R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-29-2004, 01:38 PM   #16
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to ZeroSystem Send a message via Yahoo to ZeroSystem

If anything theyre ahead with the fact that theyre the most recent car to have technology updates

All in all theres not really a superior, its all preference. As far as we should know a b4 is as capable of beating a xxxbk2 as a bk2 is just as capable of beating a b4.

Its all in the setup skills, never what people make it out to be
ZeroSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:34 AM   #17
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

With all the upgrades nowadays passed as advances in technology, I wonder what ones are really corrections to previous problems. Something that all manufacturers do.

so, what is the primary use for the buggies?
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:32 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

Whats your point again? Im lost.

If its what I think you mean, Im sorry... but adding more setup options to further make the car more adaptable to whatever it is whether its the driver's style or the track conditions, I see that as an advancement, not a solution to a problem. If you see that as a simple problem correction, then the FM radio was just a correction for the AM's lacking areas, it wasnt technology in progress, just a correction.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:00 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

the cars are probably just as good but it just looks like its older and isnt on the cutting edge because of the way its designed and the body but their are some other factors too.
immay get bk1 from my work to use and order some other cars too though its good to keep an open mind about these things
cencalballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:36 PM   #20
Tech Rookie

I wont say anymore on this past this post. I've kept an open mind. I shouldve said it's all too vague a term to use "technologically" advanced anyways.... too relative and depends on the persons definition of it. In my opinion, advancing technology is simply working on what exists to make things better, gradually or quickly. It doesnt take any marvels or huge ground breaking discoveries to have a "technologically" advanced car. It could be a small advance but its still one nonetheless.
Speaking of "not cutting edge" baller, how is the easiest and most simple chassis "behind this era"? The b4 is just as easy to tune and simple as the XXX and therefore I see no reason to cast down the xxx chassis simply because its not brand spankin new.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:56 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jamie Fredericks Send a message via MSN to Jamie Fredericks

as far as losi and associated goes, it is up to the driver. i have had a decked out B4 and i have a bk2 right now. i can honestly say the bk2 is better suited for my tastes. i have run both so i know. the b4 seems to be very twitchy and extremely sensitive. the losi seems to have a lot more corner speed where as the b4 seems to have better forward acceleration. both cars are good in the right hands. i am no pro and i will admitt that. it seems that the losi is a little less sensitive to the setup as well. it does not have to have a great setup to work. the losi seems to be more forgiving in the setup area. i must say the losi seems to be more durable as well. although it does have all the titanium turnbuckles and hingpins, this may be the reason that it seems more durable. when i had the b4, it liked to break ballstuds off in the bulkheads or pull them out. i dont know why this was the case, cause it wasnt from a hard wreck. just my .02
Jamie Fredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:04 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Back to the 2wd vs 4wd debate.

There's no question that 4wd is faster. With few exceptions, electric 4wd is the fastest car on the track, including 1/8 gas 4wd. (On really big long tracks, the 1/8 can be faster.) At most races, 4wd runs about 1 sec/lap faster than 2wd, stock or mod.

Some drivers think the 4wd car is slightly easier to drive than buggy. Because everything happens faster, I think they are equal. One thing is certain -- you do NOT drive 4wd identically to 2wd. They are different, and require different techniques.

4wd is more expensive to buy and, because of higher speed, breaks parts more easily. But you're going faster -- yess!!!!

4wd is not as popular as 2wd, which has good and bad points. There aren't as many fast guys running to give you competition. You can't beat who's not running, but it's easier to win.

There are a number of new 4wd cars coming out from a number of different manufacturers, so I believe the Ford vs Chevy thing will reinvigorate the class. There's a new CAT, Jason Ruona's BJ 4X4 will be available sometime, the X - 5 conversion will be out in June, and I understand there's another all-new wheeler in the works.

Perhaps this will help with your decision.
YoungChazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:46 AM   #23
Tech Legend

I believe there is also the MAKO buggy, and of course the academy one which for the price is a serious consideration. Pretty much what I am getting back in reports is that you just get yourself some turnbuckles, ball bearings for the wheels, and you are set.

I figure I can get the Academy with turnbuckles and ball bearings for the wheels at a max price of about $240, and this an overally conservative estimate, would probably be even less.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:22 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

I drive 4wd all my life...honestly, 4wd is a lot easier to drive than 2wd but that could change as soon as I get like a B4 or XXX BK2 or something like that. It is however, heavier and harder to maintain cuz you have two gearboxes to maintain and not a lot of space to put everything else. For bashing, 4WD is the way to go. for racing, I think 2wd is the way to go because is cheaper.

If I have to do it all over again, i would still pick 4WD especially now since that every manufacturer out there found the cheaper way to make em also easier to maintain them nowadays especially the invention of shaft driven 4wd Touring Cars that sparked the 4wd Off road buggy all over again. Instead of designing a completely new chassis for a 4wd buggy, each company took their TC design and convert it to buggy without wasting money and designing time to create new gearboxes and/or new layout.

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 03:51 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

thanks for keeping it coming
im working prety hard at trying to start a track that would be open on major race weekends to keep the intrestc up around here and to make a little bit of money
who makes the mako buggy cause ive never heard of it
Old 05-09-2004, 04:51 PM   #26
Tech Legend

I believe its a european design. I saw pics of it, wasn't too fond of it compared to the academy but I believe it is still in the early stages.

Who knows, maybe associated will change there mind and have a 4wd AE vehicle?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:45 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice

i saw a conversion kit for one somewhere a while ago
dont remember the name of it though
Old 05-16-2004, 02:57 PM   #28
Tech Rookie

Unhappy

like racer_chick said the b4 is an awsome car! i started with a truck and switched to buggy,the buggy is so much better! it rides alot smoother and is so much easier to drive than a truck!
although i do look forward to the MF2!!!!!!!
MATT ROCKS!!!!!!!
racergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:19 AM   #29
Tech Legend

The funny thing is people say truck is easier to drive.

Personally, I think its just slower to drive. Its also harder on motors than a buggy with all that extra weight and rotating mass.

Just saw some news, the new BJ4x4 is going to be officially priced at $500, with a 10% discount for those on the pre-order list but they are saying you can still get on the list, so it will be about $450?

Maybe they should have just said the vehicle will cost $450. personally, $400 is where i think it should be even if it does have more aluminum and a oneway compared to the XXX-4 GP. I probably can price in the difference of getting the particular aluminum parts that are not on the XXX-4 but on the BJ4x4 and the oneway and come out alittle less on the XXX-4 ( subtracting the price of 1 diff or adding the cost of a BJ4x4 diff ). So to those guys on the fence between a XXX-4GP and the BJ4x4, they may swing to the Losi. At $400, or say $399.99 I think it would be better competition for the losi as its only $70 more but you can say you get parts that are aluminum and a front heavy duty one way ( if they also threw in a regular diff so you could switch if necessary, perfect! ).