Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need tips for building a diff in a B44

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Need tips for building a diff in a B44

I'm going to be rebuilding the diffs in my B44 and need tips and adjustment recommendations. Also same tips for a xxxt diff would be great got to get my off-road stuff ready for the summer.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RChead1
I'm going to be rebuilding the diffs in my B44 and need tips and adjustment recommendations. Also same tips for a xxxt diff would be great got to get my off-road stuff ready for the summer.
B-FAST R/C PERFORMANCE

Differential Break-In Procedure

1) Clean all parts and work area

2) Follow owner’s manual for assembly instructions

3) Lightly Coat Diff Balls with B-Fast Pro Diff lube, thoroughly lube Thrust Bearing with
B-Fast Pro Thrust grease. (or equivalent)

4) Snug diff screw just until gear will not turn while outdrives are held.

5) Hold one outdrive from spinning, a hex wrench that fits into the outdrive slot, clamped to your bench or in a vise works good.

6) Use a power drill or Dremel (the cone shaped cotton polishing tip works great) to spin the diff for about 20 seconds (HIGH rpm on drill, LOW on Dremel). Reverse rotation for another 20 seconds.

7) Tighten diff screw about 1/16 of a turn and repeat step 6

8) Repeat step 7 at least two more times.

Follow owner’s manual to set slipper

Slipper should slip BEFORE the diff

Do Not let the Diff Slip at anytime!!

The following was posted earlier in this thread. it is a response from B-Fast team driver Paul Sinclairto a question similar to yours.

" Diff setting is more of a 'feel' thing to me, so its a little hard to describe an exact 'tighten 1/2 turn more' or something like that. I guess the best thing I could say is, hold the spur gear and give one tire a light flick of the wrist; it should rotate nice and smooth about a full turn before stopping.

The critical thing is to get the diff and slipper to work together. I generally use the 'hold the rear tires and punch it" method of adjusting both: Get the car completely ready to go, turn the car and transmitter on, hold the rear wheels securely, and give the transmitter a quick burst of 100% throttle. You should hear a high-pitched whine as the front end lifts off your pit table; that's the slipper working. If the diff barks (kind of a screech sound), stop immediately and tighten it a 1/4 turn or so. One thing I've had to learn is not to be shy on the throttle for this test; if you just 'pull' the trigger instead of 100% ripping on it you won't learn anything, and it actually stresses the differential more. Besides listening, watch the front end of the car or truck as you do this. The higher it rises before stalling the tighter slipper setting you have.

I adjust the slipper to suit the track, and the diff to suit the slipper. If the track is slippery, I run a pretty loose slipper: the front wheels are barely pulled off the table, maybe a 1/4 inch or so. A loose slipper then lets me run a looser diff, which as you've noted picks up corner speed. As traction is higher, or you need more power to clear a jump section, tighten the slipper in 1/2 turn increments so the front end pulls higher in the air, but obviously you'll need to tighten the diff as you go. It becomes a trial and error thing; have a consistent method for doing all this each time before the car hits the track, and you'll quickly learn how the diff should feel for what slipper setting you want to run. Finally, on super-high bite tracks, you'll actually want to back the slipper off slightly to help prevent flip-over-backwards wheelies. Have a friend take the wrench out to the track while you practice or before a qualifier; loosen it in 1/4 turn intervals until the car is manageable (but of course can still clear all the jumps!)

Hope that helps, and its not too much info! Good luck to you, let us know if you have any other questions."

I just copied this from the B-Fast thread here on RcTech.

Fred

Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

I don't know have the manuals for eithor one of the cars. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

After every night of racing (3 races) I take apart the diff clean all the grease off, check the bearings and the gear, make sure I cleaned all the dirt and grease then relube generously and put back together and wipe off exsess grease. I also have a b44 and a b4
Old 04-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have the owners manual for the xxxt I can give you, because I dont need it anymore. You can get the owners manual for the b44 on RC10.COM

I like to have two different cups for each size of the diff balls then use a tooth pick with grease on the tip to pick up each ball.