Search

R/C - How I got here, how did you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default How I got started

Great thread!! Thanks for starting it.
I got started over 20 years ago... on a hot summer evening, I was watching TV when I heard this Whrrr Whrrr noise in front of my house. My neighbor had dug up an OLD pan car he had and was running it in front of the house. This car was so old, he couldn't get parts for it. He has front A Arms brazed together out of nails and many other hand made parts.
I am a machinist, so I immediately offered to make him some new parts! Which he gratefully accepted. He let me drive it that day and I was hooked.
I scrapped copper for my first car. A Tamiya Falcon. Within a short time I picked up a broken Blackfoot and fixed it up and it has been a whirlwind every since. In 1996 I hired into Ford and was introduced to organized Racing in Michigan. One of the biggest hubs of racing in the country. We raced Carpet once a month at Jackson Community College in the winter with well over 200 entries each race. I soon got a dual sport and a Losi XXT. The MARS series in Michigan ( Now MORL) Is a huge outdoor dirt series that travels to tracks all over Michigan and averages about 250 entries a race.
It wasn't long before I was designing upgrades and parts for all the cars I owned. I wanted a shaft drive 4 wheel drive buggy and designed the TC3 "O". Electric 1/8th scale conversions soon followed all of this eventually grew into RC Product Designs.
Check out my work at www.rcproductdesigns.com
This is a great hobby full of great people. No matter where I go in the country I have had fun racing and meeting new people.
Dan
Old 05-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hrhehehehhe .... I got started through a family friend who was into racing... I had bought a savage x before that and kinda stuggled with the nitro motors... I started racing when a local let me race a spare tamiya m05 in our mini spec class... Well 6 months, 6 toy cars, and thousand of dollars later I'm 15 years old and in love with a new hobby. The way I figure it this is this nearest I can get to NASCAR without being a billionare.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I got started in 1987 because quite honestly I was hanging with the wrong crowd and wanted to distance myself from them. Several of these guys were childhood friends who were really headed down the wrong path as was I, so I needed a hobby. Another friend who felt as I did had a brother who was a hardcore racer. He would drive from Boston to Woonsocket RI every weekend to race. We went with him one night and the following weekend I bought my first car, the original RC10 gold tub version with a Novak ESC and Airtronics XL2P radio. I was hooked. Dozens of cars and 25 years later this is still my favorite hobby and best of all I know enjoy it with my 11 year old son. We have ten cars from 1/18 to 1/5 scale and try to get out several times a week weather permitting. RC is without doubt the best father/son hobby I can think of, in fact we just came back from some serious bashing.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well it all started back in the early 90's with the Grasshopper,Lunchbox and so on. Got out for about 10 to 12 years. Ordered a revo from tower and loved it. Now I have
rc12r5
mini Cooper
rc18t
lazed zx5
rb5
and 2 nitro 8th scale buggies
and a micro heli
who knows what will be next