R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   xxx4g+ brace to bullet proof the front shock tower mount (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/398936-xxx4g-brace-bullet-proof-front-shock-tower-mount.html)

66Racer 05-15-2010 10:00 PM

xxx4g+ brace to bullet proof the front shock tower mount

4 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Had a chassis break and judging from how it broke I think this reinforment "brace" will prevent it from happening again.Thought I would share this little mod I did. I may try in the future to make a more custom carbon fiber one to tie all the mounting holes together but for now this should work great. This may inspire someone else to make one or to share what they did on their buggy.

All you need is a spare xxx4g+ front shock tower, cut off the tierod mount side of it and trim to fit. I used a rotaray tool with a cutoff wheel but that was all the tools really needed. You will need to get some longer bolts and some nuts too. My right side required slightly more trimming to sit flush against the chassis but was still easy.

Enjoy

GSMnow 05-15-2010 11:05 PM

That is an interesting idea, I will take a closer look to that area on mine. I see a lot of people stacking two shock towers, and I have avoided that to keep from breaking the tub like you did. My current "solution" is a totally different idea. I added a front wing on my car. I will try and get some pics, but basically, I bough the front downforce kit for the XXX 2WD buggy, but used two peices of music wire off the front shock tower to hold the wires up over the tower to the plastic part that would normally screw to the front bulkhead in the 2WD. The wing then screw right onto this plastic part. The music wire is fairly stiff, so the wing can provide a little downforce, but more importantly, it acts like a roll bar, and the wires flex and absorb the impact. I run a Mamba Max 5700 in ine, so yes, I have a few very high speed wrecks with it, and I hav not had a shock tower or the tub break since adding my nose wing. I have ended a few races with the wing supprt wires bent all over the place, but that is doing it's job to cusion the tower.

66Racer 05-15-2010 11:47 PM

I have thought of doing the front wing too but didn't try to think out the mounting of it. I would like to see pics on it.

Ideally I would like to make a brace to tie in all the holes of the chassis shock tower mount. I did have the towers doubled up too but It happened not at the track lol but at home when a buddy wanted to see how fast these things go when all of a sudden a car came and I traction rolled Trying to get out of the way causing the break :( I have had some bad wrecks at the track with no breaking but sucks it went out this way lol oh well. I'm feeling a little more brave on the double towers after this mod though.

66Racer 05-15-2010 11:49 PM

Thought I would add that I remember someone mentioning that they put fuel line from rc cars on top of the tower and zip tieing it in place to absorb the shock. Might not be a bad idea but I never tried that either