Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VE8, your thoughts on my new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default VE8, your thoughts on my new purchase

Well i posted on here a few weeks ago asking what 1/8th scale to buy and this is what I ended up getting.

Hot Bodies VE-8 *NO RESERVE AUCTION*

This buggy is AWESOME! I have ran it a total of 6 races, in great shape with minimal wear shown! It is cleaned after EVERY use and all fluids were just changed. Buggy will come with the Tekin

1900kv sensored motor and RX8 speed control, this thing is FAST!! The buggy is equipped with lightened hubs on all 4 corners, will come with a set of AKA mounted city blocks with about 75%

tread left, will also include a LARGE spare parts assortment as well. (please see pics) just about everything you could ever need ($200 in spare parts) A practice body in fair shape is also included...

What you will need:

Your choice of radio and receiver, and a steering servo. Yes that's it!

I was wondering what you guys recommend for a servo. Is there anything else I might not be aware of? Any other tips on this purchase? Did I get the right thing? Can I run 2 2s batteries with and adapter or is it better to get some 4s packs?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Get 4S packs. Make sure they will fit before you buy the battery tray on that car is smallish. Read the whole thread on those cars here. From what I have seen (I've not driven one) they seem very fast, seem to handle very well and they break a lot.

Every race I have been to where someone was racing one, they have snapped the chassis in half. I believe there are aftermarket chassis coming that address this and some aftermarket parts available now to help.

I'm still a fan of the old airtronics 94359 (I think) servos. Fast, strong, analog, simple. Other than that the new Hitec ti geared servos get high praise. I have one in my 2wd SC truck which is way overkill, but it was in my box so I used it.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by chiro972
Get 4S packs. Make sure they will fit before you buy the battery tray on that car is smallish. Read the whole thread on those cars here. From what I have seen (I've not driven one) they seem very fast, seem to handle very well and they break a lot.

Every race I have been to where someone was racing one, they have snapped the chassis in half. I believe there are aftermarket chassis coming that address this and some aftermarket parts available now to help.

I'm still a fan of the old airtronics 94359 (I think) servos. Fast, strong, analog, simple. Other than that the new Hitec ti geared servos get high praise. I have one in my 2wd SC truck which is way overkill, but it was in my box so I used it.
Running 2x2s packs is not an option??? Whats the difference?

I asked this guy about the chassis issue and he claims he never had problems. He said he broke a few skid plates though. I though HB was coming out with a new stronger chassis. I wonder if I would be able to get that replacement.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

You can run 2x 2S packs as long as the dimensions fit the battery tray, but I don't see why you would want to. Unless you already have a bunch of 2S packs you want to use? They have to be matched in size, rating, age, etc. Any time you add extra connectors and wire that's extra resistance, so I'd go for 4S.

That said, both my buggy and truggy run a 2x 2S saddle configuration and I have been very happy with the setups.

I have heard of people breaking the skids on those, but search around, there's probably some tips and fixes to remedy that.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by simplechamp
You can run 2x 2S packs as long as the dimensions fit the battery tray, but I don't see why you would want to. Unless you already have a bunch of 2S packs you want to use? They have to be matched in size, rating, age, etc. Any time you add extra connectors and wire that's extra resistance, so I'd go for 4S.

That said, both my buggy and truggy run a 2x 2S saddle configuration and I have been very happy with the setups.

I have heard of people breaking the skids on those, but search around, there's probably some tips and fixes to remedy that.
Ya I have 4x 2s packs I run in my SC10. I bought them both at the same time. I see there are decent 4s options so I guess Ill be looking to pick up a few 4s packs too.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I saw this one on Ebay. After lots of research and reading I recently bought one too.

Here is the Official HB Ve8 thread. Use the search and you'll find answers to your questions. Here are my quick thoughts:
  • The aluminum skids won't break.
  • The chassis cracks in 2 places on rough tracks or over big jumps. There is an updated chassis available from HB soon. It's included in the new kits.
  • Only some batteries fit (3S, 4S, 5S, 6S, 2x2S, 2x3S). Choose wisely.
  • Get the one-piece diff/motor mount to avoid stripped gears.
  • Vent your body with the Tekin System on 4S.
  • Use EPA on your radio at first...1900 on a good 4S is pretty potent.
  • If your track is outdoor, has big jumps, or is really rough you'll benefit from the 112mm rear tower and the HB long shocks.
  • The aluminum hubs all around are great. Avoid lightened outdrives because they split and/or wear really fast.

This is just the major stuff that I've picked up going through the Ve8 Thread. You won't be disappointed. All rides have their own little issues and you're 200 ahead of buying brand new.

I like Hitec for reliability. I use the HS-7955TG @6V in 2 truggies and 2 buggies and they're all flawless.

Pairing packs isn't the best way to go but it works well as long as your packs are exactly the same. Always balance them while paired.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djtroy
Well i posted on here a few weeks ago asking what 1/8th scale to buy and this is what I ended up getting.

Hot Bodies VE-8 *NO RESERVE AUCTION*

This buggy is AWESOME! I have ran it a total of 6 races, in great shape with minimal wear shown! It is cleaned after EVERY use and all fluids were just changed. Buggy will come with the Tekin

1900kv sensored motor and RX8 speed control, this thing is FAST!! The buggy is equipped with lightened hubs on all 4 corners, will come with a set of AKA mounted city blocks with about 75%

tread left, will also include a LARGE spare parts assortment as well. (please see pics) just about everything you could ever need ($200 in spare parts) A practice body in fair shape is also included...

What you will need:

Your choice of radio and receiver, and a steering servo. Yes that's it!

I was wondering what you guys recommend for a servo. Is there anything else I might not be aware of? Any other tips on this purchase? Did I get the right thing? Can I run 2 2s batteries with and adapter or is it better to get some 4s packs?
It's a great buggy for sure. Make sure you use the alumin skid plates as this will strengthen the weak points of the chassis. I have yet to crack the chassis. I raced it a few tims and ran it for a long practice session at Revelations (big jumps) and no breaks. The Hitec HS-7955TG is almost a standard for 1/8th scale from what I read. Go 4S if you can, at 140mm length or less.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You made an awesome choice. Get either the updated chassis from HB or get the HHH chassis which should be released next week or so. Its awesome I will be getting 1 of them. I wouldnt if we havent found the stock chassis to be stronger with the alum skids. I like the plastic ones. If HH's chassis gets backed up I will be trying the updated stock chassis with the plastic skids for sure.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

Originally Posted by malik
You made an awesome choice. Get either the updated chassis from HB or get the HHH chassis which should be released next week or so. Its awesome I will be getting 1 of them. I wouldnt if we havent found the stock chassis to be stronger with the alum skids. I like the plastic ones. If HH's chassis gets backed up I will be trying the updated stock chassis with the plastic skids for sure.
I replaced my chassis a couple weekd ago. Its not one of the updated ones, but it hasnt cracked yet, and I have been making some pretty bonehead mistakes lately when driving. Thinking the heat is starting to make the chassis a little more flexiable.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The guy that said he has seen a chassis snap at eevery race is crazy. I've a couple skids snap and thats it. The chassis will crack at the battery tray and will allow the chassis to flex and crack the other side. After a while the chassis will start to bow up from flexing only in one direction. I ran mine for three race weekends while it was cracked before I changed it, but it never broke. It did flex enough once to pop the front center dogbone out.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

You guys are amazing, im glad to have such great support on here. makes owning these things a bit less worrisome.

I have to get a servo and radio. Do I need a radio that can run the mechanical brake? I also have an sc10 but its on a cheap Spektrum entry level radio that can only control one car. I guess I could sell that one and upgrade to a multi memory radio.

Last edited by djtroy; 05-01-2010 at 02:22 PM.