Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/8th Soft case lipo fears in the UK!!!!!!!!!! >

1/8th Soft case lipo fears in the UK!!!!!!!!!!

1/8th Soft case lipo fears in the UK!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

found the link:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10869

thats a really good price at $40 a pack:

Old 04-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

the horror lipo video's are all forced, connecting a single already damaged cell to a 12V lead battery, i mean come on.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Cain...

hat is the pack I ordered, two of them actually. I will let you know how they run when I get them. It is built to the ROAR spec, but has not been submitted for approval as far as I can tell. Most tracks should be fine with that, but if they check the listing on the ROAR web site, that pack will not be on it.

UK.hardcore...

You are absolutel correct. I have yet to witness a LiPo going off for any reason. I have seen a few puff up a bit, and I recovered a few from under 1 volt per cell wihout a disaster. I did hear a report of one going off at a race here at Hot Rod Hobbies, but never heard what was the couse. I do know the guy who tossed the burning carr of the track and burried it in sand. He said it was going pretty good, and it was smoking for quite a while. My guess was a wiring short and the fire was the wire insulation, which will happen with any pack capable of 100+ amps. Most NiXx packs will just drop out and fail as the wires only get hot, not hot enough to ignite plastics like a serious LiPo can. Maybe the requirement should be that an independant person has to look over the battery mounting and wiring in the car to be sure it is a safe setup.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
found the link:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10869

thats a really good price at $40 a pack:

Thanks for the comments Guys, & thanks Cain for the link...i missed that Lipo!
shame its not a 5 cell but you never know they mite well bring a 5 cell out.
No stock at the moment but back in stock within 30 days aparantly.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

This issue has reared its ugly head up here in the northeast as well.
It went so far as to require a lipo sack as mandatory.
This is at an outdoor offroad track.
Alot of indoor tracks especially carpet tracks mandate hard cases and lipo sacks. Easy to understand as carpet is expensive and noone wants to see a building go up in flames. People tend to get tunnel vision and forget that we race on dirt and outside of any buildings. They get so wrapped up in safety that they do not realize the only real danger is too the vehicle itself. Nothing else left to burn.
In the end after some civil discussion, no battery requirements other then a max of 6s and no lipo sacks for outdoor racing.
Just a little education can go a long way where this issue is concerned.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I know it sounds crazy, but if the racers would unite and demand the policy to change, then there would be change. Maybe even leave a race collectively.

More people die every year from the regular flu than do so from the swine flu.... To me, the hardcase argument very similar -- someone turning a non-issue into a big issue and profiting on it in the process.

ben
Old 04-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wow! There is some good reading in here.

I personally have had one Lipo fire, from the battery tray cracking and the Lipo shorting out on the steering post. Partially my fault (driving) and partially battery tray (delrin cracks if too thin)

I have had TWO Nimh fires, just driving my E Savage and one cell just popped like a bottle rocket, at TWO different times. But no one thinks Nimh's are bad.

The fires caused be Lipos are usually caused by mishandling and lack of judgement on the cars owner/driver.

I now have over 20 lipos for my cars/planes.
I don't keep them in a metal box.
I didn't buy a charging bag.
I balance charge EVERY TIME and use a voltage cut off on almost all my cars, the Slash gets Lipo treatment with no cutoff and I have yet to discharge lower than 3.0 as I STOP when it slows a little or other people's cut off or finish with a Nimh.

Tracks need to have a waiver and fire supression available, not kill the hobby.

Battery companies need to quit buying $40 Lipo's and slapping a $120 "brand X" sticker on them.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R-E-A-P-E-R- View Post
The ROAR rules are about making money. They make money everytime someone submits a battery for approval. Same thing with there new Body Approval deal. ROAR just wants there cut of everyones profit. Unfortunately it just rolls on us and makes the hobby more expensive.
That's the most ignorant thing I have ever read on this site
Old 04-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by los2 View Post
Hi Guys, over here in the UK 1/8th electric is not that popular unfortunately.
we are trying to get a 1/8th brushless class going in one of the many race series we have over here but we have been told that we MUST use hardcase lipo's, because of the 'aparant' dangers of piercing the soft case leading to 'aparant' explosions etc etc.
I run a zippy flightmax lipo 5 cell 30c (softcase) which to the UK cost me 44 ($66)
now i am being told that i need to run hardcase, of which the best price i can find is around 220!!! for the same spec battery.
just out of interest what are your guidelines for any regional race series regarding lipo?
also does anyone know of any explosions/fires caused by impact on a race track in the US?
I have never seen a lipo fire before. I've heard of hit happening, but it is rare. Most of the time though it's because of improper charging, overheating or sometimes a defective battery. Never heard of one blowing up due to puncturing.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The only lipos i have seen really flame was a losi 4 cell hardcase and a maxamps hardcase
Old 04-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
That's the most ignorant thing I have ever read on this site

Ehhh, after ROAR's mishandling of the motor rule for 4WD SC and the caviler attitude that some of us were subject to, I don't foresee myself ever participating in another ROAR event again.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

I run only hardcase, when my battery is dead an I pull the body off and it's covered with rocks, dirt and whatever crap was on the track. When I remove the pack from the car every single time there are small rocks under the pack that have been grinding on the chassis and battery the whole run. I don't think a softcase pack would make it two cycles before it had many holes in it, the track I run at is well prepaired and very nice but it's offroad and loose dirt, rocks, sticks, nut&bolts from other cars are normal. I'm sure if hardcase is the rule then prices will drop as they will sell more, what might be nice is a plastic case to put the softpack in. Someone had mentioned a few posts back that they had a battery box, that sounds like the perfect thing. If I had a battery box and still had to run hardcase I'd be pissed........BB
Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buggy Brad View Post
I run only hardcase, when my battery is dead an I pull the body off and it's covered with rocks, dirt and whatever crap was on the track. When I remove the pack from the car every single time there are small rocks under the pack that have been grinding on the chassis and battery the whole run. I don't think a softcase pack would make it two cycles before it had many holes in it, the track I run at is well prepaired and very nice but it's offroad and loose dirt, rocks, sticks, nut&bolts from other cars are normal. I'm sure if hardcase is the rule then prices will drop as they will sell more, what might be nice is a plastic case to put the softpack in. Someone had mentioned a few posts back that they had a battery box, that sounds like the perfect thing. If I had a battery box and still had to run hardcase I'd be pissed........BB
ive taken a wrist rocket and tryed to pucture the soft case with a steel ball bounces off ive ran soft cases for a year now with no problems turnigy packs i now have the 4 cell hardcase and they work great also ,,,,,,my soft cases still going strong also over a year old .....zippy packs there ok too
Old 04-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by oneblackram View Post
ive taken a wrist rocket and tryed to pucture the soft case with a steel ball bounces off ive ran soft cases for a year now with no problems turnigy packs i now have the 4 cell hardcase and they work great also ,,,,,,my soft cases still going strong also over a year old .....zippy packs there ok too
I've pushed a screwdriver through a few toast lipo packs and it takes only minimal force, feels like hard foam. Of course run like crazy and wait until the fire, smoke and spitting juices subside.......BB
Old 04-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ROAR may have issues, but according to the 2009 financial they made $325 from approval fees.

I may become a member as it's not a huge fee and that is where they make most of their money as well as race entries.

It apparently has elected members, and ONLY 77 members voted. So I'm thinking only those 77 get to bash ROAR rules.

I don't agree with some of the rules, but I'm not a member and I didn't vote. So I'll stop bashing ROAR....