R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   E-Revo Brushless (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/394859-e-revo-brushless.html)

skengines 05-02-2010 08:31 PM

E-Revo Brushless

Hi Guys,

I have been out of the hobby for about three years (was into 1/8 Nitro Buggy) but I am looking to get into electric and have decided to purchase the E-REVO Brushless edition. I have made a list below on what I am getting, but if you guys have any suggestions, please let me know!

Electronics:
Stock radio and servos
Charger Venom (2)
Lipo batteries (I need help here too!) I honestly don't want to be pulling wheelies everything time input the throttle as I want to race this truck.
Proline White dish wheels with tires
Everything else I would like to leave stock.

I think that is pretty much it? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
skengines

OG RC 10T 05-02-2010 08:48 PM

Check your pm.

burgerchow 05-02-2010 08:58 PM

3 revo

I just got back into rc last month after 15 years also. I first purchased the revo 3.3 gas, but just didn't have time to keep the thing tuned, so I sold it and purchased the e-revo brushless 5608. What a fun truck. The thing handles great, and has monster speed even with the stock gearing and 4s.
As for what I've done, Traxxas aluminum tubes( red) ( stock toe snapped in 2 after I hit a wall in my first race), Proline crimefighters on white dish wheels, rpm arms, futaba 4pk system. ( currently my rig is not working, as I'm waiting for a new chassis. Nobody in my area carries a stock chassis, as it is rarely broken. Well, mine finally broke. Took a monster jump over the quad at our local track at full speed. Car travelled about 15 feet high and about 35 feet distance before landing straight on it's spine, snapping the bodymount right out of the chassis and taking a good part of the chassis with it. Sure was a lot of fun though.) This truck is great for bashing ( does wonders in a skateboard park) and just by changing the tires, will do pretty good at the track.
For batteries, I'm using venom 2s 5000mah 25c green hard packs. Running in a pair, I get about 25-30 minutes of run time while bashing, and had no problems in a 20 minute main. I've got 2 venom pro chargers, cause you need to use 2 batteries at once and it's a pain in the butt charging one after another. Some people say they've had problems with venom stuff in the past, but I guess the new stuff is a lot better, as I've had no problems at all. The chargers and the lipo batteries themselves come with all the adapters you'll ever need. You can run deans, traxxas, tamiya, receiver packs, etc.

Get one. You'll love it.

disclaimer.. My e-revo is only broken because of driver's stupidity. I don't think anyone else treats their toys as hard as I do.

skengines 05-02-2010 09:39 PM

Thanks for the reply buddy!

So with lipo it is still somewhat 'raceable'? I have been looking at a ton of videos of the e-revo with a lipo battery and it seem to pull wheels all day in when partially accelerating. I just want to car to be driveable.

Now as far as chargers go, what did you use for the power supply? I am looking for a dual charger with power supply built in. I just want to be able to plug the charger into an AC outlet and I'm golden.

Neu_Racer 05-02-2010 11:09 PM

I don't know the specs on those Futaba servos you're looking at but its much better to get a single high torque servo. Something like the DS1015 would be perfect. A little over 200oz of torque and great transit speed will be more than enough for racing.

I would get something other than the 3pm as well. I owned one and found it hard to use and not very comfortable. There are many options out there.
Venom lipos have really shown they are good which blows me away so if you are determined to buy something here in the states I would go with those. Otherwise I would go with HK Zippys or something.
DO NOT go with Nimh. Even the "good" ones don't hold their voltage as well as Lipos and the ripple current can fry your speedo. Plus everyone's running lipo. Don't you want to be like everyone else? :D

The Hyperion Duo is unbelievable. Does everything you could ever want and more. HK has a new 4 port charger now for $100 though if you want to charge 4 batteries at once! :eek:
Its easy to dial out power from the MMM to prevent nonstop wheelies. Can turn up the punch control or turn down the throttle sensitivity via the radio.
Definitely a great choice for a vehicle but if you plan on purely racing I would get something more track oriented like the RC8T, 8ight-T etc. But if you're bashing and racing definitely the Revo. ENJOY!

Merovan 05-03-2010 03:26 AM

Gonna keep an eye on this thread, looking to get get into r/c and not sure what to get. The e-revo looks like a strong contender

phisher 05-03-2010 05:20 AM

I love my E-Revo. I have owned a lot of vehicles over the years and this ranks at the top. The stock servos do a pretty good job already. The newest version of the E-Revo comes with a 2.4ghz system that greats pretty good reviews.

Neu_Racer 05-03-2010 07:36 AM

E Revos are amazing machines. They're tough, REALLY fast, and good at virtually everything. They are not the best basher out there and they're not the best racer but they do both pretty well.
OEM and aftermarket parts are all over the place so that helps too. Contrary to what many people *cough* CaseyDDR *cough* say, they are really easy to work on, and each piece was carefully thought out to work with the other. Unlike the Maxx trucks where it seems the engineers just through add ons wherever needed.

Definitely go with this truck, its a blast!

skengines 05-03-2010 06:16 PM

Neu_racer- Thank you very much! You have made my decision that much easier for me!

So Hyperion Duo it is and Venom lipo batteries.

I usually buy my own radio, but I've learned a big lesson in the past buying expensive radio systems, so I just want something for weekend use only. If there is another radio you can suggest, please let me know!

Thanks guys!

Neu_Racer 05-03-2010 06:25 PM

You are welcome. Glad I could help.
As for radios, if you are only bashing and don't care really I would stick with the one that it comes with. If you want something a little better a used spektrum DX2.0 or 3.0 can be had w/ receiver for about $80 if you look right. Or the MX Sport from Airtronics NIB is around $100.

HAVE FUN!

KillaB 05-03-2010 06:43 PM

check out hobbyking for lipos can't beat the price. I have 2 2s 1 3s and a 4s.

Duster_360 05-03-2010 06:51 PM

Hyperion is coming out with a new Duo - the SuperDuo3 - it'll have more output power and some new features, but it will also drive prices down on the current Duo 3 thats the current model if you can find one.

New models supposed to be out middle of this month.

Neu_Racer 05-03-2010 08:33 PM

Or get this one and do 4 at once!!! :eek:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11170

skengines 05-04-2010 09:26 AM

How is the Venom Charger? I will get (2) of them and they are online for about 110.00 shipped brand new.

Duster_360 05-04-2010 09:38 AM

You can get pretty much same charger with same features for about half the price -

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

The Thunder AC-6 and Venom charger are both 50watt chargers. HobbyPartz's Skycharger is also about half price and has all the features.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/skychb6chdup.html

Both of these are available in the US, there are more options if you want to shop chargers at HobbyCity in HongKong (and pay the int'l S&H).