Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updating the RC10B3 to BL, LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Updating the RC10B3 to BL, LiPo

New to the forum so a little history about myself and the car. I used to be an avid RC hobbyist since about 95' on (RC planes and buggies). My first car was a Traxxas TCP Buggy (same as the TRX-3 but with extra parts). After a few years of bashing I upgraded to the RC10B3 Team. I set it up with a JR XR2 Radio, Novak Duster II, Speed Gem Diamond, Trinity 2000mah NiCad, and hopped it up with blue titanium, alloy, and carbon bits. Unfortunately there wasn't many tracks near me and all my friends sold their cars so I lost interest shortly after. I then got more into RC planes and built up a Kadet Trainer and P51 and flew them for several years until I got busy with college and crappy jobs. Fast forward about 9 years and now I have a good job, house, wife, and I'm ready to resurrect some of my old hobbies (RC, biking, fishing, camping, and backpacking to name a few). Found out there is a really nice track (JRP) about 15 minutes from the house too!

After digging though my old closet at my parents house I found my B3 (+ the TCP!) and my tool box with all the accessories. I got the car out and charged up the old NiCads on my Novak Rhino Peak charger and to my surprised they held a charge. Ran for about 8-10 minutes which isn't too far off from what it ran back in the day. After reading a some info on this forum and others I found that everyone is now running BL motors, LiPo packs (300 gm and 5000 mAh!!). I don't plan on getting serious into racing, but would like to the car to have the potential to do some sport class races and such just for fun.

I keep seeing everyone mention Hobby King and Hobby Partz from china for their good prices and surprisingly good products. Let me know if there is something missing or should be added to the list. This looks good for under $200 + $30 shipping. Only bad thing is I might have to wait a while since the batteries and charger are out of stock.

HK365P100A
Brushless Car Power System 5200Kv/100A
(I gather this is an 100amp EZ-Run system with a 6.5t sensored motor?)
$109.95

T5200.2S.30
Turnigy 5200mAh 2S 30C Hard-Case Car Lipo Pack
$23.30 X 2

ACC6
Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories
$22.99

PS-6
12V 5A Power Supply
$9.99

LPGUARD18x22
Lithium Polymer Charge Pack 18x22cm Sack
$5.99

Last edited by GEARHEAD_ENG; 04-16-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Tech Initiate

bump
Old 04-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

I have only heard good things about that battery and I have that charger and power supply and it works great. I am not familiar with that ESC and motor so I can't comment except that seems like a lot of motor for a buggy. I am sure others will comment, but that is my take.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

by looks alone, the motor/esc combo look solid in comparison to name brand equipment. I have that same system on my wishlist w/ hobbyking but have not gotten around to getting it. i run the castle sidewinder and 5700 combo in my b4 and it is a lot of motor but it is manageable. i have not used those lipos but again, they are on my list to grab when i am able. i am not sure if the b3 transmission is the same as in my b4, but be careful with the diff gear, a brushless motor with that much stink can and will rip the guts out of the diff gear if you do not have it adjusted properly. the AE gt diff gear may work and that is aluminum. i turned my diff gear into ring toss material with the castle and upgraded to a metal one. other than that, be prepared to have your definition of runtime and speed altered...

ben
Old 04-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replies everyone. That gives me some ideas on where I should look to. The only bl combo that HK has is the 5200Kv/100A. I might go with the 60A EZrun ESC and the EZRUN 8.5T/4000KV Sensorless and grab the programming card for a total of $89.00.

Might be a little easier on the gears and not tear things up as bad. Looking forward to some long run times and a little more speed.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

FYI

B3 is still being made by Thunder Tiger (they own AE now IF you didn't know) it's called Phoenix the BX II is brushed and the XB is brushless.

They also are still making the T3 and GT!!!!!

Haven't looked that the XB manual to see what diff upgrades they did IF any!

Here is a link to the XB

http://www.tiger.com.tw/product/6572-F.html

USA main dealer
http://www.acehobby.com/ace/index.htm
Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You don't need to upgrade anything i've run a 3 turn in mine and never broken anything.
Low height lipos, like Zippy 4000mah or Turnigy 5000mah will fit straight in, higher ones like that Turnigy 5200mah should fit if you file off a bit of the rear shock tower where the battery strap goes through.

That Hobbyking ESC isn't Hobbywing it's made by ZTW. I think you will have trouble fitting that under the standard body.

The good thing about the EZrun is that the footprint is so small you can put it on its side and it'll fit under any body. Fits in my B3 fine on its side.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Tech Initiate

tmail55: thats awesome they are still making the B3 & T3, that means I should be able to get parts for a while yet.

Bugle: I've been following a few of your treads on the B34 project, you do some good work. Let me know if you need anything CNC'ed. Good to know it'll hold up to a pretty strong motor. Thanks for pointing out that the HK combo isn't a hobbywing system. I think I'll go with the EZrun ESC 60A / 8.5T 4000kV motor combo over at Hobbypartz for $97. Should be sufficient for my use.