world....just in the bowels of RC tech :lol: please, I beg, someone with a jammin race around here and show our Slash's the fast way around the track!!! We are tired of lapping everyone!! :nod:

Likewise, I'd love to see your slash around here. Bring a for sale sign though, your going to need it :nod:

pedecrawler 05-27-2010 08:12 AM

There's some good stuff in here :lol:

Fas1 05-27-2010 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ridley (Post 7462922)
What the jammin gains in lower cog, it loses with more overall weight. There is no real world advantage IMHO. Modded vs modded, because thats what it always is in the real world..... performance is a toss up. We have the Slash's running 1 second off the fastest buggies here on a 35 sec/lap track. I'm sure if we had SCRT's we could get them that dialed as well, but with the higher price of parts and no local support, why bother? I take my racing seriously, and if I thought the jammins were significantly better i'd just go buy one, but from what I've seen of the ones around here they aren't anything to get all excited about. There's sure to be some awesome newcomers to the class soon as Ae, Losi, durango, and others join the fray, so maybe there will be something significantly better soon...but running that close to buggy, with a parachute body...can't really expect a whole lot more.

big fish little pond..:lol:..come on out to So. Cal and see how your slash does.."B" main if your fast..and on the Jammin being faster than the Ofna..that's not what Ive been seeing at the JBL series races..seems to be equal to me..a push..neither seems to have the advantage..on the Slash..it's pretty good but still it's not a "pure race design" sure it does pretty good and on the club level it can do good (with a good driver) but as others have said when the level of competition goes up the Slash struggles..the Ofna's (I will include the jammin to) you have soooo much more tunning opitions, the Ofna also has better diffs, more shock positions, a quicker way to change droop settings..just an opinion but a better overall layout. If you and other slashes are "schooling" the Ofnas..that has more to do with the drivers lack of skill than the slash being better..but to each their own..