Wiki Posts
Search

Short Course Racing Etiquette.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (99%+)
Default Short Course Racing Etiquette.

Why is there no etiquette when it comes to short course racing? If we were to see this in on-road racing it would be toe to toe after the race. It takes the fun out of racing.This is what I see going on:
Cutting the track, pit maneuver, Straight up bashing, no stop and goes I am sure I am missing a few things. I also see role models in the industry encouraging this behavior. Someone must be feeling my frustrations.

LMK what you think. Thanks Scott
Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

same thing goes on at my track. people reply, Its just short course dude, calm down! It really pi$$es me off when people think that SC is not just as important as other classes
Old 04-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Very well put...I agree. I guess it's the fact that SC trucks don't have open wheels, so it's like racing an F1 car against a NASCAR. The NASCAR is slower around a road course, but will win if it keeps bumping an F1 around...

That's why controlled practice is the way to go, i.e, 2WD/4WD buggies, Stadium Trucks, SC Trucks, 1/8, et al.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hear ya & feel your pain.... Its bad when even the Host track is promoting bashing...If I wanted to bash i would do it in my yard... Thats why they call it a "Short Course Race" not a Short Course Bashing Race. Thats why we pay good money to have our trucks timed & our laps counted.

Im Lucky for the tracks that i run at Encourge Racing & not Bashing...& there is a difference between rubbing & taking someone out...
Old 04-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

LOL....YOU GUYS ALL SOUND LIKE HOOOOOOMMMMOOOOSSSSSS!!!

IF YOU GUYS DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS IS YET THAN YOU SHOULD SELL THEM REALLY CHEAP TO SOMEONE THAT DOES
Old 04-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Tech Adept

http://www.vimeo.com/7188705
Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the whole point of SC was that it was supposed to be MORE FUN and LESS SERIOUS.

Surely someone pulling a stunt like using the pit lane must be exactly the kind of stuff that spices up a race...

I've seen plenty of "fun" races at big meetings, with top drivers in them, and every time this was exactly the spirit: cut the track, go big on the jumps, take each other out etc...
Old 04-29-2010, 02:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

This is the reason I got OUT of shortcourse racing... I used to run SC as a third or fourth class just to "relax".

It really helped remind me what the hobby was supposed to be about... FUN!

People started to take it too seriously though... Half of the appeal to these things when they came out was that you could bash and bang to your hearts content and the trucks would take it with a smile.

Some of the most fun I've had in this hobby was when my buddies and I started running Velineon systems in our Slashes... Our lap times went down the toilet! But DANG!! were we having fun bashing on each other!! I mean straight PUNTING each other if we could! No "accidental" about it... If our truck broke we'd run off the stand and start chasing our buddies trucks around the track on FOOT! Just really good times.... I miss them for sure.

Look at the big boys... The real deal. They don't play nice. I have yet to see even ONE of those trucks come off the track with ALL the body panels intact.

The fact of the matter is a Short Course truck is NOT a good racer! Sure... They are FUN to "race"... But they aren't particularly good at it. They handle like butt, fly weird in the air, don't brake worth a darn... On and on and on.

If you want to "RACE" go to the more "prestegious" classes.... Mod 2 Wheel Truck, Mod 4 Wheel Buggy, Mod 2 Wheel Buggy.

Otherwise... Leave the SC class what it was supposed to be... A fun class with a good bit of rubbin' and bangin' fenders.

This is obviously just my two cents.. And I'm not bashing anybody by any means at all.. I just truly don't think the SC class was ever meant to be taken as seriously as the "open wheel" classes.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the whole point of SC was that it was supposed to be MORE FUN and LESS SERIOUS.

Surely someone pulling a stunt like using the pit lane must be exactly the kind of stuff that spices up a race...

I've seen plenty of "fun" races at big meetings, with top drivers in them, and every time this was exactly the spirit: cut the track, go big on the jumps, take each other out etc...
100% RIGHT ! People cant stand that SC is growing faster than stronger than anything else, it's bringing new faces to the hobby and to tracks around America.It has to do with people resisting change, fear of something new. If it makes those (who hate short course ) feel better ,we'll just call them ''1/8 trucks'' now can they please stop crying and return to the drivers stand?
Old 04-29-2010, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Sc racing is fun but driving down the straight and blowing a corner just to take me out is annoying sorry. I understand a little bumping but don't just ram me because you have no other way around that's not acceptable. At my track most times the only people who drive this way are the guys in last or next to it...normally the top 3-4 out of 10 drive as if it were any other class competitive but not crazy.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroLuver
Sc racing is fun but driving down the straight and blowing a corner just to take me out is annoying sorry. I understand a little bumping but don't just ram me because you have no other way around that's not acceptable. At my track most times the only people who drive this way are the guys in last or next to it...normally the top 3-4 out of 10 drive as if it were any other class competitive but not crazy.
I dont think anyone who runs SC AND is a seasoned racer would act that way.New people are getting into the hobby because of SC and may not know the proper way to run. I see at the place were I race guys rent a slash and want to play demolition derby with everybody else. You just have to educate them and tell them or perhaps teach them how to run respectfully .
Old 04-29-2010, 02:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidR
This is the reason I got OUT of shortcourse racing... I used to run SC as a third or fourth class just to "relax".

It really helped remind me what the hobby was supposed to be about... FUN!

People started to take it too seriously though... Half of the appeal to these things when they came out was that you could bash and bang to your hearts content and the trucks would take it with a smile.

Some of the most fun I've had in this hobby was when my buddies and I started running Velineon systems in our Slashes... Our lap times went down the toilet! But DANG!! were we having fun bashing on each other!! I mean straight PUNTING each other if we could! No "accidental" about it... If our truck broke we'd run off the stand and start chasing our buddies trucks around the track on FOOT! Just really good times.... I miss them for sure.

Look at the big boys... The real deal. They don't play nice. I have yet to see even ONE of those trucks come off the track with ALL the body panels intact.

The fact of the matter is a Short Course truck is NOT a good racer! Sure... They are FUN to "race"... But they aren't particularly good at it. They handle like butt, fly weird in the air, don't brake worth a darn... On and on and on.

If you want to "RACE" go to the more "prestegious" classes.... Mod 2 Wheel Truck, Mod 4 Wheel Buggy, Mod 2 Wheel Buggy.

Otherwise... Leave the SC class what it was supposed to be... A fun class with a good bit of rubbin' and bangin' fenders.

This is obviously just my two cents.. And I'm not bashing anybody by any means at all.. I just truly don't think the SC class was ever meant to be taken as seriously as the "open wheel" classes.
Absolutely spot on. This should be written into the rules of Short Course.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by peter george
I dont think anyone who runs SC AND is a seasoned racer would act that way.New people are getting into the hobby because of SC and may not know the proper way to run. I see at the place were I race guys rent a slash and want to play demolition derby with everybody else. You just have to educate them and tell them or perhaps teach them how to run respectfully .
in most cases yes but I had a seasoned driver who essentially whipped my A@@ screw me out of second because I was battling with a friend I actually bobbled and he passed me for second then I was racing and went for a pass and knocked him hard so I waited and when he started back I did 2 and we are going mind you first is coming up on our rear on the last lap with no one battling him and he blasts me out of the way flipping me over instead of letting us battle to the finish line(the guy is a seasoned driver and has done very well at my local track)
Old 04-29-2010, 03:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm all for rubbing and giving one another a little shuv, that's just part of racing SC and part of what makes SC fun, when I'm running 4wd mod I'm pretty focused on what I'm doing and the traffic around me, could be the fact that I care a lot more about my buggy than my SC truck since it's pretty easy to mess it up in comparison.

It does get annoying when your actually racing with a group of people and there's the one guy who's jumping pipes and driving through everyone just cause he thinks it's fun. That's not racing and to me that's not really "fun"

SC is also a different type of racing because you don't have the concerns of being open wheeled so you can have a fair amount of contact and still keep in the race. My only gripe is the guy with the truck jumping pipes or just driving through everything in site down the straights cause that's the only place he can actually drive his truck with that 5700kv motor.

SC is what got me back into the hobby after like 15 years of being away, I really enjoy running a serious race and then a fun race. Some people do take rc a little too serious IMO though. If you wanna get that crazy about it go build a real race car.

I do go to the track to RACE though, not see how many parts I can break in a night.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I sorta hate short couse because of the bashing, but then again its better then no racing, I've been running it for the past month when my buggy has been waiting for parts with a borrowed truck, of course I got one for so cheap I couldn't refuse, about $100 with a couple really expensive upgrades (big bores, mip cvds, 7965mg servo etc) so I still may end up selling it, but it still has made me a better driver. I'm not a fan of the bumping, but at our track its well regulated, when we had our big race local there was a sc driver only meeting talking about the bumping, I wasn't there but it sure made the racing better. Of course there is a fiew times you need to do a bit of bumping, the only time I remeber I did was a 3 way battle for 2-4, I was in 3rd on the inside of the 2nd placer going into our first turn which is a hairpin, I was watching to make sure I didn't hit the inside and he gave me half a truck width of room, nartually he got punted so I could make the turn as my front wheel was at his door, but any other bumping isn't necessary. At least at my track it isn't bad, but when it happens to me I'm generally not happy about, I may just sell m truck once my buggy is back together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.