Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to MMR_Slingr
Unhappy What Shoud I Do!!!!! Help!!!!!

OK!!!
my gear!!

i have a rc10t4 with an new lrp v7.1 speedcontrol

a fantom stock p2k2, monster, and axiom binary 2 stocks

my problem!!

motor overheats (every motor i run) no matter how i gear it. The begining of the heat races (first 2.50 mins) the motor runs like it should then from 2.50min mark to 5.00 min make the truck has no power and can barely clear the jumps. The truck losses its punch.
my truck is becoming a money pit

my attempts to solve problem!!!!!

New speed control

new motors

rebuild tranny and differental

replaced rear carrier bearing

Plzz help this is my last resort

anyone want a race ready t4 ? J/k #%^%(&*$(*#@$(*#@^$(#@)*$)(&$&#@$(*#$&(#*&$T$^#@&( *(&*$&T$%#@^(&$^@*#&^($&)*#@(&^*&$)&*_()(&^*$*_(+
MMR_Slingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:52 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

I'm not a mega-tech like most of these guys...

But I'm thinking batteries?

Good luck buddy
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:57 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Mabye you have the motor wired backwards, and have the throttle channel reversed so the motor is really inefficient?

Check your soldering, check your batteries, take the pinion off and see if there is any binding, and I dunno, ask for help at your local track or hobby shop.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

i have great batteries and new motors no reverse wired
Old 04-18-2004, 11:25 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Try your electronics in a different truck if at all possible.

Is your radio set properly? Tried a different battery and charger?
Old 04-19-2004, 11:21 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

Check your tranny for freespin. Also which motors are you running? The Binary 2's are an RPM based motor and may overheat in a truck due to the amp load to move the bigger tires. If yoyu need more help e-mail me at [email protected]
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What kind of gear cover and what brand of pinion are you running? I had issues with my old T3 when running an RPM gear cover and a Losi pinion. The Losi pinion was too wide and would rub the inside of the gear cover, causing my truck to run like yours.

If you aren't running either of those, I would pull the pinion off and check for binding like others have said.
mtn bkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:39 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

If everything is free spinning, then its your gearing. You didn't say what you're gearing it at, but a B2 needs to be geared way low. Think of it like this....if you still have the printouts from your motors, look at them. You can see that at low rpm, the amp draw is very high. If you are geared too high (low ratio) then you'll be stuck in that range for a longer period of time which in turn will drain your batteries fast and cause excess heat. You should be maxing out about half to 2/3 the way down the straight depending on how technical the track is.

What is you current gearing?
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
Tech Elite

MMR - Just to rule it out, gear your P2K2 at 19/87, that's a safe bet.

I did just think of something though...make sure your gear mesh isn't too tight; an easy way to set the gear mesh close to perfect is to put a 20 tooth pinion on there (one size larger than what you are going to run). Slide the motor forward until the gears are pushed together, and tighten the motor screws. Then take the 20 tooth pinion off and slide the 19 on there. It's not PERFECT but it'll be close enough.

Pretty much everything else has been ruled out..and too-tight gear mesh will cause major heat problems. Give it a shot.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:34 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had a problem with my gear mesh and it took me some time to figure it out. I was setting my mesh on the tighter side and basicaaly found out that you should check it at 4 or 5 spots in the rotation. Your mesh may tighten up on you only during part of the rotation. Lost 2 arms before I figured this one out.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:22 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

well ....

i am currently gearing my p2k2 at 17, 87 at planey rc raceway www.planetrcraceway.com

i am running rrp pinions

re build trany

ill look into checking the gear mesh at different locations of travel

I got one more question???

If i put a current limiter chip in my lrp v7.1 would it soften the current to the motor under immediate acceleratioin making it run cooler?
Old 04-19-2004, 09:37 PM   #12
Tech Elite

17/87 might be too low for that motor..gearing too low can cause just as much heat as gearing too high.

Let us know how everything works out.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:43 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MMR_Slingr
If i put a current limiter chip in my lrp v7.1 would it soften the current to the motor under immediate acceleratioin making it run cooler?
This is just finding a temporary fix for the problem though, your motors shouldn't cook providing your equipment and setup is OK. You want to get the max power you possibly can to be competetive, especially in stock.
Andrew_XXXs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:22 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

17/87 is to low in my opinion becouse the P2K2 has the torque and usually a tight band between the bottom end and the top end so you may want to go up to a 19 and see if it gets better. Also what brushes and springs are you running on motor.
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:43 AM   #15
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

The trinity motors besides the p2k2 have a tendency to be hard to gear and can run hot very easily, especially in a truck.

You will be suprised how low guys are gearing the binary and monster stock motor.

I would do this. Take your p2k2 motor and get someone with some sort of spring checker to install springs that rate at least purple all around on your motor, cut the comm on your motor, and install new brushes. You can try 767s or 766s. Gearing may be about 1 to 2 teeth different between the two. 766s give more torque than 767s and will last longer, so I would run those. After you have properly broken in the brushes, run the motor alittle more and gentely put something thin ( screw driver, exacto blade ) on the back of one of the brushes and see if brush is boucing around, you shouldn't feel anything. If you do I believe this means your comm is out of round or you don't have enough spring tension, or both.

You stated that when you gear your p2k2 at 19 tooth your motor runs hot. When you felt it was runnint hot, on your longest straight how fast was the motor topping out? Did it top out towards the end of the straight or way early?

If it was topping at the very end of the straight, use a smaller pinion, if it was topping out way early, use a bigger pinion. Don't worry about not having punch, from what I was advised by Big Jim, rc motors don't act like engines in our cars. Most of the torque is made at low rpm so when you gear up you may even have more punch. Too low a gearing on a motor is just as bad as as too high a gearing.

so this is what I would do:

Clean up your motor as stated above

Take the vehicle without motor installed and check for any binding
Good way to do this is just roll the vehicle around and listen.

Run the vehicle with your gearing for about 2 minutes around the track, check the motor temperature. If it feels hot, let it cool down, change your gearing as stated above, and continue to test.

About your current limiter chips, you should run a lower setting, max about 50A . Running no limiter is not recommended. I ran at most about 50A in my truck and touring car.

this should help you fix your problem.
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote