R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Slash 4x4

I have a Slash 4x4 with the VXL-3s ECS and 3500 Brushless motor and it is all stock for now, im wondering if i can run a 8 cell Venom 9.6V 5000mAh NiMH Hump Battery. I want the most power/run time i can get with out going lipo, If i can run these batteries what would be some good gears to run with it.
Any advise will be great
Thanks
poorboy366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Substance

The Venom packs run very warm and the power increase is negligible. I would advise you to spend more money and go with a better pack.

What is preventing you from switching to Lipo?
Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

You bought it new, so what does the owners manual say in regards to how much voltage the esc can handle?

Thats a better bet than asking a bunch of nuckle heads on the internet

If you insist on using nimh stay away from venom, they are low end. SMC cells are good, but your still better off buying a high mah lipo battery.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

I wanted to stay away from lipos because of the cost of them were i live a good lipo goes for about $150-$180. i guess im going to have to bit that bullet and get lipos can you suggest and good for me to get. I would like to get 11.1v and a high mha rating
poorboy366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I ordered a few from HobbyKing in Hong Kong but that took awhile......cheap but you're taking a chance on the fact that the cells for these lipo's may not be up to snuff.

I ordered my 1st set of lipo's from these guys http://spcracing.com/index.php?categoryID=13

Very good batteries, priced reasonably. I would order both a 2S and 3S since you may find a 3S a little overkill for most situations. I've got a 2S for my little guys Slash 4x4 and it'll do 37 mph (stock gearing) according to the radar gun.

Dont forget in your budget you have to get a decent quality charger for these as well. Like they say, speed costs money....how fast do you wanna go?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Default Nimh

If you want to stay with NiMh get team Orion 7cell 4500mah Rocket Packs I race with these batteries and they put out plenty of power for the slash 4x4 and it you want a little more speed up your pinion by about 3 teeth and you'll do a solid 40-45 mph and that's plenty for a slash 4x4 and if you bump up to a 8 cell pack you'll hit 50mph easy anything more than that is overkill for such a light platform
Viper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy366 View Post
I wanted to stay away from lipos because of the cost of them were i live a good lipo goes for about $150-$180. i guess im going to have to bit that bullet and get lipos can you suggest and good for me to get. I would like to get 11.1v and a high mha rating
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._30C_Lipo_Pack

Buy those, you wont be disappointed. Factor in 30$ for shipping and a 3 week ship time. A LOT better than buying several 130$ batteries that likely aren't even as good as these. Might as well get a decent ballance charger while there to save on shipping:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...w/_accessories
Ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._30C_Lipo_Pack

Buy those, you wont be disappointed. Factor in 30$ for shipping and a 3 week ship time. A LOT better than buying several 130$ batteries that likely aren't even as good as these. Might as well get a decent ballance charger while there to save on shipping:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...w/_accessories
Good luck with those.i know guys that love them but Ill stay with name brands that I trust like thunderpower. Do they cost more, yes they do but you get what you pay for. The hobby city packs are hit and miss. Sometimes they are not balanced and never will be. I look at it this way, back in the 80's you could get a nicad pack that would run or you could spend over double and get a matched cell race nicad pack that would run circles around the others.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to the5

nice
the5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I look at it this way, back in the 80's you could get a nicad pack that would run or you could spend over double and get a matched cell race nicad pack that would run circles around the others.
Too bad the difference in this example, it does not come close to the difference between TP vs HK Lipos. HK make great practice packs. I have 4 practice HK packs and one TP race pack. No difference in power, both are 40c.
Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Good luck with those.i know guys that love them but Ill stay with name brands that I trust like thunderpower. Do they cost more, yes they do but you get what you pay for. The hobby city packs are hit and miss. Sometimes they are not balanced and never will be. I look at it this way, back in the 80's you could get a nicad pack that would run or you could spend over double and get a matched cell race nicad pack that would run circles around the others.
Between myself and my friends, we have well over 20 turnigy packs. All are flawless and work as well or better than thunderpower packs. In fact, my one friend who also has several 50c thunderpower packs, only uses the 30c turnigy packs during racing.....because they simply work better. The bottom line is, ALL lipo regardless of cost, use the same chinese cells. You can fool yourself into thinking you get what you pay for by having some american company allegedly assemble these cells, exagerate the C rating, and charge 4x as much for them, or have them assembled in china and pay 1/4 as much. personally, having had GREAT success with Turnigys, I will NEVER spend the ridiculous premium to buy the so called, "premium" packs. It's your money though, waste it how you see fit
Old 05-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to the5

you can run 2 nihm packs in paralell
the5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
Between myself and my friends, we have well over 20 turnigy packs. All are flawless and work as well or better than thunderpower packs. In fact, my one friend who also has several 50c thunderpower packs, only uses the 30c turnigy packs during racing.....because they simply work better. The bottom line is, ALL lipo regardless of cost, use the same chinese cells. You can fool yourself into thinking you get what you pay for by having some american company allegedly assemble these cells, exagerate the C rating, and charge 4x as much for them, or have them assembled in china and pay 1/4 as much. personally, having had GREAT success with Turnigys, I will NEVER spend the ridiculous premium to buy the so called, "premium" packs. It's your money though, waste it how you see fit
There is a difference between 30c and 50c. If you cant feel it then thats why you are happy with the Hong Kong lipos. More power to ya.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
There is a difference between 30c and 50c. If you cant feel it then thats why you are happy with the Hong Kong lipos. More power to ya.
The only difference is one says 50c and the other says 30c I won't brag on myself cause thats not how I am, but I will say my buddy that leaves the trackpower lipo's in the toolbox when racing is one of the best racers I've ever seen, and when he says the Turnigy's are just as good and have just as much punch and runtime, everyone around here listens with absolute attention. I have ran his trackpowers several times in practice, and I wouldn't trade one of my 23$ Turnigys for 2 of the 150$ trackpower packs

Well, now that you mention it, I do notice a difference in feel.... My wallet feels a little bit thicker in my Jeans

Last edited by Ridley; 05-12-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Coming from a flyer, who has purchased close to 100 packs.
Between me and my flying buddies, we have had hundreds of packs.

ThudPow, Excite, PolyQuest, SMC, Hyperion, even Etech back in the days of 5c/8c....Turnigy/Zippy/Rhino all work them same. No kidding, they do. You get a dud from any and all manufactures. The "better" brands support them and you can return the duds. The UH style, you take your losses and toss the occassional dud (or send a nail through it to watch it vent with flames).

But at $20-25 bucks versus $75-100...still WAY better off in the long run with the less expensive. Gotta buy a bunch at once. Have to wait a good 10-12 days (not weeks) for them. Have to ammoritize the shipping cost. But still worth it.
Most all flyers use UH packs. Ours are all large 3S 4S and 6S5000 size packs. We draw constant 10-20c pulls out of them for 6-7 minutes.

That said from a guy that just bought a 30c (35?) hyp 2S5000 from the LHS today?! OuchBabe, that hurt. But...I'm going to my second race this weekend and want to practice as much as possible before driver's meeting.

Coo