Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2wd Slash differential issue >

2wd Slash differential issue

2wd Slash differential issue

Old 05-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

im also running big bores with AE 45 wt oil in them was almost touching the ground with lowering straps i made, now im sitting 3 inches high agian, bout to put 1/8 wheels on it. back to the point, you may need to rebuild the shocks and make sure the diaphrams are in correctly some people have been having problems with those also make sure theres no holes and the O-rings are good in them. if your still having problems adjust your camber/toes i had a real problem with figuring out the best setups for which situation i was in....after a month ive got it down. but replace the spur and check that if theres still binding then i couldnt tell you whats wrong. is the bearing on the slipper cluster on right? not the one in the spur the one with a collar on the shaft?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Just as a reminder, everything worked really good up until I made a few jumps with it. Everything is good with bearings/slipper, etc. but I'll recheck. I agree, it took awhile to setup the shocks, O rings, but now they're good to go. No problem w/camber,toe. Mine also sits about 3" high(measured from the lower A arm in the rear.) Now that I think about it, had a problem similar to this w/VXL Pede; Ended up rebuilding entire tranny. My Slash is running around w/86t spur and 22pinion. I'm thinking of changing it to 90t spur (since I have an extra.) Any reccomendations pinion size w/90t? My practice track is kind of rough. I wonder if i got some little pebbles or some other kind of crap inside shafts to casue binding? Guess I'm going to have to take it all apart- Good thing I'm retired and I have a bit of time! I have another one w/MMPro 4600 and it's still "virgin."-I want to fix this one before I break out the Mamba and I'm just using the VXL because it's fun! (not to say the MMPro 4600 isn't.)
Old 05-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

idk about that low gearing....im at 24/50....switching to 20/50 on 54 with my new setup
Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

...but you have 4wd right? I just got off the phone w/Brian at Traxxas and he seems to think it's the spur gear or maybe something is in the axle shafts ie:dirt, pebbles, some kinda crap. Also, FYI he suggested for the 2wd to go w/22/90. I'm gonna check it out! I can tell you this for sure, this 2wd eats 86t spurs. Maybe it has to do something w/having RRP pinions and TRX spurs? Thanks!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Time to celebrate, Problem is cured! The official diagnosis was there were some pebbles and crap wedged in the axle shafts not allowing both rear tires to turn, and the spur gear was DONE. Dissasemble rear ie:tires, tie rod, carrier bearings,remove shaft and clean. Removed spur gear and replaced w/90t (86t was toast.) Reassemble and adj. slipper clutch, reinstall batt.;time to rock and roll! Thanks for all the help!