R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-30-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Smile Which r/c is best for me?

I'm new to these forums, and to r/c in general. I just recently began seriously considering buying an r/c car, although i have had an interest in them for some time. I ride atv's and i would like to get an r/c that is capable of driving on some of the same terrain that i use my atv on.
I would like a nitro 4x4, preferrably not a tall monster truck, because those seem to roll easily. I would like something like an HPI MT-2. I dont know if thats a good one or not, but just something similar to it.
I want to drive it in the trails i have around my house, some steep hills and lots of hard packed dirt flats as well as grassy fields. I dont know if a .15 engine would have enough power for really steep hills or if i should go with a larger bore engine, or whether the car itself would roll over backwards easily.
I would occasionally take it with me when i go riding in sand dunes but i dont know if thats bad for the moving parts or how well it would drive in dunes at all.
Also, i dont know much about the difference between maintaining an electric r/c compared to nitro. In the long run, which costs more? How much does the fuel the nitro cars use cost and where do you get it? Would a small bore nitro put a big electric motor to shame power-wise? Basically anything you could suggest or anything you can tell me about r/c would help me a lot. Thanks.
JohnnySplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
Tech Elite

It really sounds like you need a 4WD 1/8th scale buggy. Pro-Line (www.pro-lineracing.com) makes paddle tires for you to use in the sand, and they throw up some awesome roost.

Electric is cheaper in the long run to bash with (simply because you don't have to keep buying fuel), but coming from someone who has brought his R/C cars out to Glamis to play around with, nitro is the only way to go. You will have virtually unlimited run time (simply fill up the tank and go!) and won't have to mess with batteries and chargers (other than the reciever pack, which can last for an hour at a time).

Some cars to look at would be the Hyper 7 RTR PCR, Kyosho Inferno MP-7.5 RTR, and the XTM Xterminator. All of these cars come Ready-To-Run, and parts should be readily available at your local hobby store (XTM is through Hobby People stores).
Old 05-01-2004, 02:05 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

I had considered a few 1:8 buggies but (i could be wrong) they look too much like racers that are only good on a groomed track. I want something that can really use the 4x4 capability and it would need substantial suspension travel and adequate ground clearance.

Also, i read that the 1:8 nitro buggies are much more expensive than 4x4 nitro trucks. I looked at the three you suggested, and, although they are somewhat less $ than i expected, they are still a little pricey. I would hope to find something in the $300-400 range. I dont need the most powerful, state of the art car, i just want something that can do what i want it to. I cant quite picture the buggies doing the kinds of trails and hills i would like to do, but that could just be me underestimating the buggies, or overestimating other r/c's. The buggies look a little more fragile than the monster trucks do as well. Also, do the RTR kits come with the ....(for lack of a better word) controller too? How big is a 1:8 buggy and what scale are most of the monster trucks (and how big are they)? Thank you for your help.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:34 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Hmm, if i were you i would prolly buy the Savage or the Revo
AdmiralDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
Tech Elite

An 1/8th scale buggy will be more off-road capable in every application than the MT-2. Unless you're trying to re-create Moab, Utah rock climbing competitions, a big buggy will be the most fun where you plan on going.

They are the fastest and best handling off-road cars in R/C, and with 4wd, will pull you over almost anything. They don't have much in the way of ground clearance, but that doesn't stop them..trust me. In comparison, monster trucks are slow, awkward, and less durable.

All kits labeled as RTR or Ready-To-Run include a complete radio system (controller) and basically everything you need to get running (except fuel and batteries).

Most monster trucks are 1/10-1/8 scale, which happens to be quite a bit bigger than a 1/10 scale racing truck or 1/8 scale buggy. A 1/8 scale buggy is about 18-20 inches long and about 13-15 inches wide (these are rough estimates, I don't have one here to measure).
Old 05-01-2004, 11:42 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Thanks, i looked at the buggies again and they're beginning to grow on me, but i dont know a whole lot about them. I saw a couple videos of them on various websites and they do seem very capable.

But, of course, i still have tons of questions. How much should i expect to pay for one and how much do they cost to maintain? How much does the fuel cost and how efficiently do they burn it? Can i get everything i need (fuel, any replacement parts, maintenance items, etc.) at my local shop? How far away can the car go before it loses radio communication? How fast do they actually go? Are they reliable or do they require a lot of maintenance? Are there any other models or brands you would recommend? What size engine do most 1:8 buggies have and how much power do they produce? How much do they weigh? How much suspension travel do they have, and is it adjustable in any way? Would the models you recommended be easy to find? (are they likely to be at my local hobby shop?)

How easy is it to learn how to drive r/c cars? How do they respond to user input? (do they have a throttle like a car that you can moderate how much throttle is applied or are they just on/off like the cheap r/c's? How does the clutch work and are they automatic trannys? How responsive is the steering, and is it awkward to steer with the wheel on the side of the radio transmitter? (if that is what that wheel is for) How are the tires for offroad driving? How much do aftermarket tires cost if i needed a different tread pattern? (sand paddles, mx style, offroad) Would it be cheaper to not get an RTR kit and just build it myself or does it require a lot of tools that would invalidate saving the money over the RTR?

Also, do you know of any good websites about 4x4 nitro buggies? Sites for r/c videos, or sites for r/c aftermarket parts or where i can find other rtr kits?

Sorry to be such a pain, i know noobs can be a little annoying, i spend a lot of time on an atv forum answering noob's questions and i appreciate the effort of someone doing the same for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by JohnnySplat; 05-02-2004 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:39 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Johnny, stormerhobbies.com is a good site that have all the stuff you would need. I looked on there and in search type in hot55000..its a real good buggy i have seen it in person and it looks really nice. Its pretty cheap too. Has alot of aluminum and cool looking stuff. You would need batteries, fuel, glow igniter and thats all as with most of the rtr versions out there today.
Brandon R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:15 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

I looked at a lot of other models and i think ive decided that a monster truck would be best for me. The buggies are nice, but i still dont think they're quite up to the challenge the terrain i intend to use them on presents. I have been looking at a couple brands and I think HPI would be a good brand. Unless theres anything wrong with HPI that is.

I would be looking at either the Savage 25 RTR, the Nitro MT 2 RTR, or possibly the Savage SS (if you think a noob can assemble it), or the nitro rush evo RTR (if you think it would be okay in rough trails).

I want to use it on some really tough trails, not quite moab rock competitions, but not far from it. I dont need a fast r/c, i would actually go for the slowest one if it was still a good truck. I want to do steep hills and slow rough trails. Slippery tree roots and rocks and other obstacles where good tire grip and pretty good ground clearance and suspension travel is needed. I see a lot of videos of people jumping their r/c off a hill, but i want to go up the hill instead. are monster trucks okay for climbing hills? Also, are they capable of going very slow over rough terrain (possibly like they do in rock climbing competitions)?

As for the different models, im not exactly sure which one would be best for me. Of the four, i think that i would be best off with either the Savage 25 or the Nitro MT 2. I would consider the others if i had a good reason to. I like the MT 2's low center of gravity and wide stance. I think it looks very stable but capable at the same time. I dont know if it would have quite enough ground clearance though, thats the only drawback. The savage is pretty much the opposite. I think it would have very good ground clearance but i dont know if its stable enough. I want to be able to go up steep hills and turn easily without it rolling over. Also, i cant find a reliable source for pricing on these models. How much do they go for at an average hobby shop?

Most of the use would be on the terrain i listed but once in a while, like i said, i would take it to the dunes. Do they make paddle tires for the monster trucks i listed or do they only make them for buggies? Would they be better off with just paddles on the rear and knobbies on the front or should i get paddles all around?

Sorry for all the questions, i just dont wanna make the wrong decision and end up with the completely wrong truck (or car, or buggy).

Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:31 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

if i was in your situation i would go with a buggy. that said there are limitations to both the buggies and monster trucks.

if you're going with a monster truck, then dont go with the mt 2. the savage 25 is a great truck, it will also come with the radio equipment. the savage is one of the most popular trucks on the market so parts should be easy to find.
the ss is also a derivative of the savage and thus pretty equal to the 25, the only thing that you need to remember is that with the ss you have to buy the radio as well.
you said that u might be wanting to do stuff like real life rock climbing, then you might want to look into a rock crawler, bearing in mind that they can go over pretty much anything and in some cases i have seen ones with 180 degrees of articulation!! gthere is ofcourse the fact that they're slow and electric. they include clodzillas and gecko clods (based on the tamiya clodbuster), i think that there is the x factor which is nitro though.

in terms of videos, i would look at rcpics for general videos. for rock crawler videos look at mudcow.com, which is in my belief the best rock crawler video site on the net. for any more info on the savage there is a dedicated forum at rcuniverse

hope this helps and sorry about the length of the post

jim

Last edited by Aaron Waldron; 05-03-2004 at 04:17 PM.
sparky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:24 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

I'm still a noob myself, but I'll answer as many questions as I can.

Quote:
Can i get everything i need (fuel, any replacement parts, maintenance items, etc.) at my local shop?
That depends on the parts your LHS stocks. Some stock more parts for certain brands than others. It is recommended that you check out your LHS 1st to see what they carry.

Quote:
How fast do they actually go?
That depends too. Most monster trucks will do around 30mph, while some can get over 40.

Quote:
Would the models you recommended be easy to find?
A TRAXXAS T-maxx.

Quote:
How do they respond to user input? (do they have a throttle like a car that you can moderate how much throttle is applied or are they just on/off like the cheap r/c's?
Yes, you can moderate the throttle.

Quote:
How does the clutch work and are they automatic trannys?
Most have a slipper clutch that engages automatically. Yes, most transmissions are automatics. The trannies I've seen range from 1-3 speeds.

Quote:
How are the tires for offroad driving?
Most tires that come with the trucks are just fine for off road. They work well over a wide number of terrains.

Quote:
How much do aftermarket tires cost if i needed a different tread pattern? (sand paddles, mx style, offroad)
I'm not sure about prices for different types, but I saw some Pro-line (I think) paddle tires for a T-maxx and they were about $22 a pair.

Quote:
Would it be cheaper to not get an RTR kit and just build it myself or does it require a lot of tools that would invalidate saving the money over the RTR?
Oddly enough, RTR's are cheaper than building the kit yourself.

As far as what to buy. I think you need a monster truck too. A buggy is very capable, but they are not rock crawlers. It seems that you want something that handles well and that will crawl rocks well. Cars that handle well, usually don't crawl too well. And trucks that can crawl over anything, usually don't handle too well. If you want a truck RIGHT NOW, I'd say get a Savage. The MT2 is nice, but's it's basically a 4wd stadium truck. But, my advice is to wait until June for the Traxxas Revo. That's what I'm doing. The Revo looks like it's going to be an amazing truck. It will handle better than most monster trucks and can climb over anything. Check out http://www.traxxas.com/REVO/ for some videos of it in action.
dylan-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:29 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Well.....i wrote you a very long reply that took about 15mins and when i clicked "submit reply" it said i didn't log in.....when i actually did.....so i logged in and it gave me the blank reply page again. : I dont feel like writing it all over again but ill summarize the 5 paragraghs in to a few sentences.

"Don't hesitate to invest in the beginning if you know you like the hobby and will be staying in it for a while because upgrading cost alot more."

Recomemdations:
Monster Truck: Traxxas Revo
Buggy: Mugen MBX5 or Kyosho MP7.5
Stadium Truck 2wd: Mugen MST-1
4wd Stadium Truck: There really isn't much choice: but i would choose the HPI

Last edited by Techart27; 05-05-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Techart27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:46 AM   #12
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Honestly, the Revo looks nice, but I can' t see recommending something that no one had driven yet. Most of the trucks look good on video or they wouldn't release a video of it, but when you start to bash with it thats the true test as you find out very quickly if its durable or not.

Since you are a newbie, you most likely want something that is well made, and you can get parts for and help on either at the LHS or Online.

I would recommend buying a Savage SS just due to the fact that you do get to put it together and make sure it was put together right the first time. Working backwards by tearing down the Savage RTR and then puting it back together can be more daunting.

Whatever you choose, make sure you use loctite on ALL the screws that thread into metal, especially the RTR version as it probably isn't done already for you.

If you do buy, not a bad idea to buy from your LHS as they would be more inclined to help you with the vehicle.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:26 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Cain is correct- AKA Thread Lock- helps secure screws to metals since it doesn't "hold" like plastic does. I've known of engines falling off a car due to the vibrations
Techart27 is offline   Reply With Quote