R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-23-2002, 08:04 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default ? on 1/8 buggies

? on 1/8 buggies
i am thinking of getting a 1/8 scale buggy and i have no clue of what is good or just ok. but i am looking for the best all around kit. i have done some looking and i am woundering on these. ofna hyper 7 pro, mbx-4 xr , or mp.7.5 or should i wait and get the new ofna hyper 9.5 ??? like i said i am just getting into the offroad nitro. but i have a RB Concept C4
engine and the 1peice pipe 086. to go with what i get though.. thanks for your help.

forgot to add: i will be running on various tracks from choppy to groomed and packed tracks ...
carpet_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 07:15 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Let me give you the downsides to all the buggies that you listed.

The Ofna needs new front knuckles right off the bat, and they are not cheap.

The Mugen will strip diffs if not closely maintained.

The Kyosho doesn't give you much bang for the buck, and parts aren't cheap either.

The only car I don't know much about is the 9.5.

Of all of these cars, I personally feel that the Mugen is the best buy. It is well built, and you can replace the diff gears with Thunder Tiger parts if you don't want to do all the maintenance.

I feel that the Kyosho is the best pure racing car available, but it is really pricy to get the Kanai version, and hopping up the regular version is expensive.

I don't have anything positive to say about Ofna vehicles(I used to drive them, and I hated them), so maybe someone else can help you out there.
Matthew Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 11:57 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Cool

carpet_killa

You should check into the GS Racing Storm Pro. I got it as my first 1/8th scale buggy, and couldn't be happier. The only upgrades I have are Dynamite front knuckles and aluminum center diff mount, but those aren't really necessary. give it a look, I think you'll like it.
charles de_mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 02:49 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to nova7.5

WELL PUT MATTHEW BAILEY!YOU HIT THE NAILS ON THE HEAD!I PERSONALLY HAVEN'T HEARD OF THE DIFF PROBLEMS,EVERYONE HERE WAS BLOWING OUT REAR SHOCKS.THE KANAI IS THE BEST CAR BUT NOT THE BEST VALUE(OR BANG FOR THE BUCK!!)EVEN AFTER YOU BUILD THE STOCK KANAI YOU STILL NEED A COUPLE OF THINGS TO HAVE IT 100%.YOU ARE BEST OFF TO GET THE MUGEN XR WORKS FOR $500 OR THE REGULAR KYOSHO MP 7.5 FOR $450.YOU CAN'T LOSE EITHER WAY!AND BY THE WAY,IT IS A FACT THAT THE INFERNO/KANAI HANDLE BUMPY TRACKS AND JUMPS BETTER THAN ANY CAR OUT THERE!
nova7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 01:49 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

The shock problem is easily fixable. I just put 4 mm of fuel tubing on the outside of the shaft. The problem is that the Mugen shockshafts are too long. On a hard landing, the shaft is actually slamming into the top of the shock. The fuel tubing prevents this. The diff problems can be fixed by replacing the internal gears with EB-4 gears(steel instead of the Mugen Aluminum), or you can shim the regular diffs so that you get rid of some of the play. You just have to recheck them often, because as they wear, they will develop more play.
Old 04-06-2002, 03:47 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

the best deal out their is the kanai (hands down) that is why all the major races are won by that car. You can get one shipped over from Japan for around $490 I know I did this. the only thing that needs attention is the shock towers. And for replacement parts you can get them from tower and they are not that bad. I personally have only seen 3 times a kyosho broke and I have seen the rest of the cars break all the time the mugen just plain is a pain in the butt. the diffs suck and the pivot ball is to much work for a car that gets the crap beat out of it. The thunder tiger is also good but depending on the track you race at parts can be a pain to get. Ofna well I think that word in Japense means (crap) the G.S. car is very nice but not proven yet....

Just my 2 cents worth

Jesse
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 02:05 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

The GS Storm Pro seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Check out this website:

http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/car/gsra...mproindex.html

This'll probably be my next buggy.
Babblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 06:03 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Well, I figured I should through in a little more info on the subject. The MP7.5 will break and it will break in a couple of spots. THe number one part that I have seen break is the front upper turnbuckle. It needs to be replaced with Lunsford. The shock towers should be replaced with something aftermarket. Ths GS is a good car, but it has a nasty habit of breaking at the rear bulkhead.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:12 PM   #9
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default hyper 7 pro

I'm wondering does anybody know any companies that are making aftermarket performance parts for the hyper 7 pro?
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 10:30 AM   #10
Tech Master

Location: Time to put down the Golf clubs and poker chips and GO RACIN!
Send a message via AIM to Bigtbone
Default Try the Crono

you will not be disapointed..
Bigtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 07:43 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

I'm about to order a GS Storm RTR. I need to get my feet wet in the 1/8 area and this semed to be the best bet for it.
mental patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 01:59 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by mental patient
I'm about to order a GS Storm RTR. I need to get my feet wet in the 1/8 area and this semed to be the best bet for it.
That's a very good choice. The RTR comes with a decent radio system and the engine, though not race material, offers good power vs reliability. I've heard the stock RTR shock towers are kind of weak and can bend easily depending on how you crash. I recent bought the Pro version of this buggy and just love all of the included hop-ups. The only negative thing I ran into was some required handfitting during assembly.
Babblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 09:07 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've been running the 7.5 since it came out and I loved it. I recently switched to the Hyper 7 Pro, just to try something different. It handles just as good as the 7.5, maybe better. It has the stability of the 7.5, but more steering. As for the front knuckles, I bought extras because I heard they were weak, but am still running the ones that came with the kit. We have a jump at our track that puts the car 7-8 feet in the air, and I haven't had any durability issues to speak of. The 7.5 owners that have driven my car have been very impressed. OFNA has a rep. for building cheap cars, but the Hyper 7 isn't one of them.
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 08:35 PM   #14
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Hyper 7 owners

Hey im having trouble on mine geting the wheels on. It seems like the hubs are just a little big for the wheels. All the wheels will fit on the left rear hub but none of the others. Has anyone else had this problem?
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 07:39 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I had the same problem with my kit. Some of the hubs were machined wrong. Call OFNA and they'll send you new ones.
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote