Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Announces Speed Control Limits in Sportsman Classes

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default ROAR Announces Speed Control Limits in Sportsman Classes

ROAR made the announcement yesterday May 5th that they are limiting speed controls in the Sportsman classes. This will eliminate any timing advance speed controls you might have. So what do you think of this new rule? You can find the complete article on ROARs website.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It will be interesting to see if the club racing follows suit.

Good thing I don't play in Sportsman class.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

If I get to the point that I'm good enough to be running ROAR events, I'll probably be running mod anyway.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

the real question is how are they going to police the new rule?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529
the real question is how are they going to police the new rule?
not let you run any new ESC with timing advance capabilities

time to whip out the GTB!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We have been in constant contact with the Mfg Affiliates and all have been working to create a solution.

This move does not necessarily eliminate the use of Advanced Speed Controllers. Companys have developed, or are finishing development of Firmware updates which will contain a Profile that disables the Timing Advance Functions of the new generation ESC's.

Novak and Castle will also have Firmware with such a Profile.

For example, a Tekin RSPro can be setup on Profile "x" which is set for ZERO timing and does not allow Dynamic Timing Advance, Boost, Rampup, or Turbo Functions etc.

Additionally they will have a visual indicator when the Profile is Active for ease of tech Pre and Post Race.

It is also a good move because now the legacy speed controllers can remain in use for another group of racers, and compete alongside new generation speedos in a compatible manner.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by annonymous
not let you run any new ESC with timing advance capabilities

time to whip out the GTB!!!
seems kind of silly since almost all of the current generation ESC's have some form of timing advance via pc interface or fixed profiles.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Typical ROAR a day late and a dollar short wait till everyone buys new speedo's then make rules .
Old 05-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Hopefully, all spec classes (17.5, 13.5) will adopt these rules and get speeds back to where they should be. Save all the timing boost turbo for the guys that want to run their spec motors in open modified. A 17.5 buggy shouldn't be doing wheelstands down the straightaway!!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Who DIDN'T see this coming??
Old 05-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)

Why? Why is ROAR needed to come in and decide what we ,the public, get to run? Whats wrong with lifing the wheels out of corners or down the straight? Why should racers have to buy an inferior product? Is ROAR considering what the "public" wants? This reminds me of the ruling that there is no longer a "Super Stock" class. That was a great rule...and it lasted a few weeks. It lasted until racers let it be known that we liked the 13.5 class. Instead of ROAR amending the rule, now they are allowing anyone to run in the stock buggy/SC class.

Why make major rule changes 3 months before the event? Who votes on these issues? Do racers actually get a say in what happens? We pay the bill...we pay for ROAR membership...we support the tracks.

Tekin invented an amazing product. Don't hold it aganist them that they figured out something that no one else did. A few years ago another company had a much better brushless speedo than another company. ROAR didn't jump in and save us then, why should they do it now? The speedo thing needs a break.

What if ROAR said that you could only run a rear motor chassis vehicle? Would that be fair? People would be screaming. Does having the motor mounted in front of the trans offer an advantage over a std rear motor mounted chassis? There seems to be a claim that it does. Should ROAR jump in and save us from this? Change isnt bad....we need change. It helps us to grow. Lets give the speedo issue a break and talk about something important like what Panther tires will work for the Leisure Hours track.

Remember: A bad day of playing with my toy car is better than any day of working.

Last edited by Ray Kindstrom; 05-06-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trx-1racer
Who DIDN'T see this coming??
Yep.Needed to be done to get things back into check.It will make it easier for newbs to make the leap from a slash class to a stock buggy or truck class. Both from an ability perspective, and from an investment to run that class perspective.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Legend

Default What a Mess

Can't say how glad I only race mod ....

Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

something is wrong when a 17.5 is as fast down the strait as my 9.5
Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Ray Kindstrom
Why? Why is ROAR needed to come in and decide what we ,the public, get to run? Whats wrong with lifing the wheels out of corners or down the straight? Why should racers have to buy an inferior product? Is ROAR considering what the "public" wants? This reminds me of the ruling that there is no longer a "Super Stock" class. That was a great rule...and it lasted a few weeks. It lasted until racers let it be known that we liked the 13.5 class. Instead of ROAR amending the rule, now they are allowing anyone to run in the stock buggy/SC class.

Why make major rule changes 3 months before the event? Who votes on these issues? Do racers actually get a say in what happens? We pay the bill...we pay for ROAR membership...we support the tracks.

Tekin invented an amazing product. Don't hold it aganist them that they figured out something that no one else did. A few years ago another company had a much better brushless speedo than another company. ROAR didn't jump in and save us then, why should they do it now? The speedo thing needs a break.

What if ROAR said that you could only run a rear motor chassis vehicle? Would that be fair? People would be screaming. Does having the motor mounted in front of the trans offer an advantage over a std rear motor mounted chassis? There seems to be a claim that it does. Should ROAR jump in and save us from this? Change isnt bad....we need change. It helps us to grow. Lets give the speedo issue a break and talk about something important like what Panther tires will work for the Leisure Hours track.

Remember: A bad day of playing with my toy car is better than any day of working.
I am sorry, but I need to step in and say something here.

The whole point of a spec class, 13.5, 17.5, 27 turn, 19 turn, you name it, was designed to take the motor out of the equation and hghlight the driver and help keep costs down, somewhere that got messed up. It all started with the first 27 turn stock motors when people figured out they could crank the timing. The spent a lot of effort working with the manufacturers to make it so you could not crank the timing between the comm and arm stack, but it still never completed stopped this.

If you are not racing at ROAR events, run whatever you want, and if you just want to be fast, RUN MOD!!! don't scream and cry and say I want to be in the slow class with a ton more power than everyone else. I love technology, and I knew the brushless ESC's were going to come along to do this. I wrote about it 2 years ago on the Car Action Forums. My idea was about making modified motors have a wider power band and longer run times with optimised timing, but I always knew the technology would allow a "Stock" motor to make much more power. That is just not the spirit of STOCK!

I agree in that I don't want to see a single motor and/or ESC mandated, but having all the "stock legal" systems have a mode that puts them on the same level is not a bad thing. These new ESC's are like showing up at Taladega and boring out your restrictor plate. Would that be a problem?

I have no issue at all if ROAR mandates a fixed sensor timing angle and an ESC profile with no advance to get an approved for stock use sticker. Super Stock could be much the same. Use the same profile and timing but with the 13.5 instead of 17.5 and it will be cheap for the manufacturers to abide. The biggest problem is all the equipment out there already. My Losi 13.5 motor dos not have adjustable timing, and I think it is off anyways. There needs to be an easy way to verify true timing, like a timing light on a piston engine. A Spec class needs to meet SPECIFICATIONS. The motor is spec'd to make X amount of power. If you are a good driver and can carry more speed in a turn, or scrub less in a transition, yu will win. Not the guy who can buy more power. The power race is in Modifier.

Now the problem will be people who can figure out how to make their own ESC code and make it report the "legal" profile while still giving advance, and to mak eit even tougher to tell, they may even have to make it so it responds in the legal manner unless the wheels are loaded on the ground, and only give boost after a certain time from power up. I know there are peobably already people begging Tekin to do this for them. I sure hope it does not go down that road, and there should be strict penalties if a manufacturer is caught programming cheater ESC's for a big race. Formula 1 mandates a Spec ECU now, and they all have a fixed rev limiter. It would be a huge deal if a team got around that and had an engine rev just 500 rpm higher, the team would probably be banned.

Yes, these are toy cars and people like to drive them fast. Go ahead, do that, but not in STOCK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.