Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
looking to buy a 2wd shortcourse truck, but which one? >

looking to buy a 2wd shortcourse truck, but which one?

looking to buy a 2wd shortcourse truck, but which one?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Tech Adept

Default looking to buy a 2wd shortcourse truck, but which one?

it seems like 2wd shortcourse is the hot class nowadays. i have been shopping for a sc truck but they all seem pretty even. i have 3 in mind, the team associated sc10, the hpi blitz, or the kyosho sc. any ideas or opinions would be helpful.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr fit
it seems like 2wd shortcourse is the hot class nowadays. i have been shopping for a sc truck but they all seem pretty even. i have 3 in mind, the team associated sc10, the hpi blitz, or the kyosho sc. any ideas or opinions would be helpful.
The track I race at is almost all SC10 and a few Slashes. I have the only Kyosho and it's all a question of who makes the fewest mistakes. They're all good but if I break and don't have spares it's good-bye for now.

The Kyosho is sweet and requires very little to do out of the box. I would recommend filling the shocks and using Green Slime on the seals. The RTR tires are actually quite good and I use them in front with either JConcept Goosebumps or SubCultures or Pro-Line BowTies in back. The track allows that in open 27T/17.5 class. Since I'm using a 17.5 I changed the gearing to 78/24.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AreCee
The track I race at is almost all SC10 and a few Slashes. I have the only Kyosho and it's all a question of who makes the fewest mistakes. They're all good but if I break and don't have spares it's good-bye for now.

The Kyosho is sweet and requires very little to do out of the box. I would recommend filling the shocks and using Green Slime on the seals. The RTR tires are actually quite good and I use them in front with either JConcept Goosebumps or SubCultures or Pro-Line BowTies in back. The track allows that in open 27T/17.5 class. Since I'm using a 17.5 I changed the gearing to 78/24.
after more research, i will probably lean toward the sc10, it will probably be easier to get parts just in case of breakage. but i am really liking the blitz ese the one with kinda off-white chassis. but i think the kyosho is the least expensive. the kyosho comes with the aluminum body threaded shocks in the RTR. i guess i would have to go to some off-road tracks to see who is racing what and see what parts are the most available. thanks for your input.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

after more research, i will probably lean toward the sc10, it will probably be easier to get parts just in case of breakage. but i am really liking the blitz ese the one with kinda off-white chassis. but i think the kyosho is the least expensive. the kyosho comes with the aluminum body threaded shocks in the RTR. i guess i would have to go to some off-road tracks to see who is racing what and see what parts are the most available. thanks for your input.
Just be very patient with the sc10. Out of the box it is set.up for pavement or carpet and is not good off-road. You really have to tune the.suspension and weight and good grip rear tires. If you don't get.impatient and give.up on it then you will be rewarded with the fastest and best handling stock truck.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I love my sc10 indoor and outdoor... I run stock tires inside (Carpet) and run proline calibers outside. With that said it did take quite a while to find a setup I really felt was dialed outdoors.. and the RPM front bumper and a-arms are a manditory upgrade iMO. The lunsford turnbuckles are also a must have iMO..

BUT...

If I were to start over today and I didn't have any parts, I would buy the blitz ESE and a set of caliber tires and be done with it. The truck comes tweaked w/ all the goodies.. no upgrades needed. Of course I have my sc10 and I'm not about to give it up for any truck on the market.. as none are any better than my upgraded and tweaked setup.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

The RTR shocks are threaded plastic but are real smooth if you rebuild them correctly. The caps and spring adjuster are aluminum (blue). Most people at the track thought they were the velvet shocks by the way my truck handles. The parts situation is really the only negative about Kyosho. I did add the CVDs because I hate dog bones not because it needed it. Also the only thing that went bad was the top shaft when it slipped but I was replacing it to install a brushless motor and got the extended spacer and longer shaft.

Other than tires and wheels that's it. I tried a buddy's SC10 and it felt nice too, a bit less steering but that may be how he set it up. He did modify the rear uprights to get about 3* of rear toe and threw a bunch of weight in the front and rear to get the bite and steering my USC has.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I recommend the Kyosho ULTIMA SC. It's a joy to work on and it's as tough as nails. The shocks do need some work but it's easy to do. It handles very well too. Just check out the race results of the big races it has joined and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

THIS
It looks like Associated stepped it up again~
Old 05-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

IMO get the new FT SC10, it comes with all the goodies. Kyosho is nice but it does have the plastic shocks, no big deal. The only hang up I have on Kyosho is the prices on some of there parts. CVD's are like $60-$70 a set, rear stub axle (for the CVD's) is like $18~for ONE!, Slipper pads are like $17 Most parts are inline with everybody else but some are just nuts for price.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I started off racing a slash, and then changed to an sc10. In the beginning I found the sc10 really difficult to drive, but after playing with the setup for a while, the truck is just great!

I agree with rpm front arms and front bumper, and I'd also add the new bleeder shock caps to the mix.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I'm running a Slash in a stock spec class. I'm also thinking about changing to either a Blitz or an Ultima SC. I would do SC10 but since it comes with an open end bell motor I'd have to change that out to run.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've driven a blitz and it was really nice. The ESE has chassis breaking issues though. Honestly, after you've got it dialed in, the SC10 will own the Blitz but straight out of the box with no changes, the SC10 has no hope against the Blitz outdoors. On Carpet, the SC10 wins again with out of the box setup.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

HPI Blitz or Kyosho Ultima SC....
Old 05-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Krawl
HPI Blitz or Kyosho Ultima SC....
I would like to have driven an Ultima SC but nobody around here stocks parts for Kyosho stuff.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Driver86
I would like to have driven an Ultima SC but nobody around here stocks parts for Kyosho stuff.
Yeah that's the downside, you can get them from ebay though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.