Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lucked into a free Slash. Need setup help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking Lucked into a free Slash. Need setup help

Well after being out of the hobby for about 15 years or so I'm slowly working my way back in. I just received a used Slash 2wd for free from a good friend. He bought a combo of 2 used online and gave me one. Here is what I have.
• VXL brushless motor and esc (took out the old brushed motor)
• 2 x ZIPPY Flightmax 5200mAh 2S2P 30C
• Protec front Suspension kit (was already on the kit when he got it)
• 23t pinion from the old brushed setup
• everything else appears to be stock (tires, shocks, spur etc..)

I will mainly be using this truck to bash around the yard and sub division with a trip out to our local tracks on non race days every now and then. I plan on getting a 1/8 e buggy for racing down the line.
1. What gearing should I run? I was thinking about dropping down to a 17t pinion? Does this sound about right?
2. Tires/Wheels - this will mainly be in the grass and pavement with the occasional track trip. I was looking at upgrading to some 2.2s from what I've been reading. Recommendations welcome
3. Shocks - Do I need to upgrade to big bores or can I just upgrade to the aluminum shock caps
4. Any other areas I should strengthen or hop up for this basher?

Thanks again for all the help
Old 05-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

No setup tips? I tried to post at the traxxas forums but I'm still waiting to get that particular privilege.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abp667
Well after being out of the hobby for about 15 years or so I'm slowly working my way back in. I just received a used Slash 2wd for free from a good friend. He bought a combo of 2 used online and gave me one. Here is what I have.
• VXL brushless motor and esc (took out the old brushed motor)
• 2 x ZIPPY Flightmax 5200mAh 2S2P 30C
• Protec front Suspension kit (was already on the kit when he got it)
• 23t pinion from the old brushed setup
• everything else appears to be stock (tires, shocks, spur etc..)

I will mainly be using this truck to bash around the yard and sub division with a trip out to our local tracks on non race days every now and then. I plan on getting a 1/8 e buggy for racing down the line.
1. What gearing should I run? I was thinking about dropping down to a 17t pinion? Does this sound about right?
2. Tires/Wheels - this will mainly be in the grass and pavement with the occasional track trip. I was looking at upgrading to some 2.2s from what I've been reading. Recommendations welcome
3. Shocks - Do I need to upgrade to big bores or can I just upgrade to the aluminum shock caps
4. Any other areas I should strengthen or hop up for this basher?

Thanks again for all the help
Not sure about gearing a VXL in a 2wd. You should try the Traxxas web site for info on that. For bashing, the stock tires should be great for grass. If running a lot of hard pavement, switch to some on-road type tires. If you are going to be running off some big jumps, get the Big Bores, otherwise the stock ones should be fine. Just up the oil weight a little, say 50wt all the way around.

You will want to upgrade the gear cover to the RPM model. It's better at keeping dirt out. If you break any hubs or shock towers, replace them with the RPM equivalents. Enjoy the truck.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

No setup tips? I tried to post at the traxxas forums but I'm still waiting to get that particular privilege.
hello! You are verrrry lucky to get a modded slash like that, it is the most popular car in the nation. I would say run it how it is, but i would say a 20-21t pinion and go from there. let me know how it goes!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Initiate

a 21t pinion is a good place to start with your setup. my brother has a slash with a VXL and he runs a 23t pinion and the top speed is a little over 30mph.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well I went and checked my pinion again and it is actually a 28t. My buddy had an extra 18t so I'm going to try that first whenever i get my lipos in.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You don't need to register to read posts there, there's pleny of info available to read.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just got a free set of 4 pro-line wheels and am looking for a good well balanced bashing tire to put on them. I was looking at the Trencher. Is there a better option I should check out?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would run 50wt shock oil up front and 40wt in the rear. If you're willing to spend just a few bucks I highly recommend the Losi pinions. They're much harder than the Traxxas ones and will save you spur and pinion gears, especially running the Velineon setup. Otherwise you can expect to fry your pinion (soft) and spur when one starts to go south. Depending on the time since last overhaul, you may want to buy a sleeve or two of bearings and replace all of the wheel bearings and transmission bearings. While you're in the transmission, throw some 300K diff oil in there and see what you think. It really helps prevent the "diff'ing out" that happens when one wheel gets unweighted and spins faster. You'll notice a lot more on power corner speed. Have fun - I still love my 2wd Slash. It's a brick sh!thouse.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

A pinion like this? Thanks for the help

Originally Posted by t0adman
I would run 50wt shock oil up front and 40wt in the rear. If you're willing to spend just a few bucks I highly recommend the Losi pinions. They're much harder than the Traxxas ones and will save you spur and pinion gears, especially running the Velineon setup. Otherwise you can expect to fry your pinion (soft) and spur when one starts to go south. Depending on the time since last overhaul, you may want to buy a sleeve or two of bearings and replace all of the wheel bearings and transmission bearings. While you're in the transmission, throw some 300K diff oil in there and see what you think. It really helps prevent the "diff'ing out" that happens when one wheel gets unweighted and spins faster. You'll notice a lot more on power corner speed. Have fun - I still love my 2wd Slash. It's a brick sh!thouse.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've read where some people suggest just removing the gear cover instead of keeping stock or upgrading to the RPM version. What do yall think?
Old 05-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Kind of hard to put a sleeve in an electric motor (LOL). This is 2 wd electric not nitro. That is the Losi pinion and they are better than Traxxas. I prefer Robinson. I think 18 may not be enough for the Vinlineon motor. Run gear cover to keep small rocks out of the gears. This will run a pinion, spur, or both very quickly. RPM as stated previously is a better cover. Or, you can cover the hole in the Traxxas cover with black electrical tape on inside and outside of cover.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Not sure what the sleeve comment is about...
Well my friend gave me an 18t so I may pick up a 21 or 23 in case i want to gear it differently

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw
Kind of hard to put a sleeve in an electric motor (LOL). This is 2 wd electric not nitro. That is the Losi pinion and they are better than Traxxas. I prefer Robinson. I think 18 may not be enough for the Vinlineon motor. Run gear cover to keep small rocks out of the gears. This will run a pinion, spur, or both very quickly. RPM as stated previously is a better cover. Or, you can cover the hole in the Traxxas cover with black electrical tape on inside and outside of cover.