R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-15-2002, 01:03 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

I would have to agree with babblfish on the shock towers, I bent mine in the first race day. But the dynamite towers are cheap and can be had for about $25 front and rear. This is my first 1/8 scale car and I am very happy with it. O yeah the stick pipe is deafing loud but it sure got everyone's attention at the track. I do not think that you would go wrong with the Storm as many companies are manufacturing aftermarket parts for it.
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 07:51 PM   #17
Tech Initiate

For those interested in the GS Storm - get the Pro version. It comes with most of the hop-ups like carbonfiber upper decks, stronger lower chassis, thick aluminum shock towers (4mm), universal shafts all around including front and rear diff drives, hard anodised shock bodies with teflon pistons, hardened wheel hubs, front/rear anti-sway bars, 4 brake discs, etc, etc. Here's a top view of it:

Last edited by Babblefish; 05-28-2002 at 02:08 PM.
Babblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 09:16 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

thats one awesome looking buggie.

i would love to get that. anyone have the price for the pro gs buggie?
nitro-pede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 02:15 PM   #19
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by nitro-pede
thats one awesome looking buggie.

i would love to get that. anyone have the price for the pro gs buggie?
The usual street price for the Pro is $429USD, but I got mine for a little under $400USD from my friendly LHS. Or you can check Horizon Hobby (www.horizonhobby.com).
Old 06-08-2002, 01:50 AM   #20

You know its funny..............I have a Mugen XR and I haven't had a single problem out of it!!! Diffs are just fine and I haven't broken a single part!!! All these buggy debates are pointless!!! All the buggies are the same...........its the DRIVER that makes the buggy, PERIOD!!! Get the one you like, build it, race it and be done!!!
slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 02:32 AM   #21
Tech Initiate

That's probably very true. You can ask 10 people which car is the best and you'll get 10 different answers. Everyone will tell you that the car they have is the best - mainly because they don't have any experience with any other. Some may bad mouth other cars because of something they read or something their friend's mother's co-worker's second cousin's dog told them. I know several people with different brands of buggys and they are all happy with them, so just buy whatever you can afford and can get parts for and have fun!
Old 06-13-2002, 04:07 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Babblefish
That's probably very true. You can ask 10 people which car is the best and you'll get 10 different answers. Everyone will tell you that the car they have is the best - mainly because they don't have any experience with any other. Some may bad mouth other cars because of something they read or something their friend's mother's co-worker's second cousin's dog told them. I know several people with different brands of buggys and they are all happy with them, so just buy whatever you can afford and can get parts for and have fun!
Quote:
Originally posted by slapper
..................All these buggy debates are pointless!!! All the buggies are the same...........its the DRIVER that makes the buggy, PERIOD!!! Get the one you like, build it, race it and be done!!!......
And that's exactly why I don't post on the buggy threads, especially the one on HPI's message board.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:09 AM   #23
Tech Elite

By the way fishman, that sticker is going to throw off the balance of your buggy.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 01:59 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by Sydewynder
By the way fishman, that sticker is going to throw off the balance of your buggy.
That's OK, I'll just put more paint on the other side of the body!
Old 07-03-2002, 06:20 AM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Mugen Player Send a message via Yahoo to Mugen Player

Wow, just got a Mugen XR works from Singapore for just Singapore $780.
Anyone interested? I will need to order parts from them in future.
Mugen Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:04 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

How much is that iin US dollars???
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 05:17 AM   #27
Tech Adept

I ran an MP7.5 for some time and found that it was a brilliant car. If you look closely you will see that the GS Storm and the new 9.5 are blatant copies of it.

I have just changed to the Mugen XR Works due to the backup I get with it, and so far it seems to be a much better handling car. It seems to turn in so much more quickly than the 7.5 and carry more speed through the corners. The 7.5 had a front Thorsen and the XR had at least as much steering coming out of the corners too. As for riding the bumps it seems a little better then the 7.5 (at least around our local track). I have had no problem with the diffs and have been told to build them with 3 shims, and then after a few meetings pull them apart and try to get the final one in. Apparently it works for the UK team drivers.

As for others, the Hyper 7 looks good and seems to handle well, the Crono RS01 seems to actually handle well over bumps (or the euros track could have been flat...), TTR EB4 isn't a bad car, but the parts do wear a lot, the GS Storm has some doubts about its strength, look how close the rear gearbox holes are to the edge of the chassis and the wing mounting points.
university_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 05:15 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The GS Storm car does have some good points like handling and some nice machined parts(pro version).I just sold mine however because of small problems with frying main spur gears repeatedly and having a pinion still looking like almost new.The car comes with steel spur but it seems soft when putting power thru it.Also I am not fond of how close the mounting screws are to the edge of the chassis.I have ripped screws off in the front arm mounting blocks many times.
On the lighter side I have beaten XR's and Kanai's alike with the Storm Pro when it is all working good.I only wish it would have kept working.
Old 09-03-2002, 03:41 AM   #29
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to uDi_NMT   l z

I personally drive an MP7.5, and chose it for obvious reasons, mainly build/parts quality, and design. But as everyone is saying, this is a never ending topic, so just get the buggy that you like best, and that you can get parts for easily.

My what-to-buy list in no specific order would be: Inferno MP7.5, Mugen XR, Ofna 9.5 Pro, hyper7 Pro, and GS Storm Pro. Like said earlier, they all have there got points, and issues, so pick one that you have good support for, and one thats' issues least affect you.

Good Luck, uDi.
uDi_NMT   l z is offline   Reply With Quote