Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short Course Qualifying

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Default Short Course Qualifying

Our local track wants to use ifmar qualifying for Short Course, I don,t agree.
That's getting away from the whole SC intent. I feel we should be racing each other not a clock.
Lets hear it from all of you....
Old 05-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

We always run IFMAR format for qualifying and everyone likes it. I've run gate start-style qualifiers and have to admit that I like IFMAR a LOT better.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

SC intent? Come on.These trucks raced together{headsup} in qualifiers usually causes trouble.People have this vision of r/c SC racing as they see on TV or at the 1/1 track.Its not.Ifmar qualifying lends to cleaner qualifying.Why reward hacks that feel that running into others is fun and is racing.Its not.Just because
it looks like a duck.......
Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racenut123
SC intent? Come on.These trucks raced together{headsup} in qualifiers usually causes trouble.People have this vision of r/c SC racing as they see on TV or at the 1/1 track.Its not.Ifmar qualifying lends to cleaner qualifying.Why reward hacks that feel that running into others is fun and is racing.Its not.Just because
it looks like a duck.......
I agree. Qualifying is qualiying and racing is racing. Qualifying shows that you can drive your truck. Racing is a whole different beast and a whole different skillset. Some people have great Q-times but finish abysmal in races. Some people barely make the A-main but then dominate the field.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

At our track, we do a landrush starts for all of our races. I agree with everoyone. Qualifying is qualifying and racing is racing. You dont see nascar racing against everyone for qualifying. If you get top qualifier at our track, you start out front and then the 2nd is truck length behind the tq and so on and so fourth.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If enough people at your track feel the same way, ask the race director if they would consider running it that way. Or even ask them to try it one time, if enough like it, I'd bet that they would change the format for the class.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Deosn't really make a difference. I prefere the mass start like motorcross. it's messy, but fun. In 3 quals the fast racers are still going to end up on top anyway.

But try something different. I can't stand to see clubs do the same thing every weekend.

Qualifying at little club races is pretty gay IMO. I'd rather have 1 Ifmar qual, and 3 mains.

That way a whole day of racing isn't ruined during the main by one backmarker clipping the guy in 2nd thats catching up to the leader. 3 races with a quick worlds style points finish seems like more fun and less pressure for everyone.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

The track I race on has done it two ways. One is IFMAR starts and the other being a LeMans type start. For qualifying races, I prefer IFMAR. Lets me hang back a little at the start to avoid the first corner pileup. For the mains, we line them up in rows 3 wide with the TQ picking his spot on the front row.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Having raced for many many years I can say IMO IFMAR qualifying has made "drivers" out of most people and not "racers".

Competitors don't know how to "race" each other and the biggest part is;

It's boring! It's boring to race, it's boring to watch.

Thus we don't get exposure from TV etc.

It also makes the racing program much longer.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

I love heads-up starts personally,but its not good for club racing in the long run. We do a live loop start and people go at their leisure.No extension in the program. I see what your saying but it's really about whats best for everyone and not 1 person.

Lets face it.We are not even on the radar for TV to ever be a thing that factors into how we race.They are Toys.
Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Having raced for many many years I can say IMO IFMAR qualifying has made "drivers" out of most people and not "racers".

Old 05-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Racecrafter

Boring
Often more frustrating.

I mean because the guy in front of you thinks he's winning because your behind him. and he keeps cutting you off or running over you in the braking zone. Thinking if he gets to the start finish line first he beats you.

What he doesnt realize is, you started 10 seconds after him, and although he is in front of you (or right behind you), he is half a lap behind your time.

Whether IFMAR or heads up, people will run over you. On purpose or just because they dont know how to race clean.

IFMAR Quals are a better way to seed the mains. It is hard to follow the cars on the track. But Ive found if the track uses a scoreboard (multiple BetaBrites with RCScoring Pro) it makes it easier to follow. A great race announcer does wonders too.

If your only running One Class of vehicles at an event. You can always do Fast Lap Qualifiers to seed the field. Then use a Ladder Main Format and bump ups. Lots of Racing and Advancement Opportunities to make the Final.

Last edited by JDCrow; 05-18-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

We do a live loop start and people go at their leisure.No extension in the program. .
More tracks that race fuel need to adopt the "Live Loop" method for Heat racers. No more waisted time or delays getting everyone ready. 3-5 miniute warmup time on the track and the loop automatically goes Live. Best move I did when Race Directing Nitro Off-Road Races. Save 30 minutes to an hour on race day.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

True, Live loop quals are nice. No time wasted lining up. Even in electric we're all running laps before the qual anyway. Just hit the green "track is live" button.

Unless one of the cars deosn't check in, then you need to close the straight and sort out the computer and line everyone up.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I love heads-up starts personally,but its not good for club racing in the long run. We do a live loop start and people go at their leisure.No extension in the program. I see what your saying but it's really about whats best for everyone and not 1 person.

Lets face it.We are not even on the radar for TV to ever be a thing that factors into how we race.They are Toys.
Maybe not prime time TV but there have been RC races on TV (Speed Channel, Outdoor channel and a few others) Even Live RC is boring during the qualifiers.

Hell, Lawnmower racing get more exposure. Why? No IFMAR qualifying.....
Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default line em up

At http://www.egtc-series.com we do 2 rounds of heads up qualifying with Motocross starts and a Main with a Motocross start also. One other difference we do is race by lap count, not a timer.

This is all onroad and is the highlight of the day with the biggest class turnout.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.