Wiki Posts
Search

Novak ESC Pro & 4.5HV Glitching problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:03 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Hoops
Thanks for keeping us updated man.

I think I'll just send mine in, I've sent quite a few emails and still no reply. I'm hoping I can get the ball rolling if I ship it.
Hoops, please copy me (PM) your email and your name and contact information; I will research your email and get back to you.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Hoops, please copy me (PM) your email and your name and contact information; I will research your email and get back to you.
Thank you, I appreciate it! PM Sent.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Since your racing only in timed events.
TURN OFF THE LIPO CUTOFF
The cutoff was designed for bashers that run till the battery is flat dead. The Havoc is automaticly turned on as default as opposed to XBR and GTB you had to turn it on purposly.
Novaks lipo cutoff is just too sensitive. And if your in a 10.5 or above class you don,t need no stinken fan............
Old 05-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Hoops
Thank you, I appreciate it! PM Sent.
I have forwarded all of your information to CS this AM; thanks for getting to me.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by imustbenuts
I had the same issue with a havoc Pro running HV4.5. I have HiTech 645mg servo and Futaba 3pmx radio with 603FS FASST RX.

I didn't have any glitching problems when I ran a Futaba 3003 servo. I noticed the motor would glitch when I turned the wheels left and right after installing the HT 645mg. I tried an airtronics servo with metal gears and it did the same thing. I didn't realize it until now but my car shut down on me for a few seconds a few times also. I didn't think it was related at the time but now I think it was.

After calling Novak, they said the Havoc Pro needed a software update. They received it at their location in Irvine on May 7th. As of today, I have not received an email notification letting me know it is on the way back. Plan to be without your ESC for at least 3 weeks. I am skeptical whether the software update will do the trick. If it doesn't, I will let them know of my dissatisfaction with there product. However, I have heard a lot of the same problems are common with the MMP. If it isn't fixed I will try the capacitor in the Rx. I would go back to the Futaba 3003 but I went through 2 sets of gears and don't want to keep putting new gears in it every race.

There seem to be a lot of common issues with High Torque servos, digital or analog, and 2.4 spread spectrum systems
Update:

I received the shipping email yesterday. Since I live in the San Diego area, I received my ESC today.

I spoke to the tech last Friday to see if the software update made a difference. He stated it tested fine. I asked if he tested the Havoc Pro before the unit received the software update to have a base line and see if it failed any of the tests. He said no. I asked how he knew the software update fixed anything. He couldn't answer other than saying it passed the tests. He said it would ship out Monday 5/17. After not getting an email Monday, I called Novak Tuesday. I was told they were waiting for parts. I was confused and asked, What parts? It was a software update. They told me the tech decided to swap out the Havoc Pro with a GTB and they were waiting for the shipment to come in but don't worry the GTB is a better ESC.

So, I received the ESC and sure enough, they sent me a GTB. So why did they do that? Is something wrong with the Havoc Pro software? I'm so confused with this. Is the GTB a better ESC? What are your thoughts???
Old 05-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Never heard of software problems in the GTB or XBR speed controls so it is puzzling why the Havoc line has so many problems with software.

I got a Havoc 2S when they came out and had problems with it cutting out for no reason. Sent it back for a software upgrade and it has been fine since. Two guys where I race sre going to have to send their Havoc Pros back because they are cutting out when they shouldn't. Maybe stick with the GTB and be happy you have an "old reliable" speed control.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ta_man
Never heard of software problems in the GTB or XBR speed controls so it is puzzling why the Havoc line has so many problems with software.

I got a Havoc 2S when they came out and had problems with it cutting out for no reason. Sent it back for a software upgrade and it has been fine since. Two guys where I race sre going to have to send their Havoc Pros back because they are cutting out when they shouldn't. Maybe stick with the GTB and be happy you have an "old reliable" speed control.
I do hope it turns out to be an "old Reliable" as you say. I wonder if the new Havok Pro SC ESC will have these issues as well?? If it doesn't go well I may be trying speed Pasion. I'll see how it goes Sunday at the track.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If it isn't a capacitor issue, then my money would be on the switch. When those go out, it will feel like you're chasing a gremlin.

FWIW I run 9100s servos with both of my Novak ESCs and don't have glitching.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by AndrewClaycomb
If it isn't a capacitor issue, then my money would be on the switch. When those go out, it will feel like you're chasing a gremlin.

FWIW I run 9100s servos with both of my Novak ESCs and don't have glitching.
What model ESC's do you have?
Old 05-22-2010, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

I just lost my switch. It was glitchy before it quite. I plan to replace the switch with a 8th scale one for my Jammin. These trucks take a beating!!!

I am happy with my Havoc 3s/HV4.5 and now that I am using a capacitor in the receiver I have had no issues. The Havoc 2s and Havoc Pro are very similar IMHO. The GTB is a proven ESC from Novak. I know many people who are really happy with them. Let's face it, with the power the HV motors deliver you don't need the Tekin or MMP timing advance. Then why pay the extra money for them. In Stock class I can see it and I am planning to get the new Havoc Pro SC for my 17.5 Stock SC10.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Tech Addict

I have forwarded all of your information to CS this AM; thanks for getting to me.
Awesome, THANK YOU!! I really appreciate the help!!

Originally Posted by imustbenuts
Update:

I received the shipping email yesterday. Since I live in the San Diego area, I received my ESC today.

I spoke to the tech last Friday to see if the software update made a difference. He stated it tested fine. I asked if he tested the Havoc Pro before the unit received the software update to have a base line and see if it failed any of the tests. He said no. I asked how he knew the software update fixed anything. He couldn't answer other than saying it passed the tests. He said it would ship out Monday 5/17. After not getting an email Monday, I called Novak Tuesday. I was told they were waiting for parts. I was confused and asked, What parts? It was a software update. They told me the tech decided to swap out the Havoc Pro with a GTB and they were waiting for the shipment to come in but don't worry the GTB is a better ESC.

So, I received the ESC and sure enough, they sent me a GTB. So why did they do that? Is something wrong with the Havoc Pro software? I'm so confused with this. Is the GTB a better ESC? What are your thoughts???
Nice! That definitly worked out in your favor! I just sent mine off on Friday, it would be very cool to have your luck.. I'm borrowing a GTB so I can finish our SCT series, and it's been awesome so far (the thing looks like it was beat to death, lol)
Old 05-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by ShortCourseOnly
I just lost my switch. It was glitchy before it quite. I plan to replace the switch with a 8th scale one for my Jammin. These trucks take a beating!!!

I am happy with my Havoc 3s/HV4.5 and now that I am using a capacitor in the receiver I have had no issues. The Havoc 2s and Havoc Pro are very similar IMHO. The GTB is a proven ESC from Novak. I know many people who are really happy with them. Let's face it, with the power the HV motors deliver you don't need the Tekin or MMP timing advance. Then why pay the extra money for them. In Stock class I can see it and I am planning to get the new Havoc Pro SC for my 17.5 Stock SC10.
The on-resistance (based on the MOSFETs) of controllers is important: our GTBs, SLYDRs, Havoc Pros, and (upcoming) Kinetic and Havoc Pro SC, all have very low (0.00040 ohms) on resistance and a 540 motor limit of 3.5 turns. Our Havoc 2S, 3S, XBRs are 0.00120 ohms, with an 8.5 turn, 540 motor limit.

So, because of the number of MOSFETs used in the esc, the performance of the lower on resistance controllers is superior. As the new ROAR Sportsman Class with non-timing escs develops, low on-resistance controllers will be very important.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

The on-resistance (based on the MOSFETs) of controllers is important: our GTBs, SLYDRs, Havoc Pros, and (upcoming) Kinetic and Havoc Pro SC, all have very low (0.00040 ohms) on resistance and a 540 motor limit of 3.5 turns. Our Havoc 2S, 3S, XBRs are 0.00120 ohms, with an 8.5 turn, 540 motor limit.

So, because of the number of MOSFETs used in the esc, the performance of the lower on resistance controllers is superior. As the new ROAR Sportsman Class with non-timing escs develops, low on-resistance controllers will be very important.
Thanks for the input NovakTwo. I understand the on-resistance which leads to less heat allowing higher current motors. I think the motor resistance also plays a part. My HV4.5 has more resistance than a 540 8.5t and therefore the MOSFET temps are reasonable I expect. My Havoc 3s has always been cool and has never shutdown due to ESC temp with the HV 4.5. I want the Havoc Pro SC for the timing control but the lower on resistance is a bonus for the stock class. I may get a Havoc Pro SC for my Jammin SCRT10 but at this point I have not real need. It already has too much power for me.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by speedster1919
Since your racing only in timed events.
TURN OFF THE LIPO CUTOFF
The cutoff was designed for bashers that run till the battery is flat dead. The Havoc is automaticly turned on as default as opposed to XBR and GTB you had to turn it on purposly.
Novaks lipo cutoff is just too sensitive. And if your in a 10.5 or above class you don,t need no stinken fan............
We've tried that, anything you can think of, we tried. One of the guys I pit with is a Team Novak driver... it's sent in already and waiting for it to get back in a week or so.