R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   SC10 v Blitz v slash......? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/393433-sc10-v-blitz-v-slash.html)

ssgrpa 04-28-2010 01:32 AM

SC10 v Blitz v slash......?

im looking at buying one of these just not sure which one. what are all of your opions on each of these ?

Dgee 04-28-2010 02:42 AM

It really depends on what you want to do with it... Are you looking to build a rig to race or are you looking for something to just play around with?

If you want something to mess around with and bash I'd say go with the Slash since it's the toughest truck out there hands down. It's actually quite amazing the abuse they can take and not break.

If you want a truck to race with then I'd say it's a toss up between the sc10 and the Kyosho Ultima SC with the blitz picking up the rear of the two.

I'm sure I'll get some heat from the Blitz guys but thats how it seems to play out at our track and most every other track out there.

The Slash is fun but not much of a racer compared to any of the above.

JMYBFFT 04-28-2010 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dgee (Post 7330773)

The Slash is fun but not much of a racer compared to any of the above.

If you are going to stay in spec SCT then the Slash will race just fine. It begins to show its limitations once you begin modding it. I have kept my Slash for spec SCT and I won the A-Main the last time I raced it. This was with both Blitzs and SC10s in the field with guys that have a clue driving.

If you think you are going to race in mod SCT, either right away or eventually I would go with the SC10, Blitz or USC. All of these are capable race trucks. I would personally base it on which truck has the best local parts support.

Dgee 04-28-2010 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by JMYBFFT (Post 7331719)
If you are going to stay in spec SCT then the Slash will race just fine. It begins to show its limitations once you begin modding it. I have kept my Slash for spec SCT and I won the A-Main the last time I raced it. This was with both Blitzs and SC10s in the field with guys that have a clue driving.

If you think you are going to race in mod SCT, either right away or eventually I would go with the SC10, Blitz or USC. All of these are capable race trucks. I would personally base it on which truck has the best local parts support.

I can agree with that somewhat, we have a couple guys that normally dominate 4wd mod buggy that race expert stock and they can drive the slash with the best. I guess a better way to put it is that IF you are an excellent driver the slash can compete but for the average club racer you'll have a much better chance in that class with a sc10 or a Kyosho.

IMO they are more nimble and forgiving box stock and modified.

Also I can agree with purchasing something that your track stocks a fair amount of parts for. There's nothing worse than going somewhere to race and breaking a $2 part and the track not having it and your race day being cut short. Most tracks stock a fair amount of Associated and Traxxas parts. Not all tracks carry Kyosho parts.

Also the new sc10 that comes with the 2.4 is an awesome deal if you don't already have a radio.

flat6 04-28-2010 12:43 PM

For performance the best driver with the best setup will always win. Consistency is key. All trucks listed are capable of beating the others. The differences are very minimal on the track so it boils down to driving.

Now for my thoughts. Slash is a great truck, extremely tough, a bit bulky compared to the others(not saying that negatively). I've yet to own an sc10 but its a good racer when dialed properly but fragile as a basher. I just bought a blitz a couple weeks ago. The design imo is fantastic. Very easy to work on, lots of tuning options. Overall a smart well thought out design. All have their weaknesses in stock form for example the stock blitz servo is garbage and overall I think the slash comes with the best esc and motor stock.

These opinions are from my personal experience of owning/racing.

To the guy above who said a blitz can't compete on the track with the others... Just foolish. Its all about the driver/setup, because honestly none of the trucks are junk.

Dgee 04-28-2010 02:20 PM

I never said the Blitz cant compete, I did say that the slash has a hard time competing with the sc10, Ultima or the Blitz. I've seen plenty of expert stock drivers switch from the Slash to a sc10 or an Ultima and be much faster and they're responses are all the same. They are just better driving trucks than the Slash.

I've raced spec and mod with my sc10, but overall I still prefer to race my b44 so what the hell do I know... :D

Everyone knows that racing is all about the driver first and then the setup. There's no secret there.

IN MY OPINION, I think for someone just getting into short course to race with intermediate / novice driving skills the better choice is a sc10 or an Ultima and then the Blitz.

My biggest gripe about the Blitz is the steering, you have to swap out the steering to get it to turn as good as a sc10 or Kyosho. I've driven a few friends Blitz with and without the steering changes, they aren't a bad truck by any means, I just prefer the way a sc10 or a Kyosho drives.

If you want to start a pissing match just look at the podium at any major race...

Stefan Millay 04-28-2010 02:22 PM

SC10 straight up.

tedstryker 04-28-2010 02:40 PM

SC10 HANDS DOWN...
Blitz...

forget about the slash for competitive racing....

blade329 04-28-2010 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by ssgrpa (Post 7330609)
im looking at buying one of these just not sure which one. what are all of your opions on each of these ?

For Spec/RTR racing the Slash is great. It's forgiving and easy to drive. It's lack of tuning options will dismay a seasoned racer, but it's still a very viable racer. If you are going to go mod/open then the Blitz and SC10 will better suit your needs.

Anyone who says you can't compete with a Slash is dead wrong, and probably themselves lousy drivers.

Crawler 04-28-2010 03:42 PM

I prefer the SC10.

YDBD 04-28-2010 04:08 PM

Slash for bashing and racing. No problems. Read the latest review in Xtreme on all available....no matter what anyone says the Slash doesn't show up last in any test so why wouldn't it be a good racer?

The SC10 is apparently the hardest to drive and you must know setup.

The Blitz is very good except tires and steering

The Ultima is good, some ESC and axle problems

The Strike...uh the strike...hello? Bueller?

The Slash is good, beaten down by the anti traxxas, anti RTR guys, but competitive in spec.

noz189 04-28-2010 06:02 PM

slash

i race and its awsome

Gyr0 04-28-2010 06:33 PM

All three of them are great trucks and great for racing. Maybe not the slash so much as the others, but I still love my slash:blush:. The blitz and the sc10are both a close pick. Have lots of tuning options right out the box and are both a lot better thought out design. There's a lot of pros and cons for each and you'll probably be happy with either.

Having all three SCT I choose the blitz. Right out the box it handled a lot better, very easy to get to the tranny and diff to clean out and do some maintenance on. And I liked the threaded shocks, plastic but hey they work just fine:D

trx-1racer 04-28-2010 06:46 PM

SC10's are far and away the most "brittle" of the bunch. But very fast when set up and the "team" parts are installed...

The Kyosho is the best out of the box, but everyone fast is throwing money at them as well, shocks-diff etc.

The Blitz is the most durable and can easily be tuned with parts that are included but if you want race style shocks, its pricey as well.

All 3 can and do win in mod SCT. :ha:

The Slash belongs in spec class and its good at it...

slapaho16 04-28-2010 06:58 PM

ive owned a stock slash and my sc10 mind you my sc10 is full factory team and cost me over 500 to build the roller before the ft was avail anyway the slash was a fun truck to play with in the street but seemed to lack on the track due to lack of power and weight it wouldent clear most jumps at the track my sc10 is setup full race tekin rs pro with 10.5 brushless and all the goodies it took me a while to perfect the setup but a few dollars and about 15 ounces of lead later the truck is planted and completly dialed imo for racing sc10 hands down