Search

Need explanation on some suspension tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Need explanation on some suspension tuning

Thus far I've only adjusted alignment (camber, toe) and a few other things (anti-squat, droop), so I need help on understanding what some of the other adjustments do. Here are the ones I'm looking for enlightenment on:

1. Top arm holes on rear wheel hub. What do the upper vs. lower holes and inner vs. outter holes do? I have 4-holes in the rear hub.

2. Rear upper arm position on the shock tower. Again, upper/lower and inner/outter.

3. Upper and lower shock mounting positions. To me, it would seem that the more leaned the shock is, the "stiffer" it becomes as the force vector in the direction of the shock is smaller and I've done this on other vehicles and it seems to work that way, and the more vertical the shock, the "softer" it is. But I've read some confusing (and opposing) views on the web on these settings.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Man you answer would be a book. You need to get on LOSI and XRAY web sites for one and find the tuning sections explaining all of this. Your better off the find a winning setup for your vehicle and copy that for a start. So forum have a sticky tuning guide.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

here's some short answers but look for the Hudy set up guide online...or what ever your car is...

Originally Posted by JSR
Thus far I've only adjusted alignment (camber, toe) and a few other things (anti-squat, droop), so I need help on understanding what some of the other adjustments do. Here are the ones I'm looking for enlightenment on:

1. Top arm holes on rear wheel hub. What do the upper vs. lower holes and inner vs. outter holes do? I have 4-holes in the rear hub.

Changes role center of chassis for cornering.
2. Rear upper arm position on the shock tower. Again, upper/lower and inner/outter.

Also changes role center of chassis and allows more or less camber adj. with rod length.
3. Upper and lower shock mounting positions. To me, it would seem that the more leaned the shock is, the "stiffer" it becomes as the force vector in the direction of the shock is smaller and I've done this on other vehicles and it seems to work that way, and the more vertical the shock, the "softer" it is. But I've read some confusing (and opposing) views on the web on these settings.

Laying over shocks: More progressive compression (changes as arm moves to full jounce), light to hard, less droop available, good for bumpy and smooth tracks, small jumps, increases turnability

Vertical shocks: Linear compression (relies more on oil and spring set up), more droop available, good for smooth tracks with big jumps, lowers turnability

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Have a look here:
http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

It explains pretty much most of it. It might take a few reads to sink in, but is worth it.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks guys! Just what I needed.