Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Losi XXT, need advice/hints/such

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Team Losi XXT, need advice/hints/such

Got this back in 1990-something, played around in the yard with it, broke the antenna on the remote, and it has been in storage until a couple weeks ago...

I found out we have local off-road races here so I would love to get this baby up and running well enough for some bi-weekly racing!!

Does anyone know anything about this Motor? I remember it replaced the stock one, it was a racing motor for sure, but how does it stack up nowadays?

Also having some issues with lack of turning radius... literally a 20-30' turning radius... pretty bad.. What sort of adjustments are there? Is my steering servo done for?

The (differential?) is making noise as well, I think I should pull it apart before it blows up?

Thanks for any input!!! I'll offer any more information you may need!

(Apparently I can't post pictures yet, need more posts under my belt... anyone know how many? Thanks!)

Pics!

Last edited by GoStumpy; 05-04-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I raced that truck alot in its day. If the truck is barking at you when you excel hard (coming off jumps and gas-ing out of corners) then you diff is loose and will soon go out.

Check your radio's EPA adjustments make sure they are turned up, then check servo horn to see if its the right size, its fairly large compared to a XXX one.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GoStumpy
Got this back in 1990-something, played around in the yard with it, broke the antenna on the remote, and it has been in storage until a couple weeks ago...

I found out we have local off-road races here so I would love to get this baby up and running well enough for some bi-weekly racing!!

Does anyone know anything about this Motor? I remember it replaced the stock one, it was a racing motor for sure, but how does it stack up nowadays?

Also having some issues with lack of turning radius... literally a 20-30' turning radius... pretty bad.. What sort of adjustments are there? Is my steering servo done for?

The (differential?) is making noise as well, I think I should pull it apart before it blows up?

Thanks for any input!!! I'll offer any more information you may need!

(Apparently I can't post pictures yet, need more posts under my belt... anyone know how many? Thanks!)
As for the motor , does it have any marking on it far as a brand and model . Best bet , I`d get a new motor as motors have changed a lot since then . Just depends if you will be racing stock[27 turn] , 19 turn , or mod . Before taking it to the track you should go through rebuild the diff if needs it or at least grease the diff and thrust assembly . Also parts are hard to get and will only find them on ebay and check your hobby shop as they might have some in the back . You can buy a parts truck pretty cheap . Now for steering , like mention check the radio and make sure the EPA , highpoint , or endpoint [each brand calls it something different ] . Next you will want to look up some setups for your track condition and find out what tires to have that work best at the track . The XX-T can still be competitive these days and always nice to see an older truck on the track .

Do you know which XX-T you have ? XX-T Sport , XX-T , or XX-T CR ? If you want you can send some pics to my email and I`ll help you out as much as I can . PM me if you want my email .
Old 05-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by synap2012
I raced that truck alot in its day. If the truck is barking at you when you excel hard (coming off jumps and gas-ing out of corners) then you diff is loose and will soon go out.

Check your radio's EPA adjustments make sure they are turned up, then check servo horn to see if its the right size, its fairly large compared to a XXX one.
The diff is making noise when I hold the truck up, kind of a vibration noise really... there's the normal BRRRRR of stuff moving, then the secondary "BRAAAAAA" of when something isn't going properly... I think a vid may be necessary? haha!

How easy is it to take apart and rebuild the diff? Don't think I ever did that before!

Here are a couple pics of the electronics on the truck:

Last edited by GoStumpy; 05-04-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Briguy

Do you know which XX-T you have ? XX-T Sport , XX-T , or XX-T CR ? If you want you can send some pics to my email and I`ll help you out as much as I can . PM me if you want my email .
I don't think I can send PM's til I have 10 posts?

The motor is "Peak Performance Racing" "Nightmare" and has "ROAR 95" stamped on the bottom
Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Rookie

I don't think I can send PM's til I have 10 posts?

The motor is "Peak Performance Racing" "Nightmare" and has "ROAR 95" stamped on the bottom
I have a XXX-T and need some advice. My truck has sat for about 7 years. I am in the process of rebuilding my shocks, but what about my transmission? Any advice? Much appreciated, peeps.........
Old 05-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Edit:

Last edited by tysonlb; 05-12-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 05-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs down

Edit:

Last edited by tysonlb; 05-12-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: dup. post
Old 05-04-2010, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Transmission rebuilds are easy and very important!

-remove trans from truck
-open case and remove all bearings
-clean and lube all bearings
-take screw driver and remove screw holding diff togather
-slowly pull diff apart
-pull each part in the diff apart and set it aside in order on clean rag
-clean each part
-inspect Diff gear for damage
-lube thurst washer assembly and the diff ballz in diff gear itself(but dont over do it)
-screw diff back togather (tight enough where it almost impossible to move the gear by itself while holding the diff halfs)
-inspect/clean gears
-put transmission back toagather

If I missed something Im sorry, but this is how I do it
Old 05-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Initiate

I think this manual helps with the order to put the diff back together?

http://web.archive.org/web/200106121...d/xxtgraph.pdf
Old 05-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Initiate

One more time..

I have the Team Losi XXT CR Graphite Plus I think?

I have graphite everything... Except a couple anodized aluminum pieces that I think kept breaking
Old 05-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok tenth post, can I add links yet? Woohoo OK go back to my posts I've added the appropriate links

Not sure where I found this info but is this correct?

Max RPM: 27,371 Max Power: 111.6 Watts Torque: 7.7
Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

All posts have had good suggestions. Two thoughts, the motor is an outdated stock but if it works well and you have a local stock class run it and see how it does. The electronics are old school but same comment as before. With everyone going to 2.4 radios, you have a slim chance of a radio hit now days. See what type of servo you have in the truck. If it is stock you probably need a high torque high speed unit for this truck. Losi was notorious for not turning well.

When you rebuild, lay the parts out in sequence so you know how to put it back together. Use the manual (if you have it) or down load it from Losi to see how things should be assembled. I think one of the posts has a link to the manual in it.

I would remove the hydra drive from the spur gear as it is not needed and can make setting the slipper more difficult unless you have a lot of experience with the hydra drive set up.

Clean her up, rebuild, lube, and go have some fun.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

One more time..

I have the Team Losi XXT CR Graphite Plus I think?

I have graphite everything... Except a couple anodized aluminum pieces that I think kept breaking
From the looks of it you have the XX-T CR as the Graphite plus came with the dual slipper , which I would upgrade to .

You can zoom in on the tranny to help you take apart and put back together .
http://web.archive.org/web/200106121...oded/xxtcr.pdf

clean the diff gear , diff balls , and diff rings , also the thrust bearing assembly . If the rings have a groove in them flip them over so you have a fresh side . Grease the the thrust assembly with thrust lube and the diff gear with diff grease and tighten slowly and spin the diff a few times as you tighten it . You want to tighten it so that if holding both outdrives the gear will not move .I would follow these directions to break-in the diff .

After you run it for a couple laps check and most likely will have to tighten up a little .
Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok, I took the diff apart today, inspected everything.. Everything as actually in really good shape... bearings all moved freely with no play, gears all looked damn near perfect... Not sure what is making the noise!

After I put it back together, it is still there for sure, and I also notice I can make the noise by holding one tire and spinning the other.. not quite a grinding sound but definitely close...

Taking it to the local shop, Speedway Hobbies, tomorrow, we'll see what they say about that and the steering servo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.